dog losing weight

MNTonester

dog losing weight

Post by MNTonester » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 am

my old lab, Chaz is eating just fine but is losing weight. He had a tumor removed 3 weeks ago and it was benign so I don't know if it's the pup giving him fits or why it is he's losing weight. He's as enthusiastic as ever about fetching and eats plenty. For those who have ever specifically fed a dog with the intention of putting some meat on his bones, what have you fed that worked? Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: dog losing weight

Post by shags » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:02 pm

My old guys get fed more frequently throughout the day, so you might go to 3-4 meals to get more into him. Sometimes my guys' extra meals are more like snacks, for instance a hunk of raw hamburger or some chicken necks.

But you also might do better to have some bloodwork done to make sure he hasn't got some pathology going on before you add things to his diet. For instance, renal failure can be hastened by certain common foods, and slowed by a special diet. Maybe your vet ran a panel before the surgery and can go over it with you?
Through the years we've had some old guys that lost weight due to bad things going on inside. But we've also had some who were perfectly healthy, just thinner as they aged. It helps to know what you're dealing with.

Best wishes for lots of good years.

Luminary Setters

dog losing weight

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:36 am

Take Shags advice and talk to your vet first.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: dog losing weight

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:38 am

Some people cant feed 3-4 meals per day. Simply up what you feed currently and supplement. Dogs will lose muscle mass as they age.