Outdoor Kennel

Mills51

Outdoor Kennel

Post by Mills51 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Looking at TK Products and American Kennel Company for an outdoor dog kennel. Does anyone have one of their kennels? Recommendations?

http://www.tkproductsllc.com/
http://www.americankennelcompany.com/default.asp

Carolina Gundogs

Re: Outdoor Kennel

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:52 pm

I believe the TK Products is considered the much higher quality product. If you believe you would be happy with the American Kennel, you might consider the Doc Bob units from Tractor Supply. They may have heavier gauge wire than the AK units.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:49 pm

I have had good results with Dr. Bob (and the clone before it, AKC), TSC will allow you to buy gates and extra panels to configure as you wish at good prices.

Mills51

Post by Mills51 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:06 pm

The American Kennel Company isn't affiliated with the AKC American Kennel Club. The American Kennel Company has a 10 year warranty, but a very hefty price. I wanted to see if it was worth the extra cost.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Mills51 wrote:The American Kennel Company isn't affiliated with the AKC American Kennel Club. The American Kennel Company has a 10 year warranty, but a very hefty price. I wanted to see if it was worth the extra cost.
TSC used to sell a kennel just like the Dr. Bob, they called AKC American Kennel Club. We are aware of the American Kennel Company being different. Just giving you other options.

Mills51

Post by Mills51 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Interesting comparison off their website.
[attachment= there website. Obviously they are trying 0]American Kennel Company.JPG[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:05 am

With the American Kennel units, the biggest fault I see with them is the 8 gauge wire. I like the heavier 6 gauge wire. The much more inexpensive Doc Bob units sold by Tractor Supply has 6 gauge wire but not sure how the tube frame compares. The 6 gauge welded wire adds strength to the kennel as a whole. I believe the TK Products kennel offers heavy gauge wire as well.

The chart may not be giving you all the needed info as it appears to me they may have picked lower grade kennels or at least not the top of the line with some of the manufacturers to make their product stand out. I have Options Plus Kennels, and the wire is 6 gauge, heavier than listed on the chart. (From my understanding, Options Plus went out of business some years back which is another reason I question the chart).

I believe the frame size is also very important and from my understanding, nothing out lasts hot dipped galvanized. However, the whole panel needs to be done when completed at one time for best protection.

Good Luck!

Mills51

Post by Mills51 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Now looking at Mason Kennels.

demsdogs

Post by demsdogs » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:40 am

Oh wow, I just bought a X2 kennel set-up from American Kennel Company. I didn't see this chart before I bought but if anything, they are under-selling the quality of their kennel, I am *really* happy with mine, definitely HEAVY-duty. Cost more than I wanted to spend, but I'll gladly pay more for an American made product ya know?

Before I had a K9 Kennel and.. ugh, what a hunk of junk. The kennel started seriously rusting literally a month after I bought it, and they tried to tell me I needed to pay more money to have it replaced even though it was still under a 1 yr warranty. I hung up and never looked back. K9 advertised a 6 gauge wiring, but my American Kennel wiring is thicker at 8 gauge, go figure. Guessing K9 is a 9 gauge and they flipped the number upside-down.

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:48 pm

I put 12 TK products kennels in my new kennel.
I really like them, in fact I will be ordering more soon..

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm

rockyridge kennels wrote:TK Products...I really like them, in fact I will be ordering more ...
+1 ^

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:29 pm

I like Behlen Country

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:37 pm

We used the Tk on our kennel and are happy with them.
www.vommountaincreek.com

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Been meaning to post, the longest lasting kennels I have seen is two courses of cement blocks topped with 4' of most any fencing. I know of a couple that have been in continuous use for 40 years. Nearly all of the rust is on the bottom 2 feet of traditional kennels. One was topped with the inexpensive hog fencing, like 20 - 30 bucks for 16' sections. Any farm and ranch supply carries them. Held in place with treated lumber. Another used gates, about $125.00 each for ten foot sections. Still another used ultra cheap 4', 14 gauge kennels. I did not enjoy stepping over the 2' threshold when entering, but it also served to keep puppies from spilling out.