Dog checking in a little too often

chuckanut

Dog checking in a little too often

Post by chuckanut » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:30 pm

My male shorthair is about 3 years old and has been dead broke for about a year and a half. I've hunted him the past two seasons and I trust that he's broke. I'd like him to start ranging and hunting a little further and not checking in so much. Any suggestions?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog checking in a little too often

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:41 pm

If there is game there will be something to Hunt?
*being lazy gonehuntin' * ..or just making some think ?. lol

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Most dogs will become much more aware of their handler in the breaking process. How was he as a young dog? If he didn't range much before you "broke" him, there is little chance you will get a lot of independence out of him now. Time, birds and experience with getting it right will give the dog confidence to move on out in the fields.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Run him him in open areas, encourage him, and ignore him when he checks in, find a bigger running dog to run him with. It is consider better to establish an independent run then work on staunch and steady. I would just enjoy what you have, sounds like a nice dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:27 pm

As Slistoe and Neil said so well as usual. Are you part of the problem? Don't be calling him in or saying much of anything while he is hunting.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Sharon wrote:As Slistoe and Neil said so well as usual. Are you part of the problem? Don't be calling him in or saying much of anything while he is hunting.
That is .....advice
But it's Nice .
Don't you ever follow any other !!!!!..especially a another :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Robert, I have no idea what you are trying to say but it sounds like a lot of gibberish to me.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Robert, I have no idea what you are trying to say but it sounds like a lot of gibberish to me.
Whilst it's nice to agree with friends and quotes from folks who one either like or are in camp with , the dog ain't reading the posts like you or me ?
Does this make sense? or just gibberish ?
You are all very nice people and I just think you are all absolutely wonderful and sweet and nice .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Have you been drinking Robert. :)

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:08 pm

slistoe wrote:Most dogs will become much more aware of their handler in the breaking process. How was he as a young dog? If he didn't range much before you "broke" him, there is little chance you will get a lot of independence out of him now. Time, birds and experience with getting it right will give the dog confidence to move on out in the fields.
When he was a pup he took off on me a few times and I had a heck of a time getting him to come back and get in the truck. We worked that out with a lot of training in a fenced school yard with a check cord and an e-collar. When I hunted him before he was broke he would run out there a lot more. It very well may be the breaking process that has shortened him up but after a year and a half I'd think he might be getting over that. Maybe not.

I guess I'll try and keep my mouth shut as much as I can and see if he doesn't just start getting out there more often. Thanks for the advice folks. I'm always looking for a magic way to make things happen quick. Doesn't seem to work that way with birddogs though, does it.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Nothing quick or magic with dog training.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:46 am

Sharon wrote:Have you been drinking Robert. :)
Hic...Yes..Hic . :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:20 am

polmaise wrote:
Sharon wrote:Have you been drinking Robert. :)
Hic...Yes..Hic . :D
It's 5 o'clock somewhere :P

OP, take the dog to a familiar hunting area and let him do his thing. Keep quiet. His natural range will out itself after a while. However if you've been nagging him to stay close for 18 months it may take a while to get his range back, if it returns at all. Give it time, IME it can be a a gradual process; sometimes quick and sometimes glacial.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 am

He's being tentative and showing his training. Don't ever talk to him. He'll get his leg's back gradually and somewhat tentatively. I think what helps a lot is to run him in pot hole country in the prairies. The dog will be able to see likely cover at a distance and he'll learn that the birds are there and that's where he should be. Right now he doesn't trust you, he's afraid he'll get corrected for getting too far out. The trust will come in time and he'll turn back into the lovable renegade that frustrated you before. But he'll be trained.

There Robert, is that better?? :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:54 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:He's being tentative and showing his training. Don't ever talk to him. He'll get his leg's back gradually and somewhat tentatively. I think what helps a lot is to run him in pot hole country in the prairies. The dog will be able to see likely cover at a distance and he'll learn that the birds are there and that's where he should be. Right now he doesn't trust you, he's afraid he'll get corrected for getting too far out. The trust will come in time and he'll turn back into the lovable renegade that frustrated you before. But he'll be trained.

Better than better, it was excellent!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:He's being tentative and showing his training. Don't ever talk to him. He'll get his leg's back gradually and somewhat tentatively. I think what helps a lot is to run him in pot hole country in the prairies. The dog will be able to see likely cover at a distance and he'll learn that the birds are there and that's where he should be. Right now he doesn't trust you, he's afraid he'll get corrected for getting too far out. The trust will come in time and he'll turn back into the lovable renegade that frustrated you before. But he'll be trained.

Laughing loudly with a 'chuckle' right now mate . :lol: