Buddy Smith Video

Neil
GDF Junkie

Buddy Smith Video

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:42 pm

From Doug Meyer,

"Bird Dog Boot Camp. White Dog Productions has completed the new Buddy Smith Training Video and distribution is being made thru Gun Dog Supply. Field Trial Hall of Fame member Buddy Smith should need no introduction but for those who may not know, Buddy started and trained 2 X National Champion Shadow Oak Bo, Nat CHs Cedar Oak Kate, Warhoot Rogue, Cypress Gunpowder and a couple HOF dogs as well. Buddy was an early competitor in the NBHA and was duly elected to their HOF a couple years ago also.

I saw the table of contents for the Bird Dog Boot Camp video and there is a generous helping of Buddy explaining basic yard work and barrel training, the proper use of his "Buddy Stick", pigeon pole, teaching a dog to back and starting a dog on quail. This video has long been anticipated and the 64 minutes run time should be a valuable addition to your training tools." $29.99

When ordering get the Buddy Stick Kit. $12.95

Many years a 1/3 of the Field of the National Championship are dogs started by Buddy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Buddy Smith Video

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Where can I order this ? Remember I'm in Canada.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:03 pm

I am pretty sure Gun Dog Supply sells and ships to Canada.

Many of the questions we answer here are better answered on the video.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:34 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/bird-dog-bo ... g-dvd.html

Out of stock, but expected in next week. Demand is very high. And yes, they ship to Canada.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks very much.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:49 pm

BUDDY SMITH INTRODUCES THE BUDDY STICK

By Neil L. Mace

Buddy Smith of Collierville, TN is a member of the Field Trial Hall of Fame and is an acknowledged expert in starting and polishing young future champions. In most years as many as one fourth of the starting field at the National Championship at the Ames Plantation are dogs that have been through the famed Buddy Smith Program.

Buddy, is not a young man and has been training dogs for years with all the tried and true methods, but he is always seeking a new and better way to communicate with his charges. Not long ago he developed and perfected the Buddy Stick, an eight-foot long one-inch PVC pipe with a bolt through a repair link and a brass snap on the end. Buddy no longer uses a check cord or lead of any type. The Buddy Stick is used for heeling, patterning, turning, barrel work, and the introduction to birds, on to whoa training and steadying to wing and shot. It is often suggested to Buddy that he market the Buddy Stick, that it is worth a fortune as the first new, non-electronic dog training tool to be developed in the last 75 years. You can pick up the components at any hardware store and build it in 10 minutes or contact Buddy at 901-853-8376 and he might sell you one. Its proper use becomes second nature to any dog man. Buddy explains, �The Buddy Stick lets you get out in front of the dog, put him to the side, to guide him, to correct him without laying a hand on him. He can�t cower and get up under your feet when he is confused about his lessons. You can control his head, his body, his thinking.�

Fellow Hall of Famer John Rex Gates calls it �power steering� for a dog. He says, �You can control that dog without him resenting it so much. You can pull him to you, make him stand still, turn him, you have got control. He has to bend, he has no choice.� Buddy is not the first to use a pole in dog training; Mike Gould has made a four-foot version famous for retriever training, and I am told the E.R Shelly used a cane fishing pole to some purpose. When I mentioned that one day, winning Kentucky amateur trainer/handler, Ben Adams remarked, �I suspect Buddy learned this stick thing on his own, he doesn�t read all that much.� But that is what passes for humor among dog men; good natured, but coarse. We all know Buddy has good reading and comprehension skills, because he can quote from memory long passages from The American Field reports about people and dogs long dead. Not just the accomplishments of his dogs and customers, nor is it limited to the All-Age ranks, but his interest extends to all the pointing dogs.

If there is a corner stone to the Buddy Smith Method it is the Buddy Stick. I have seen it shown to dozens of people at seminars and impromptu training sessions, and almost all have grasped its significance in minutes. When it is said anyone can learn to use it, that is not an over-statement. At a recent Quail Unlimited/Ames Plantation summer camp for youths, call Quail Camp, I witnessed 12 year-olds, whose previous dog training experiences were limited to teaching lap dogs to sit, properly use the Buddy Stick within minutes of their introduction to it. It takes a push/pull movement, not unlike working a large fish on light tackle, you move the dog, stop him with a �whoa�, if he tries to sit, roll over, or balk, you pull him to you. If he won�t stand with his head high, you lightly jab him in the chest and gently tap him under the chin, almost in one motion. I don�t claim to be able to think like a dog, so I do not profess to understand this, but the dog does not seem to resent you for what should be traumatic training sessions. He does not seem to associate you to his correction with the Buddy Stick, in fact, if he reacts at all, he seems to behave as though you are rescuing him from it.

I really would like to make up some pack animal psychobabble that is so common among dog writers today, so you would think me smart, something like, �Spit in the dog�s food to show him you are the alpha, since in a pack the lesser stationed dogs always eat last.� I even saw a woman mount a dog at a hunt test, saying, �I read where you have to establish your position in the pack, and dominant wild dogs do this by mounting the subordinate ones.� I walked a way thinking, �I seriously doubt that John Gardner ever tried that.� So please just accept that, for a number of good reasons, the Buddy Stick works, and works well.

Buddy keeps different lengths of the Buddy Stick laying about for different applications, but in the main, it is the eight-foot stick that gets the most use. A five-foot one is used around the barrel, if one happens to be handy. A ten-foot one for some dogs that don�t seem to learn as well when you are closer, I even saw one that must have been fourteen-feet in length, but never found out its use, perhaps it had just not been cut to the proper length yet.

Buddy explains his abandonment of the mainstay of most dog trainers, the check cord, with, �The check cord is a sure way to get one to flagging. You are pulling him back to you, he is pulling forward, then you are jerking, and he is flopping around out there. He does not learn to stand still, and if he doesn�t first learn to stand still, he can�t learn anything else.� He goes on, �A lot folks lead a dog up to a bird, try to work it from behind, or loop the cord around a tree or something, all the while the dogs is leaning into the cord. He is not learning to stand; he is just realizing he can�t get to the bird, yet. A lot of flagging problems comes from this. Flagging is often a kind of an absent mindedness thing. That, and expression of their uncertainty, they aren�t sure what it is you want. The Stick eliminates that before it even starts.�

Buddy works the dog from in front, jabs the dog in the chest with a �whoa�, then releases then with an �all right� only to stop them after a step or two, or even a half step. It is �whoa�, �all right�, �whoa�, �all right�, in rapid succession, until the dog fully grasps the commands. At this point the dogs are gradually conditioned to the e-collar, and it effectively becomes an extension of the Buddy Stick. With the Buddy stick attached, with the end held in one hand and the electronic collar set to its lowest level, Buddy gives a command such as �Whoa�, and then tickles the dog with a light stimulation. If the dog continues to move, he gently prods him with the stick, repeats the command and perhaps, adds some higher stimulation.

As the dog progresses through the program, he is allowed off lead, but drags the Buddy Stick as a reminder to retain his manners. It is crucial, to win, that Buddy�s dogs point and back with a high head and tail, that they not only point, but that they do so with great style. In �whoa� training, and on to staunchness and steadiness to wing and shot, the Buddy Stick not only retains this important style, but often intensifies it. The dogs have great confidence in what the handler wants, as they were restrained from ever making a mistake and having to be over-corrected. Buddy believes as many management gurus do, as he says �You catch a dog doing something right and reward them with treats and petting, you always set them up to succeed. Never trick the dog into making a mistake so you can correct him, that destroys trust. The Buddy Stick builds trust, since the dog can never make a mistake if you use it properly�.

When asked how much a timesaver it is, how much does it cuts down training? Buddy responds, �It still takes a good while to train a dog, but I suspect it will take off about a third in yard training, letting you get to the other stuff sooner.�

The Buddy Stick is not just for All-Age field trial dogs, nor even just pointing dogs, but all gun dogs. I seen it used to line steady retrievers, and to �hup� train springers, there is an application for it in all types of dogs and dog training. Such as introduction to water, or to enter a crate, load in a truck, mount the whoa barrel; in fact, nearly any close drill lesson can be made easier for the dog to learn with the Buddy Stick. The Buddy Stick is one of the few new training tools to be developed for dog training in some time, it is inexpensive, easy to construct, and its use is nearly intuitive for beginning trainers on to highly experienced ones.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:05 pm

The new Buddy Smith DVD is back in stock at Gun Dog Supply.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/bird-dog-bo ... g-dvd.html

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:13 am

How about we put the Buddy Smith ads in the" hunting and dog related items"..................Cj

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:19 am

Thanks Neil...just ordered it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:42 am

cjhills wrote:How about we put the Buddy Smith ads in the" hunting and dog related items"..................Cj
How about we let the moderators make those decisions? And you just skip them or block me?

I post them here because 90+% of the questions we answer are covered in the video or would be avoided.

There are many other fine dog training programs, and I am in no way detracting from them. I am a fan of the Smith program and know many of the others work very well. This video is new and should be of general interest.

Neil

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I bought this video but have little use for it.

I shut it off when the dude lets the dog dangle from his throat off the side of the barrel. No thanks.

If someone wants it, PM me.