anticipation....

DudeRN

anticipation....

Post by DudeRN » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Bird season opens next week here in NH, and I swear my Brittany knows it. She was pointing like crazy at a bunch of flickers in a field on our walk this afternoon, then found a nice woodcock to point, flush, and point again. This girl wants to hunt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Re: anticipation....

Post by NEhomer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:06 am

My setter pup's about to have his first bird season....he only knows pigeons and a few wild bird flushes. It's me who's the excited one!

Great pic....good luck this year. Hope you have good grouse numbers up there.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:22 am

Without a doubt they understand. The weather changes, they hear us talking, These little four legged creatures are way more in tune then we think. Also good luck to everyone going out with a young dog for their first hunting experience under real time. No more training wheels and watching them put it together. :D

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:51 am

Season has been open here for a couple weeks, but other than a couple of days of moderate temps it's been quite warm and lately its been high humidity so it doesn't feel like hunting to me. Heck colors only started to show last week so it still feels like pre-season training to me. I'm taking my shotgun with me when we go out, but honestly I've only tried shooting once and we did get the grouse. I'm finding that I'd rather take pictures and video with my phone and use my blank pistol. Forecasts are showing a break next week so hopefully that will make feel more like fall to me.

I don't know how much the dogs care as they are still getting out a lot and finding plenty of birds. I suppose they may miss the retrieving, but they still love to find them.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Keep that dog on birds. It will pay off. Good luck

art hubbard

blank pedigree forms

Post by art hubbard » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:35 am

Does anyone on here know how to get blank pedigree forms or have any they would like to sell. I would like to make up a pedigree for a couple of dogs I want to breed. Thanks

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:05 am

DudeRN wrote:Bird season opens next week here in NH, and I swear my Brittany knows it. She was pointing like crazy at a bunch of flickers in a field on our walk this afternoon, then found a nice woodcock to point, flush, and point again. This girl wants to hunt!
She's looking like a very patient dog, waiting for you....The two of you will have a good time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: blank pedigree forms

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:33 am

art hubbard wrote:Does anyone on here know how to get blank pedigree forms or have any they would like to sell. I would like to make up a pedigree for a couple of dogs I want to breed. Thanks
I use to get them from Purina but that was years ago

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:49 pm

I am anticipating my Brittany being shot over for the first time this season later next week. I am living not so much in anticipation as in trepidation. She will be hunting for pheasants, partridge, snipe and maybe woodcock with rabbits and hares around too.
I've been taking her dogging-in to ensure she is steady but when I took her today the wheels fell off big-time ! Instead of pointing a pheasant at about 100 yards out from me along a thick hedgeline she dived in and pegged it and then killed it ! She then had the cheek to do a very nice delivery with the poor bird.

I'd been firing off blanks when she flushed on command the birds she'd pointed so maybe she just got fed up with me "missing" so many birds and thought she'd help me out ?...... Aye, right ! :roll: :x

She will be the hunting dog for a line of labs on a walked up day and the lab handlers and guns just about all seem to be field trailers or even field trial judges. I think I could get a very red face !

Yours in trepidation,
Bill T.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Not that unusual for a 6 month old dog. Enjoy the process. :)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:50 am

Hi Sharon, it's my 2 years old Brittany I'm going with not the 6 month old springer. :)

Bill T.