AF rules regarding designated flusher?

KwikIrish

AF rules regarding designated flusher?

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi guys,
I'm about to start looking through the rule books, but I figured I might get a quicker answer to my question here.
Does the AF have a rule allowing for a designated flusher for someone who is incapable of walking without assistance (ie crutches)?
Just had another hip surgery and would like to run a dog in the regional coming up, and my PT cleared me to ride by then, but I will still be on crutches, so flushing would be a no go. Any specific link or personal knowledge and experience with this is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Kelli

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: AF rules regarding designated flusher?

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Not sure it is in the guidelines, but it is often done in AFTCA. I would call the Field Trial Secretary or Chairman and ask before entering. Pretty sure they will be happy to let you. Be sure to get a letter from the doctor or physical therapist. AKC has some extensive procedures to allow it and even allowing other reasonable accommodations for handicapped handlers, including use of a 4 wheeler.

I know one of the clubs would not let Hoyle Eaton have one, but that was an Open stake and may of since changed. Many were outraged.

Good luck, you are a trooper.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Neil wrote:Not sure it is in the guidelines, but it is often done in AFTCA. I would call the Field Trial Secretary or Chairman and ask before entering. Pretty sure they will be happy to let you. Be sure to get a letter from the doctor or physical therapist. AKC has some extensive procedures to allow it and even allowing other reasonable accommodations for handicapped handlers, including use of a 4 wheeler.

I know one of the clubs would not let Hoyle Eaton have one, but that was an Open stake and may of since changed. Many were outraged.

Good luck, you are a trooper.
Got the doc orders specifying 6 weeks on crutches so I'll be covered there. The chairman is going to look into it as well, but we may have to make some calls...
Thanks Neil

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:33 pm

You are welcome.

I think you should contact Piper Huffman at AFTCA.

I really think you are fine, it is mostly up to the club.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Kelli -

There is no provision for or against a designated flusher in the American Field rules which cover Open and NOBN- AFTCA amateur stakes.

In AFTCA sanctioned stakes(regional championships and National Amateur championships, there is no written rule in the bylaws, but there may be some provisions acted on by the board of trustees.

Best to check with the trial chairperson. I suspect that they will be quite accommodating to the situation and will very much appreciate the advance notice. Just be certain that your designated flusher is instructed not to give the dog any commands. That would constitute double handling. In the past, I have acted as designated flusher for a couple of folks who could not get up and down a horse in the field and it was no big deal to anyone at the trial.

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery and "GO kick some Butt!"

RayG

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 pm

Please let us know how this works out. I hope you take the blue.