Wolf Attack

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Wolf Attack

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:31 pm

cjhills wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
cjhills wrote:You are not going to mistake a wolf for a coyote. Every wolf I have seen is gone quick.
A shotgun even with 6 shot is quite effective at close range......................Cj
n,

There is not a person on this board that can tell a young wolf from a mature coyote. No one.
Well, you are wrong about that. There is at least one. They do not look at all alike. Sometime if you get a chance visit the Wolf Center in Ely, Minnesota. The young wolves do not resemble coyotes at all and when you see them in the wild their actions are totally different.....................Cj
The DNR has had to do DNA testing on several animals killed in our area to know for sure if they are wolves or coydogs. Plus there are different sizes of wolves and coyotes so it is pretty hard to always know, even for the experts and it sure can be impossible to tell when they are moving through the timber. Just seems a lot of them just won't stop and stand still out in the open for closeup identification. But even then it is hard to know for sure without blood tests.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:42 am

The MDNR did DNA testing on a road Killed Mountain lion, to make sure it was a mountain lion. Everybody that saw it knew it was a mountain lion.
Of course an animal seen running through the woods may be hard to identify. But, wolves and coyotes are very different in looks, As Dead Mike says you will learn quickly. When you see a Grey Wolf you know it is a wolf. They are pretty unmistakable.
My main point was this, While I do not advocate killing off the wolf, if you are bird hunting and need protection for you or your dog, your shotgun is very effective at close range. It is only legal if they are after you. ................Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:37 am

It is very easy to tell a MATURE Gray Wolf from a Mature coyote, especially in N. Alberta, they are bigger wolves than we have. I lived in N. British Columbia for a few years and the wolf were huge up there. Even up there if you get a 40# wolf and a 40# coyote, it's hard to tell them apart. In our part of the country they are basically the same color, at least some are.

About three years ago, maybe four, they shot two wolves where I live. The DNR tested them because NO ONE including the warden that instpected them were sure what they were. They were killed in front of hounds in the winter. I saw one of them and I would have shot in in a heart beat for being a coyote.

Nobody here, I don't think, was ever advocating killing a wolf unless he or his dog were under attack.

Fact is, the GREATEST FAVOR we could do for the wolf was to pepper him with a load of #8 shot at 50-60 yards or more whenever we see one. It wouldn't hurt them a bit and teach them to be wary of man.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:59 am

ezzy333 wrote: The DNR has had to do DNA testing on several animals killed in our area to know for sure if they are wolves or coydogs. Plus there are different sizes of wolves and coyotes so it is pretty hard to always know, even for the experts and it sure can be impossible to tell when they are moving through the timber. Just seems a lot of them just won't stop and stand still out in the open for closeup identification. But even then it is hard to know for sure without blood tests.
It is difficult to compare your area of IL to northern MN or even Central WI when it comes to wolves.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:10 am

Grange wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: The DNR has had to do DNA testing on several animals killed in our area to know for sure if they are wolves or coydogs. Plus there are different sizes of wolves and coyotes so it is pretty hard to always know, even for the experts and it sure can be impossible to tell when they are moving through the timber. Just seems a lot of them just won't stop and stand still out in the open for closeup identification. But even then it is hard to know for sure without blood tests.
It is difficult to compare your area of IL to northern MN or even Central WI when it comes to wolves.
I am not comparing area but rather comparing wolves and coyotes. We have no resident wolves and the ones killed here are from WI and MN as far as we know. However the ones killed further south in western IL and also clear down in the Shaunney Forest of southern IL are somewhat of a mystery from what I have heard. The last resident wolves we had were back before I can remember but my Dad talked about hearing them quite often so without looking it up I am assuming that it was in the 1930's or there about.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:There are many of the larger predators or maybe should say all of them that do not fit well with farm life and domestic animals. I have no interest in seeing any of them extinct but I too am not prepared to live with animals that do not co-exist with the animals we use and need in out everyday lives. Sorry but in many cases it is a choice that has to be made, either it's them or us, animals or people.
The problem with this comment is of all the animals in the world, Homo sapiens are the ABSOLUTE WORST at co-existing with other animals. We have eradicated more animals than any other species. Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family (including my dogs), but let's think before we make a black and white choice.

We have created this problem, this tension, by living where they lived first. That after native Americans lived with Wolves for a long time. Again, let's think critically before acting rashly.

The problem with this quote is that you do not acknowledge that as a species, Homo Sapiens are predators at the top of the food chain!

Grange

Post by Grange » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Grange wrote:
I am not comparing area but rather comparing wolves and coyotes. We have no resident wolves and the ones killed here are from WI and MN as far as we know. However the ones killed further south in western IL and also clear down in the Shaunney Forest of southern IL are somewhat of a mystery from what I have heard. The last resident wolves we had were back before I can remember but my Dad talked about hearing them quite often so without looking it up I am assuming that it was in the 1930's or there about.
If you're not comparing areas then why bring it up? Like you said because wolves are not common in your area so if one is found in that area then it is not unusual to do DNA testing. That area is not their natural range whereas it is their natural range in northern MN and central WI.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:24 am

This is their natural range as much as Wisconsin. We just haven't reintroduced them like they did further north. And if you read back I didn't bring anything up as I was just responding to a prior comment. Sorry it bothered you but your comments will not change the facts. I have no personal reason to care, so I will bow out as I have no further information on what they have to do for proof of identity.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:38 am

ezzy333 wrote:This is their natural range as much as Wisconsin. We just haven't reintroduced them like they did further north. And if you read back I didn't bring anything up as I was just responding to a prior comment. Sorry it bothered you but your comments will not change the facts. I have no personal reason to care, so I will bow out as I have no further information on what they have to do for proof of identity.
Wolves were not introduced in Minnesota they never left. That is a fact.
They may have done some restocking in Wisconsin. I do not know.........................Cj

Grange

Post by Grange » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:07 am

ezzy333 wrote:This is their natural range as much as Wisconsin. We just haven't reintroduced them like they did further north. And if you read back I didn't bring anything up as I was just responding to a prior comment. Sorry it bothered you but your comments will not change the facts. I have no personal reason to care, so I will bow out as I have no further information on what they have to do for proof of identity.
WI did not reintroduce wolves. The point is management of wolf sightings in their natural range like central and northern WI and N. MN would and should be different than sightings in IL. So to bring up how they manage sightings in IL is not that relevant to how they manage sightings in central and northern WI and N. MN.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:46 am

Grange wrote:
WI did not reintroduce wolves. The point is management of wolf sightings in their natural range like central and northern WI and N. MN would and should be different than sightings in IL. So to bring up how they manage sightings in IL is not that relevant to how they manage sightings in central and northern WI and N. MN.
We are talking identification, nothing less, nothing more.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Again today Yahoo had a feature about wolves. This video shows an actual attack on a dog wearing a go pro. It gets ugly around 5:30 in, so be aware. The dog lived; the owner found it and was able to get it to a vet. The incident occurred in Sweden, and the dog is an elkhound. I wonder if a bird dog would have survived.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwoURqHdADQ

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Interesting. It's like the wolves were just playing with it. They tear hounds here apart and eat them on the spot. That Elk Hound gave a darn good account of itself though.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:50 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Grange wrote:
We are talking identification, nothing less, nothing more.
That's right. And identification in their natural habitat is likely different that it would be in areas where they are not commonly found. So as I said comparing the two identification methods is not a good comparison.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:20 pm

There was a big study done about 15 years ago on the genetics on some wolves in Algonquin park and other parts of eastern Canada. Results were that the long forgotten red wolf "brush wolf" had made a comeback. They are most definitely resemble a large coyote. I wonder if that's what you guys are seeing down there?
I lived in Prince Rupert BC for a few years and they have the costal wolf. They were all Black and Tan in colour. Neat looking and actually roamed the town at night. In fact the local dog walking trail had a keep your dog on leash signs because they had taken dogs right in front of people with no fear. They looked to be about 100lbs max.
The majority of wolves I see here in AB are black...but I have literally seen them in all colours including pure silver. Some will amaze you in size.
The black wolf on GrimsMonsterMash website was taken in northern AB.
Beautiful animals. This year in AB it's been grizzly attacks and cougars on humans. I can't think of wild wolves ever attacking a man.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 pm

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:14 am

dead mike wrote:Image
The wolf that dropped that cell phone must have gotten tired of howling and went high tech.

Mike

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:45 am

MJB64 wrote:
dead mike wrote:Image
The wolf that dropped that cell phone must have gotten tired of howling and went high tech.

Mike
Nope. Calling in a dog to eat.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:31 am

Timewise65 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:There are many of the larger predators or maybe should say all of them that do not fit well with farm life and domestic animals. I have no interest in seeing any of them extinct but I too am not prepared to live with animals that do not co-exist with the animals we use and need in out everyday lives. Sorry but in many cases it is a choice that has to be made, either it's them or us, animals or people.
The problem with this comment is of all the animals in the world, Homo sapiens are the ABSOLUTE WORST at co-existing with other animals. We have eradicated more animals than any other species. Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family (including my dogs), but let's think before we make a black and white choice.

We have created this problem, this tension, by living where they lived first. That after native Americans lived with Wolves for a long time. Again, let's think critically before acting rashly.

The problem with this quote is that you do not acknowledge that as a species, Homo Sapiens are predators at the top of the food chain!
Timewise, I don't know if you've ever seen a wolf in the wild, or a bear in the wild, but in that moment it's hard to feel like you're the top of the food chain, even with a gun in your hands.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. Wolves have not decimated whole species, or have been nearly as destructive as people. Check out Genesis 1:26. It explains the difference between us and other animals, as well as our responsibility.