Wolf Attack

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Wolf Attack

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:05 pm

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/ ... er-pk-380/.

And so it starts. A result of full protection.

MNTonester

Re: Wolf Attack

Post by MNTonester » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:35 am

that can't possibly be true. everyone knows wolves are just a couple of degrees from being house pets

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:49 am

MNTonester wrote:that can't possibly be true. everyone knows wolves are just a couple of degrees from being house pets
We had the same problem a few years ago at the farm with house pets but they are just a few degrees from being wolves.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:48 pm

LOL.. No self respecting Army Vet would carry a .380. I call B.S. :D Serious though, Wolves would be very low on my list of concern.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:LOL.. No self respecting Army Vet would carry a .380. I call B.S. :D Serious though, Wolves would be very low on my list of concern.
And empty chamber?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:24 pm

The wolf's world has changed and there is no niche left for them to occupy in the Upper Great Lakes.....however, reintroductions and encounters will continue to carry rather selfish excuses and imagined justifications in hoping that reality can somehow be bent to fit them....and so, the beat will go on.

That said, I see the source of the article and so wonder if there is not more to the story...on every point.
I detest the preaching to choirs sitting with mouths agape like baby robins waiting to be fed....anything.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:46 pm

There was a very reason why our ancestors did their level best to eradicate wolves and bears, yet sparred some of the smaller, less threatening predators.

They knew with which they could coexist.

I love seeing these majestic creatures, just not in my backyard.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:45 pm

There are many of the larger predators or maybe should say all of them that do not fit well with farm life and domestic animals. I have no interest in seeing any of them extinct but I too am not prepared to live with animals that do not co-exist with the animals we use and need in out everyday lives. Sorry but in many cases it is a choice that has to be made, either it's them or us, animals or people.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Typical sensationalism.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:The wolf's world has changed and there is no niche left for them to occupy in the Upper Great Lakes.....however, reintroductions and encounters will continue to carry rather selfish excuses and imagined justifications in hoping that reality can somehow be bent to fit them....and so, the beat will go on.

That said, I see the source of the article and so wonder if there is not more to the story...on every point.
I detest the preaching to choirs sitting with mouths agape like baby robins waiting to be fed....anything.
Have you ever been to Northern Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin there is a huge area which they occupy. I am not saying it did not happen, but every wolf I have seen was leaving the area quickly. I am not sure but it seems like there has never been a proven wolf attack on a human......Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Yep...been going to Yooper land for quite a while...heading up nort in a week and a bit, as a matter of fact.
In that time I have seen one wolf and the tracks in the sand of the road of one other, which I believe we occassioned to move out as we made a loop with one of the dogs.

Not sure your point.....I, personally, am not a whit worried about wolves, as to my dogs or myself...tho bad stuff can certainly happen to good dogs :( ...even bird dogs out looking for birds.
Mostly and despite lightning strike encounters, we all know that bear dogs and beagles get the brunt of the effect during certain times of the year in the Yoop.
Not sure where the U.P. wolf population presently stands.....the last allowed hunt only took about half the quota, as I recall, fwiw.

Lots of land to us is not necessarily lots of land for a wolf pack(s)...dem boys cover some ground.
And, were one to have a farm and lose some stock or are training dogs and lose a hound then I expected size of the Seney or wherever would represent little comfort. :idea:

As to wolf attacks on humans, I agree but why not take it up with those here and elsewhere who use every Internet surfed encounter as a free pass to raise yet again the politics of wolf reintroduction by way of ..."oh, my God....did you hear...?" type stuff.
I simply believe that the time of the wolf in the UGLs is past and reintro is a sore waste of money and effort(same as elk in WV), I neither hate wolves nor fear them....I do love to hear them.
You disagree?...oh, well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:57 pm

cjhills wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:The wolf's world has changed and there is no niche left for them to occupy in the Upper Great Lakes.....however, reintroductions and encounters will continue to carry rather selfish excuses and imagined justifications in hoping that reality can somehow be bent to fit them....and so, the beat will go on.

Have you ever been to Northern Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin there is a huge area which they occupy. I am not saying it did not happen, but every wolf I have seen was leaving the area quickly. I am not sure but it seems like there has never been a proven wolf attack on a human......Cj
That used to be true but not anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:04 pm

They should be here , but not in my back yard :wink:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:02 pm

This is the second attack in wi. The first one in Jackson county, they took out the entire pack after it happened. They don't run from you anymore in Wi. since they are again protected. There are quite a few hunters that have been confronted or trailed by them.

Then there's the jogger killed in Alaska.

I carry a .45 on an empty chamber. From my experience with them, there's plenty of time to chamber a round. This ain't crime fighting.

What is so interesting about this attack is how far South it occured.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:12 pm

polmaise wrote:They should be here , but not in my back yard :wink:
Actually they are in my back yard. we very rarely see them. But I find where they kill deer and my neighbors lose cattle to them. 32 were trapped in a 4 square mile area starting across the hi way from my house last fall.
Mountaineer: What is the UGLS? They were not reintroduced In Minnesota, They were always here..Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Thing is Chills, you can hunt and trap them in Mn. That makes them wary of man. In Wi. They are fully protected hence having no fear.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:There are many of the larger predators or maybe should say all of them that do not fit well with farm life and domestic animals. I have no interest in seeing any of them extinct but I too am not prepared to live with animals that do not co-exist with the animals we use and need in out everyday lives. Sorry but in many cases it is a choice that has to be made, either it's them or us, animals or people.
The problem with this comment is of all the animals in the world, Homo sapiens are the ABSOLUTE WORST at co-existing with other animals. We have eradicated more animals than any other species. Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family (including my dogs), but let's think before we make a black and white choice.

We have created this problem, this tension, by living where they lived first. That after native Americans lived with Wolves for a long time. Again, let's think critically before acting rashly.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:29 pm

Also, I have a hard time believing a wolf, an animal that can run down a deer, elk, or bison, missed a stationary man. World's most uncoordinated wolf I guess.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:55 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:There are many of the larger predators or maybe should say all of them that do not fit well with farm life and domestic animals. I have no interest in seeing any of them extinct but I too am not prepared to live with animals that do not co-exist with the animals we use and need in out everyday lives. Sorry but in many cases it is a choice that has to be made, either it's them or us, animals or people.
The problem with this comment is of all the animals in the world, Homo sapiens are the ABSOLUTE WORST at co-existing with other animals. We have eradicated more animals than any other species. Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family (including my dogs), but let's think before we make a black and white choice.

We have created this problem, this tension, by living where they lived first. That after native Americans lived with Wolves for a long time. Again, let's think critically before acting rashly.

And we can continue to live with them if you will take care of reducing our population back to the level it was when we co-existed. I don't buy the premise they were here first since our ancestors have been here for eons the same as theirs. I don't feel comfortable apologizing for being on the top of the predator list but I do hope we treat it humanely and sensibly.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Also, I have a hard time believing a wolf, an animal that can run down a deer, elk, or bison, missed a stationary man. World's most uncoordinated wolf I guess.
There are better things to do than sit at a computer trying to find any little thing that might say someone else's post is wrong. Just not the way we prove or disprove anything.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Also, I have a hard time believing a wolf, an animal that can run down a deer, elk, or bison, missed a stationary man. World's most uncoordinated wolf I guess.
There are better things to do than sit at a computer trying to find any little thing that might say someone else's post is wrong. Just not the way we prove or disprove anything.
Didn't you just do exactly that in your previous post?

Ezzy, like other scientific minds, I'm skeptical by nature. I question what I see, hear, and read. It simply struck me as odd so my skepticism overwhelmed me.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:13 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy, like other scientific minds, I'm skeptical by nature. I question what I see, hear, and read. It simply struck me as odd so my skepticism overwhelmed me.
It's what he does continually. Your the third one that thinks the story is fishy, I believe that says a great deal.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:17 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Thing is Chills, you can hunt and trap them in Mn. That makes them wary of man. In Wi. They are fully protected hence having no fear.
No you can't they are federally protected.
I think the story could be fishy also.............Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:02 am

cjhills wrote:Mountaineer: What is the UGLS? They were not reintroduced In Minnesota, They were always here..Cj
UGLs...upper great lakes

Yes, I was speaking to the somewhat renewal of or sporadic interest in dem wolves and the spreading or increasing or husbanding of the populations by those desperately needing a cause....and the ruffed grouse decline in affected areas does not carry the panache of Mr. Big Bad. :|

I would not quibble with your comment or with the occasional impact with humans tho I expect the particulars best define those situations and to expect abject fear from wolves suddenly targeting us...is best not determined by anecdote or a minimum of points upon a line thought to indicate a trend.
Certainly, loss of fear matters as would hunger or injury or on and on as regards depredation or opportunity for depredation.
Using any or the minimum of data points as fear food or trend indication would be a bit off and early in the game, to me.....much like climate being climate.

The wolves lost their fed protection for a spell in the Yoop in three specific areas hence the hunt and quota.
Not sure where that stands now or if the powers that be wish to make another run at wolf reduction.

The wolf's day is done....one can travel if interaction is desired...sadly, much like the ruffed grouse.
Personally, I place more interest on other critters and, especially, on habitat threats and loss.........as habitat is driver.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:01 am

Frankly, Mountaineer, I have a hard time figuring out what the heck you are talking about most of the time. The wolf population is alive and well in Minnesota. They will be around for a long time. Do not worry about their days being number. Wolves, as with all canines have remarkable recovery when habitat and a good food supply( white tail deer and calves) are available......................Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:56 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

I have no idea if the story is true or not but will wait and see what else we hear. I also tend to be skeptical of most things but I am not sure I want to be the one to disprove it when I have no knowledge of the event. That's all I am saying.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:20 am

cjhills wrote:Frankly, Mountaineer, I have a hard time figuring out what the heck you are talking about most of the time. The wolf population is alive and well in Minnesota. They will be around for a long time. Do not worry about their days being number. Wolves, as with all canines have remarkable recovery when habitat and a good food supply( white tail deer and calves) are available......................Cj
Frankly, I do not doubt your lack of understanding.
Such a claim often follows discomfort with an opinion.

Minnesota..is not the world as to wolves, eh?
Day being done relates to a larger America......where extinction is not the only game and extirpation is expected based upon the reality of their needs and the reality of us.
Which group is trending up in a steeper curve....wolves or humans?
The answer indicates the viability of wolves....other than in a few token areas where there exists true wilderness or "wilderness" without the possibility of a human staking a claim and so, able to be offended and reaching for a smoke pole.

You confuse an honest look and given opinion with "worry".....I am not worried about or by wolves, at all.
Your confusion does appear designed to help suport your agenda re dem wolves.
I simply see no need to laud a wolf or kick out at them....other critters need concern....more.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:44 am

I certainly have no problem with your opinion nor am I confused by it. I have no agenda to support, just stating a simple fact.
I simply did not realize you meant in every corner of the America, Since your post clearly says" I simply believe that the time of the wolf in the UGLs is past". You are wrong about that. You are right in a good share of America the days of the Grey Wolf are numbered In most they are already over. In the northern tier of the USA and Canada, which when I last looked was part of America,they are not. That is a very large area, most of which is uninhabited
plenty of room for a wolf to live his life and never have a human encounter.
Hope you find a Grouse or two on the U.P. We also have a healthy population of Rough Grouse and they are not in danger of being extinct any time soon..........................Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:12 am

Well, when you admitted to having a hard time....that lead me to one obvious conclusion.
I clearly meant to include the UGLs as most know the wolf is neither a resident nor a visitor over most of the country, and honestly, all of that "northern tier" American area would not prove equal, as to serving a wolf or increasing wolf population...of that, I am confident that I am correct.
Your wishes are doomed to fail in the majority of UGL areas....most so as WE expand our populations and stomping grounds.
Now when you begin to, out of argumentative necessity, add Canada :D :roll: then, there are, as I noted, wilderness and wilderness-ish areas which can support wolf packs....up der in Alaska as well...even some spots in those UGLs...for a while.
But, then there was that pesky wolf season in the Yoop based upon...negative interactions....so perhaps, for some wolf agendists, they should smell the tea that the time for dat wolf is short in a few locales presently assumed prime.

Yes, "ruffed" grouse vary widely across their range due to both blessings and curses, it is a shame the bird is often considered and managed from a single perspective of need and viability.
That mistake has occasioned a portion of their regional decline.
I think, if you understood the ruffed grouse, you would find that extinction is not the operative word....most places.....extirpation is the word.
Stick with wolves!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:54 am

If you can not Blind with brilliance, try Baffling with BS. It is working for you. I did not think it was arguing You brought up America. Thanks for your interaction. I live in the wolf area. I Neither like them or hate them. They are here to stay. It is problematic when the kill my neighbors cows which incidentally are very easy prey. So why waste the time on a deer
We had a season to years in a row the quotas which wee quite high were reached quickly. I would have to look up the number killed but I am thinking between one and two thousand. Thanks again for your Incites. You get the last word I am done..........................Cj
Oh, By the way people who live on UP do not like outsiders calling them Yoopers

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for the opportunity.....stick with Minnesota!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Turns out they managed to get a photo of one of the wolves. :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:25 pm

nikegundog wrote:Turns out they managed to get a photo of one of the wolves. :D

Hmmmm....looks like California habitat....northern tier.
I remain unconvinced.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:48 pm

I would be fairly certain that American Hunter contacted the DNR and did not just take the person's word. The DNR, especially in any case involving a wolf, thoroughly investigates each case on site where it occured, since you can only shoot a wolf if your life is threatened. I'm not sure it's true, but it's probable to me that it is true. Since the wolves exploded in our state I've always carried a pistol. I like carrying a pistol anyhow. 8)

gspman

Post by gspman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:23 am

wolves kill livestock and dogs every year here in Wis

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:26 am

gspman wrote:wolves kill livestock and dogs every year here in Wis
Both cows and dogs are more likely to cause the loss of human life than wolves.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:45 am

A PRO wolf group has now confirmed that the attack did happen. Their take on it is, that the NRA is sensationalizing it to sell bigger pistols. :roll: :roll:

Now, if you want to read an biased article, read that one. The woman in charge of it has also been deleting all comments that are opposite of her view.

http://wolvesofdouglascountywisconsin.c ... egal-hunt/

Make sure you read the comments at the bottom especially from the soldier involved in it.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:33 pm

I personally don't believe the story. Nothing about it sounds right, it's been sensationalized. In fact the guy sounded a little nuts.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:51 am

I find it very interesting that the MN DNR, in their Fall game synopsis cautions about mistaking a wolf for coyote - especially since the wolf territory has expanded into farm country. Each Fall, I'll take off a day or two from work to hunt near the St. Cloud area and for the last two years, one of the farmers, whose land I hunt, has mentioned wolves being in the area, and noted that the wolves don't run when they've been spotted. For that reason, I have started to pack a pistol when I hunt there. Should there be an encounter between my dogs and wolves (however minimal that might be), I don't want my dogs coming out on the losing end of the deal. Just sayin

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 am

I haven't seen any wolves or sign of them in the St. Cloud area. Maybe I'm in the wrong spots but I hunt quite a few locations. Can you give me a general area so I can be aware while out? Thanks.

However, I did see a bear near Little Falls in September.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 am

You are not going to mistake a wolf for a coyote. Every wolf I have seen is gone quick.
A shotgun even with 6 shot is quite effective at close range......................Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:53 pm

As sportsmen we should remember that one of the best ways to preserve open land is to have a population of endangered or threatened species living on it. Wolves will help prevent areas from being developed and de-natured, which in turn is good for us as outdoorsmen and hunters.

For perspective, there are over 31 gun-related homicides a day in the good ol' USA, and some get in a lather if people question what's up with that?

But if a Wolf looks at someone sideways it's killing-time. Doesn't add up.

Bill

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Spy Car wrote:As sportsmen we should remember that one of the best ways to preserve open land is to have a population of endangered or threatened species living on it. Wolves will help prevent areas from being developed and de-natured, which in turn is good for us as outdoorsmen and hunters.
I will only partially agree with that statement. Listed species can certainly provide some habitat protection (though it's not a guarantee), but they can also limit habitat management.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:15 pm

cjhills wrote:You are not going to mistake a wolf for a coyote. Every wolf I have seen is gone quick.
A shotgun even with 6 shot is quite effective at close range......................Cj
n,

There is not a person on this board that can tell a young wolf from a mature coyote. No one.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:49 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
cjhills wrote:You are not going to mistake a wolf for a coyote. Every wolf I have seen is gone quick.
n,

There is not a person on this board that can tell a young wolf from a mature coyote. No one.
Well, you are wrong about that. There is at least one. They do not look at all alike. Sometime if you get a chance visit the Wolf Center in Ely, Minnesota. The young wolves do not resemble coyotes at all and when you see them in the wild their actions are totally different.....................Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:24 pm

There's a wolf display in Park Falls YOU should visit. Just how are their actions different in the wild? Sometimes the wolves are more boldness but sometimes not. Have you ever actually seen a wolf in the wolf?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:39 pm

I have visited the Park Falls wolf display. Not even comparable to the Wolf Center, where you can see the wolves in action and here them howl.
If I had not seen a wolf I would not tell you what they look like. the first thing you will notice on a young wolf compared to a adult coyote is that it's feet are at least twice as big. Second, coyotes lope and wolves trot. They just do not look alike.......................Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:13 pm

And you're going to be able to see rage foot size as they're running across a field? Far as I know, all canines trot and all canines lope.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:25 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
n,

Come up to northern Alberta. If you can't tell the difference you will learn pretty quick because both are thick up here. And it sure isn't very hard to tell the difference. Muzzle, legs and colour. In fact it's pretty easy IMO