Porcupine troubles

minigooch

Porcupine troubles

Post by minigooch » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:41 am

1st hunting dog 1st grouse season 1st day 1st porcupine..off to find local vet . To many quills for me to try to remove ,quite a few in roof of mouth, over $200 bill from vet. Dog was usual self 2nd day so we hunted until another porky(not same area) encounter a few hours in , not as bad as previous about 20-30 quills,killed porky...back to camp , leashed dog wrapped towel around eyes pulled out quills . How can I avoid this or when will he learn, if ever ? I'm a little reluctant to head back in woods but am heading back to camp (in Maine ) next week to hunt . Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance ! Mike

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Porcupine troubles

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:07 am

Aversion training, same as for deer or snake. Hopefully he's a collar dog. Find a dead porkie and walk him past and downwind of it. As soon as he scents it, hold down the button on the collar on high intensity and keep walking. Don't say a word to the dog. Do it again. Next day do it in a different place. What you want is for the dog to whine and shy away whenever it smells one. Not a fun thing to do but cheaper than the alternative.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:19 am

I have never had one learn, and they are much harder to proof, as are skunks; snakes are easier to catch and keep. You can try proofing him on a dead one, but that has not worked well for me. My best results come from catching them in the act and using the e-collar on high. I took one back that was full of quills to proof him.

Thankfully they are rare where I hunt and I have never had one seriously harmed. But they can be.

I would continue to hunt, but he would have a freshly charged e-collar on.

Do a search here to learn how to proof.

Vision

Post by Vision » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:20 am

What breed of dog?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:19 am

Probably a shorthair. They hate porkies the worst. Had one that had hundreds of quills. Must have tried to kill it. Roof of mouth tongue under tongue lips snout. Hundreds.

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 am

Moxie is a 20 month intact male GSP. Part of my problem is that the woods here are so thick that the dog can be 15 yards and not be visible. Maybe pet insurance is a good idea if he keeps up this $%!T. Thanks !!

gspman

Post by gspman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:40 am

i have to word out to all i know to bring me a porkie dead or alive, every shorthair i have had has had multple run ins with porkies.
Ended up killing my Budman in the end (formed a chest cavity Bulla). Best dog i ever owned.
I am getting a new gwp this spring, and come H@!! or Hi water he is going to trained to avoid them.
The woods where i hunt grouse is thick, By the time i know that he is on one its too late.
Its too hard on the dogs to get the quills out of them, without anethesia