Concrete for dog runs

kansas86

Concrete for dog runs

Post by kansas86 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:57 am

We are getting ready to pour concrete for our new dog runs. I know the general recommendation is light broom finish. Our concrete guy says that will leave too many holes and urine will soak in even with being sealed. He recommends a trowel finish and it can be broomed for texture when almost dry, it will not be smooth but there won't be a lot of texture. This guy knows concrete but I was wanting an opinion from people that know dogs. Will this be ok? thanks

Also, any opinions on 1/8 in pitch vs 1/4 inch pitch?

Thanks

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Concrete for dog runs

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:30 am

Your concrete guy is right. Take his advice about the pitch. Mine pitch to the back and one end into troughs wide enough for a sharpshooter to fit.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Concrete guy is correct. The more pitch the better. 1/4" per ft. Is a standard pitch.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:33 pm

My run is troweled smooth with no broom finish. It is much easier to wash that way. I or a dog has never had a problem with slipping. A bit more pitch does not hurt if you just want the urine to run off and scoop the solids. Sometimes you get puddles in 1/4" to the foot. I like 1/2" per ft.................Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:49 pm

We pour showers and they're all sloped to the drain at 1/4" per ft. That's code. The only time you could ever goet a puddle is if the concerts isn't smooth, that there are depressions in it. Then it doesn't,t matter what the pitch, it'll puddle.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:14 am

I had a concrete floored kennel built years ago. It was on kind of a hillside and it dropped two full feet, in sixteen feet of length. I loved it having that much of a slope, it dried in minutes most of the year. I told my contractor to finish it smooth. He didn't communicate this to his employees and they put a very rough broom finish on it. I wasn't happy and I let him know it. Constant shoveling and spraying smoothed it down quite a bit over time, however. I think if I did it again I would ask for the rough finish.

kansas86

Post by kansas86 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:16 pm

Thank you all, sounds like 1/4 inch slope and troweled finish.