house dog

cartae11

house dog

Post by cartae11 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:32 pm

How many of u keep your bird dog in the house? A guy told me a good dog is not a house dog. I just wanted to see some opinions.

Dakotazeb

Re: house dog

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:02 pm

The guy that told you a good dog wasn't a house dog didn't have a clue what he was talking about. That's just some very old school thinking. All my hunting/field trial dogs for the past 40+ years have been house dogs and I'd put them up against any dog in the field. I'm sure many more on this site will agree with me.
Last edited by Dakotazeb on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:15 am

My dogs live in the house.
20141206_171751_zpsb8ce8dfd.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:16 am

That's some serious hooey. Here's a bunch of field champions...

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:16 am

2 very good hunting/house dogs here. They spend 10 hours a day in nice kennel runs- When I get home from work they are with me the rest of the time.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:09 am

Very old school.... thought was being in the home would hamper a dogs scenting ability. I haven't owned a hunting dog that couldn't find birds... all were house dogs.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 am

Keep both of mine in the house. I doubt it hampers any of their ability. The only drawback is having to bath a dog that REEKS of swamp after a duck hunt.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:11 am

I have had seven Golden Retrievers all top dogs some SH some MH, but all top dogs in the field for both upland game and waterfowl.

They all have been house dogs.....I generally disagree with this myth. But, I believe some dogs bred for upland, unless exercised aggressively do better when kept outside.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one!

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Timewise65 wrote:I have had seven Golden Retrievers all top dogs some SH some MH, but all top dogs in the field for both upland game and waterfowl.

They all have been house dogs.....I generally disagree with this myth. But, I believe some dogs bred for upland, unless exercised aggressively do better when kept outside.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one!
I would agree with the : But, I believe some dogs bred for upland, unless exercised aggressively do better when kept outside.
Some dogs

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:28 pm

Both dogs are house dogs. Let my 2-year-old grab, crawl and play with them whenever he feels like. They even sneak onto our bed once in awhile.

Oldest is my first hunting dog. VC'd him myself. Has hunted since he was four months old and has begun his fifth hunting season. The other is now three years old. Absolute bird NUT. Between the two of them, I could eradicate the Asian bird epidemic in North Dakota (given enough PTO).

So, yes...house dogs can make great bird dogs.

cartae11

Post by cartae11 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Ya that's what I figured. I have an 8 month old brittany that has been in the house since 8 wks old. He's coming along nicely but still has along ways to go but a guy told me I'd ruin him by keeping him inside. I just laughed and said time will tell. Lol. Thanks for all the responses

reba

Post by reba » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Heck, the house is one thing, but I have 3 in a 22 foot travel trailer for the next 3 months! Each gets it's turn to lay in bed with me for good dog time.

Wacked a couple of Sharptails this morning after the fog cleared, with good work from these "house" dogs.

Life is better than good!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:20 pm

cartae11 wrote:Ya that's what I figured. I have an 8 month old brittany that has been in the house since 8 wks old. He's coming along nicely but still has along ways to go but a guy told me I'd ruin him by keeping him inside. I just laughed and said time will tell. Lol. Thanks for all the responses
Haha ruins them the same way that playing outside will ruin a child.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Mine's a house dog. That being said, he has a bit too much energy for me in the house. Still a good house dog though.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Ahh Good chance to post a picture.:)

Always kept my dogs in the house. People who think they are too much for the house aren't giving them enough exercise - probably just walking them around the block.

"Don't even think about putting us out of the house."

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Spoiled rotten house dogs. Dynamos in the field.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 am

cartae11 wrote:How many of u keep your bird dog in the house? A guy told me a good dog is not a house dog. I just wanted to see some opinions.
I must say it's an ole wives tale. Had dogs my whole life however only my last two have been called bird dogs ( by me :D ) That said with both of them ~ they have gone to work with me daily , stay in the house and have been socialized to the 9's . Both had & have on-off switch's and love & live to hunt. If you think about it these animals love to please. The more time you spend with them the more they learn what it is you ask of them.

(IMO) My final answer ~ Ole wives tale

Pheasanttracker

house dog

Post by Pheasanttracker » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:44 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444221790.697560.jpg
. Mine is kept in the house and my wife would not allow me to keep her (the dog) outside. I do agree that exercise is key. Too easy to end up with fat house dogs.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:05 am

Our dogs are house dogs. Wouldn't have it any other way. When they're wet, they're restricted to the kitchen until they dry out. Too much a part of the family to isolate them

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:53 am

Looks like everyone is on the same page with this question. I just think the extra time that you have with the dog in the house helps form a stronger bond between you and the dog. I wouldn't have it any other way.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:11 am

I think where the old theory of keeping them kenneled came about because the feeling was that they would be spoiled because the wife and kids would not make them mind. And there can be some truth to that. But I think that can be overcome by training the other family members what and how to treat them and also just by the extra love and care they get.

Ezzy

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am

I've seen kenneled and back yard dogs that just never develop into what they could have been. I think intelligence has to be developed in a dog. Living with them as part of the family doesn't guarantee anything and bad habits can develop. But I think generally you end up with a much more rounded dog when living in the house. I see many kenneled dogs that aren't worked with nearly enough and just don't develop into the kind of dog that could have been possible.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:58 pm

I have never understood the thinking behind this so-called myth. I can't imagine why a dog's hunting instinct or drive has anything to do with whether it is an inside or outside dog. If anything, I would think a house dog would likely be more bonded to its handler and do better in the field.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:25 pm

In almost a half century of living with hunting dogs and other than the occasional crating of a pup or sick dog in the mudroom, I've never allowed a dog to live in the house.

My in laws have two lap dogs that run around their house all day and sleep in their bed. Frankly, all that business grosses me out. My wife tried that business when we were dating and I told her it was a deal breaker.

All you folks that do it, I'd assume your dog's getting dirty when you exercise them so are you washing your dogs everyday or something?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm

I try to wash them every 2 or 3 years but other than that they seldom get very dirty.

Coach

Post by Coach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:42 pm

I honestly cannot imagine not having my dogs in the house.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm

AlPastor wrote:In almost a half century of living with hunting dogs and other than the occasional crating of a pup or sick dog in the mudroom, I've never allowed a dog to live in the house.

My in laws have two lap dogs that run around their house all day and sleep in their bed. Frankly, all that business grosses me out. My wife tried that business when we were dating and I told her it was a deal breaker.

All you folks that do it, I'd assume your dog's getting dirty when you exercise them so are you washing your dogs everyday or something?

X2....but I think we're out numbered ! LOL

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 pm

AlPastor wrote:In almost a half century of living with hunting dogs and other than the occasional crating of a pup or sick dog in the mudroom, I've never allowed a dog to live in the house.

Your wife sounds like a saint! :mrgreen:

Of course I don't wash them everyday. But I'm not a germaphobe. I can't blame 'em for doing what I want them to do, and in all honesty, I'm probably just as dirty when I get home and sit on the couch.

The one exception is after a day of retrieving ducks out of the mud. That warrants a bath.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:53 pm

I agree with the premise Ezzy started. To a dog being in the house can mean nothing and then again, depending on what occurs in the house it can mean everything. Too often I hear people say they have owned a dog or dogs all their lives and a good number of those people mean a sample size of give or take half a dozen animals. This sample size is as flawed for dogs as you might imagine it is with people. Many, many undesirable behaviors occur from spoiled dogs and as it is with spoiled people these things are justified as unique or special rather than what they are...whish is undesirable.

Behavior in dogs needs to be measured in the individual behaviors of the animal and its relation to what people want and will tolerate. Dogs are pack animals and their hierarchy is important to understanding and influencing their behavior. At the end of the day with a bird dog we are asking for a partnership of mutual predators, controlling that relationship can be made more difficult and conversely more tolerable depending upon the temperament and perceived position of the animal and the talent of the trainer or dominant partner. If a pro trainer tells you your problem is a spoiled dog, I always advise to listen with an open mind and hear what they are saying not what you want to hear.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:29 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:

Your wife sounds like a saint! :mrgreen:

Of course I don't wash them everyday. But I'm not a germaphobe. I can't blame 'em for doing what I want them to do, and in all honesty, I'm probably just as dirty when I get home and sit on the couch.

The one exception is after a day of retrieving ducks out of the mud. That warrants a bath.
My wife is a saint. It's too bad that she got conned into getting hitched to an ahole like me. :)

I'm not a germaphobe but I'm not a fan of the dirt, hair, bugs, poop remnants, etc either.

Also, even if it wasn't for the above, I've got almost a dozen dogs. It would soon become their house and I'm not on board with that either.

While our house is very modest, the previous owner was breeding race horses so it has two stables. I converted the smaller 12 horse stable into a 24 indoor/outdoor run dog kennel and fenced some of the horse pasture for the dogs to run around in.

They have their space. I have mine.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:43 am

Field Champions, bird dog's; they've ALL been house dogs. It is a great benefit to the dog's training to keep it in the house and there are no downsides to it.

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 am

ezzy333 wrote:I try to wash them every 2 or 3 years but other than that they seldom get very dirty.
That's impressive. I don't think I can go through a summer without having my dogs find something to roll in by the cottage at least once. My dogs are house dogs, but they are not allowed on the furniture.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:27 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I try to wash them every 2 or 3 years but other than that they seldom get very dirty.

ROFLMBO..... I bathe my 3 outside after almost every run / hunt as they seems to find swamps etc and they live in the house. We have a hot and cold water faucet outside which is great.