CDN_Cocker

Re: Great Cocker Footage

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Nice dog

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Very enjoyable but could use some clarification on how the whistle was used ( and what bird was that ?) .

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Its a turn whistle.... kind of hard to follow those UK clips... the dog barely ranges farther than their shoelaces sometimes it seems so hard to connect the whistle to when it turns. Nice cocker work nonetheless.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Sharon wrote:and what bird was that ?) .
I think they were like the pheasants we get stocked at our WMA at the end of the season, tailless.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Others have said it was a wild bird trial, but I don't know. It looked more like something from the grouse family than a pheasant. I was just impressed with how busy the little guy was, nothing would have escaped him larger than a grasshopper. Not sure, but I don't think he hupped on the flush. Maybe one of our UK friends will drop by and explain some details.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:27 pm

We hunt over cockers every year for pheasants in PA. They are friggen amazing pheasant dogs. With any luck, the breeders will continue to breed amazing bird dogs, and maybe even return cockers to be consistent bird dogs, and not just the lap and show dogs most of them have become.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:37 pm

jetjockey wrote:We hunt over cockers every year for pheasants in PA. They are friggen amazing pheasant dogs. With any luck, the breeders will continue to breed amazing bird dogs, and maybe even return cockers to be consistent bird dogs, and not just the lap and show dogs most of them have become.
There is a very distinct difference between American and English cockers.... most english ones are field bred so are consistently producing excellent bird dogs. The former, well... not so much. They are 2 very separate breeds.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 pm

You are watching 'thee' most successful undisputed competition spaniel handler in the world with over 100 Field Trial Champions of both Cocker's and Springers.
That 'work further than your boot laces remark 'Cass' ?... :roll: ..the dog is to flush game for the 'gun' !..At times in the clip the handler and gun could see no further.
Game sits tight in that cover and at a championship ground it has not been 'shot' until the day of the championships ,so the birds have never been 'moved' :wink: .

The 'Difference' ?> would be the 2nd run ! ..the dog has to retrieve through 'Live game' and ignore it in the quest for the shot game .

Great 'Dog man' and can read a dog in seconds !..
He just doesn't get invited to many 'Dinner parties' :mrgreen: ...But that's not a bad thing !
Sharon, the bird is a 'Hen Pheasant' . :wink:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:22 pm

polmaise wrote:You are watching 'thee' most successful undisputed competition spaniel handler in the world with over 100 Field Trial Champions of both Cocker's and Springers.
That 'work further than your boot laces remark 'Cass' ?... :roll: ..the dog is to flush game for the 'gun' !..At times in the clip the handler and gun could see no further.
Game sits tight in that cover and at a championship ground it has not been 'shot' until the day of the championships ,so the birds have never been 'moved' :wink: .

The 'Difference' ?> would be the 2nd run ! ..the dog has to retrieve through 'Live game' and ignore it in the quest for the shot game .

He just doesn't get invited to many 'Dinner parties' :mrgreen: ...But that's not a bad thing !
I meant nothing malicious with my comment. Spaniels are just required to work closer across the pond than they are here. Most people here are unfamiliar with how a spaniel hunts here, therefore watching UK footage is a bit misleading as our's work a bit differently. Regardless, I stand by my first comment... Nice dog.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:25 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:The former, well... not so much. They are 2 very separate breeds.
Separate breeds of owners would be more specific :wink: .both sides of the pond ?.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:29 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote: Most people here are unfamiliar with how a spaniel hunts here, therefore watching UK footage is a bit misleading as our's work a bit differently.
I'm sure the audience worked out that it was not in the US or Canada :lol: , therefore ,there would be a difference :wink:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks so much Polimise for the excellent explanation.

I am still not clear if they are planted, pre-hunt release, or born in the wild pheasants. Whichever it was fantastic dog work.

Also, was I right that he did not hup on the flush? Was that what you meant by ignoring a flush when on a retrieve?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:10 pm

polmaise wrote:You are watching 'thee' most successful undisputed competition spaniel handler in the world with over 100 Field Trial Champions of both Cocker's and Springers.

Excellent post! Thanks. I saw that bird flush when the dog was sent on the retrieve of another bird and wondered . So that a good thing to follow through on the retrieve as initially directed?

That actually looks like a dog for an old person- little walking. I'll have to think on that. :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Neil wrote:Thanks so much Polimise for the excellent explanation.

I am still not clear if they are planted, pre-hunt release, or born in the wild pheasants. Whichever it was fantastic dog work.

Also, was I right that he did not hup on the flush? Was that what you meant by ignoring a flush when on a retrieve?
These birds would have been raised as day old chicks ,then put in 'release pens' at 6 weeks old, then allowed to live free in that area ,but have feeding stations to ''keep'' them in the area, hence the term 'Gamekeeper' .
If you refer to the 2nd run?..where the 'Mark' , shot bird when the dog was sent but 'en-route' a live bird flushed ?, then yes! ..the dog was and should go directly to the 'shot bird' :wink: ..No easy task ?
As a footnote : Truly ''wild'' pheasants in cover as shown would ''run'' and ''Run'' and ''RUN'' if 100 people and fifty dog handlers and the world media set foot on that ground :wink:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49 pm

polmaise wrote:
Neil wrote: ...
As a footnote : Truly ''wild'' pheasants in cover as shown would ''run'' and ''Run'' and ''RUN'' if 100 people and fifty dog handlers and the world media set foot on that ground :wink:
Much different terrain, and I have never been accompanied by world media, but in about 10 days I will be hunting born in the wild pheasants with their cockers cousin, the Boykin. True some will run, but usually most to thicker cover and hunker down. May have to hup a couple times for me to keep up, but they will get a good number in the air.

Although I try to reserve them for the pointing dogs, the Boykins will also put up some Huns and sharptail that venture into the thicker cover.

I have no doubt your little guys would do very well over here.

Again thank you for the tutorial.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:54 am

Neil wrote: May have to hup a couple times for me to keep up, but they will get a good number in the air.

Although I try to reserve them for the pointing dogs, the Boykins will also put up some Huns and sharptail that venture into the thicker cover.

I have no doubt your little guys would do very well over here.

Again thank you for the tutorial.
No problem ,Happy Hunting .
Unfortunately the option to handle two different breeds for two different functions is not a luxury available in the Championships :lol:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:59 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote: Spaniels are just required to work closer across the pond than they are here. Most people here are unfamiliar with how a spaniel hunts here, therefore watching UK footage is a bit misleading as our's work a bit differently. Regardless, I stand by my first comment... Nice dog.
Watching any footage can or could be misleading ?
How familiar are you ?
1. Can you clarify why spaniels are just required to work closer across any pond ?
2. Can You clarify why 'Most people' !! are unfamiliar how a spaniel hunts here or any where?
3. ''Nice dog'' ? How many 'good dogs have you seen'? ..Just so that I have judgement on how many bad ones you are gauging against :wink:
Just for clarification you understand :)
Nothing personal :wink:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:49 pm

If its nothing personal why are you replying a week later?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:If its nothing personal why are you replying a week later?
My apologies for not replying sooner . I have been busy training dogs at this time and it is the height of our hunting season.

If you can answer the questions without a question that would be great :D
Apologies to the OP , but I'm sure it will be beneficial .

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Take a few jabs and then say "nothing personal"? I am calling BS.
Mike

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 pm

MJB64 wrote:Take a few jabs and then say "nothing personal"? I am calling BS.
Mike
Yea, you are probably right , I should have not emphasised that it was nothing personal in my vein attempt over text to appear non personal.
Some interoperate it that way.