Reconciling the wind

Gertie

Reconciling the wind

Post by Gertie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Something I've been intrigued by that seems to be a juxtaposition with regards to running big vs smart hunting is the wind. If you're running with the wind it seems that a smart dog will run out a ways with the wind up his rear for a while but will eventually, if he's actually working with you, turn around and head back towards you using the with the in his favor. If a dog continues to run ahead with the wind at his back is he even really hunting or is he just running to the front like the good boy he's supposed to be? Thoughts from the wise?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Reconciling the wind

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:38 pm

"If a dog continues to run ahead with the wind at his back is he even really hunting or is he just running to the front like the good boy he's supposed to be?" quote

I think that dog is hunting , but is just not very good- not had enough experience- at using the wind. Good judges I have had often commented on how my dog is good at using the wind. They've never accused the dog of not hunting to the front when she makes that comeback against the wind along a hedge row . I would bet though that some judges may not understand the finer points of those two scenarios. :)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:48 am

Of course the dog must learn to use the wind to his advantage, but that never excuses doubling back or quartering and wastefully covering the same ground twice. The proper way to hunt the scenario you describe is for the dog to go from productive objective to objective. I have seen the smart ones run 20 yards out in a picked, bare cropfield, testing for scent to his side with every step, then hunt part of the other side. In smaller fields, a wise handler will hold up at the entrance and allow it to develop.

You are also presupposing the dog absolutely cannot detect game unless the wind is in his favor, which is not neccassarily true. I have seen them point with a 40 mph blowing up their backside. Rarely does the wind consistently come from the same direction, most often it is varying in speed, shifting and swirling. In hunting or laying out a field trial course you would never go in a straight line, you would never get back to the truck if you did so.

But as Sharon confirms you are right, a good judge (in a trial or hunting) considers how the dog uses the wind in conjunction with the terrain, objectives, and even time of day and weather. Never rewarding a dog that is running for the sake of running. It gets complex and takes a lengthy explanation, but how and why there are stop to flushes is a consideration, also.

I am interested in differing opinions, I think it an important discussion.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:17 am

So well said and MUCH better than I said. Always learn from your posts Neil. Thanks.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Neil wrote: I am interested in differing opinions, I think it an important discussion.
Not Bad ! ?
''wind'' ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDdhuzB9Pzc