MTCK SIZE

Hotchkiss

MTCK SIZE

Post by Hotchkiss » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:36 pm

I have been looking at these kennels and a few others. The MTCK SEEMS a lot large than it needs to be for a 55 pound GSP. I could maybe see it if I were hauling a 100 pound lab. Does anyone have a MTCK that could offer their opinion on the overall size of a slide in box?

reba

Re: MTCK SIZE

Post by reba » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:32 pm

WHAT SIZE IS IT?

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:50 am

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:05 am

Just by looking at it, if it is a slide in for a full sized truck, a 2 hole box is way bigger and way taller than you need for a bird dog. If it is a slide in for a mid-sized truck. it would be better but still way too tall.

I had an older 2 hole slide in that had top storage. The top storage was nice, but honestly, I came to realize that the use of the rear view mirror was more important to me than the storage.

Most 2 hole slide ins for full sized trucks can fit two dogs in each hole. with no problem. You do not want to give the dog enough room to sit uup or even stand up comfortably. You want to encourage them to lay down...for their own safety's sake.

However, a 3 hole slide in for a full sized truck is a bit too narrow, IMO, for a 50# bird dog.

RayG

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:52 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Just by looking at it, if it is a slide in for a full sized truck, a 2 hole box is way bigger and way taller than you need for a bird dog. If it is a slide in for a mid-sized truck. it would be better but still way too tall.

I had an older 2 hole slide in that had top storage. The top storage was nice, but honestly, I came to realize that the use of the rear view mirror was more important to me than the storage.

Most 2 hole slide ins for full sized trucks can fit two dogs in each hole. with no problem. You do not want to give the dog enough room to sit uup or even stand up comfortably. You want to encourage them to lay down...for their own safety's sake.

However, a 3 hole slide in for a full sized truck is a bit too narrow, IMO, for a 50# bird dog.

RayG

Here is my delima I have two males and one female. If I have to keep the female away from the males, I can't double up the males in a single hole. While they will hunt together they really don't like each other unless they are hunting.

I called and the MTCK is 20'"wide, 24" tall and 36" deep. That seems really deep. A Jones in contrast is 19" wide, 23" tall and 24" deep. Like you I prefer some portion of a reear window the Jones is only 32 inches tall total. The MTCK and Ainley seem way taller.