youth pheasant hunt

ruffbritt4

youth pheasant hunt

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Well the day finally came that I have been waiting a year for. I got my puppy in April when she was 8 weeks after putting down a deposit this time last year. Today, we went pheasant hunting. The game commission releases these birds a few days prior to the opening day. It started off slow, with my pup only finding 1 which she bumped after it ran, and then we got into 5 in probably 20 minutes. She pointed a rooster that was held up tight in a thick aspen stand and I flushed it but it went out the other side and I didn't see it until I moved, but by then it was too far away. Later on the Garmin said she was 10 yards in front of me, but I couldn't see her in the thick aspen. So while moving towards her, a hen flushes that I missed twice and that she was pointing but I couldn't even see her. On our way back to the truck she bumped 2 more roosters, but settled in and managed to point a rooster, then when it
ran she flushed it while tracking so I shot it because of the point. That seemed to have turn the light in, and we flushed more birds with a couple more points. total was 14 flushes. Ended the day with a nice rooster in the bag and a tired pup. My dad took his 2 friends sons and their fathers out with my other dog and they flushed 13. Great day. Not bad for an 8 month old pups first hunt. Will post a pic soon but might need someone to help with resizing, I can't seem to get that right. Thanks
jenny phez.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: youth pheasant hunt

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Good for your pup! and you! Sounds like a great day and a fine pic. :)

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

congratulations! sounds like a great day for you and your pup both! well done :D

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 am

Good on ye Lad. T'is grand to see a young man out hunting birds and working dogs. You are the future of the sport!

Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks everyone. I don't have school tomorrow so I'm gonna take her to a local gamelands. I'll let you know how we do. Grouse opens Saturday, can't wait.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:14 pm

I am very happy for you :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:36 am

Nice !

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks everyone. I don't have school tomorrow so I'm gonna take her to a local gamelands
Way to go. We used to have Columbus Day off which I really looked forward to having a hunting day off in October. Our PC city admin and complicit moron union dumped CD for MLK day in January. No free hunting day in October anymore and two days off during the coldest month of the year with little to do.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:00 am

So we went out today and when I got to the game lands nobody was there and I heard some roosters. We flushed 2 rooster and 5 hens, in only 2 hours. Had 2 points but she then bumped them. For a 8 month old pup I'm happy and I can see she is starting to trust her nose more. I'm going to try to get out again tomorrow night after school. I'm seeing progress so I couldn't be happier.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:12 pm

:D

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Went out to the game lands after school today. Flushed 7 birds in 2 hours. The highlight was when Jenny ran over the ridge and I hear her bell stop. I go over the top and see she is down in the bottom on point. I walk down towards her then got a picture real quick and when I start to move in for the flush she went with me, then went on point again, and a big rooster flushed. The bird was about 15 yards in front of her point. Pretty good for an 8 month old pup but I will work on her not going in when I do, but I'm happy. Then she tracked and pinned a group of 3 hens and did the same thing, when I went to flush she went in too, but this time she didn't stop again like on the rooster. Here's a picture of her on point, man that got me excited. I think she will be a great dog
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Great post; great pic. I can feel your excitement and it's giving me a thrill too. :)

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:37 pm

I have missed many opportunities because I carry my camera and try to take pictures of all of the points that my dogs make. I don't hunt without it. I am glad to see that you take the time to do the same. :D

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you Sharon and hettmoe. I will be going out again tomorrow after school but this time with a shotgun. I haven't had the shotgun since opening day because it was my first few times driving to go hunting (just got my license a few weeks ago). Since I was a 30 minute drive away my dad wanted to kind of work into it, but he said I can take my shotgun next time. So, maybe Jenny will be rewarded for a point if all goes well.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Keep us posted :D

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Hunted 2 hours flushed 3 birds. No point on the first bird. On the second she tracked it for 200 yards, pinned it and held for a minute, then flushed it while I was still walking to her. On the third she tracked this rooster for a long time, but then ran right hough and flushed him. No shots fired. 2 hens and 1 rooster. The dog and I sure had fun. Grouse Saturday