Pointing wild game ?

chrisss

Pointing wild game ?

Post by chrisss » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:15 am

My dog has been steady to point and flush and shot during game farm and planted. But i took him out on pheasant opener and it seems like he doesn't really get a chance to point or doesn't point at all. He bumped a few hen and a rooster and would chase instead of being steady. Should i be correcting this behavior? And also should i be shooting the birds if he doesn't hold point or be steady if he bumps the bird? I have talked to one guy and was told that it will come with experience. My dog is 2 years old and this would be his official season with being trained steadiness. It was very windy at about 20 mph plus that day.

ruffbritt4

Re: Pointing wild game ?

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:34 am

It will take experience on wild birds for the dog to learn. Pen raised don't act the same. Don't shoot the birds he mishandles. Also, it could take him a little more time to learn if the birds that you shot last year were mishandled

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:22 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:It will take experience on wild birds for the dog to learn. Pen raised don't act the same. Don't shoot the birds he mishandles. Also, it could take him a little more time to learn if the birds that you shot last year were mishandled
+1. Exactly.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Correct staunch, stop to flush, steady, and shoot the birds if he complies.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:08 am

Pen birds are stupid, hence most dogs can point them.

Wild birds are not stupid.

33Scout

Pointing wild game ?

Post by 33Scout » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 am

Be patient with him and don't be in to big of a hurry while he transitions to wild birds. Exposure is key. He will need a lot of exposure on wild birds. The best part is that you will see it all come together.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:15 am

Most decent dogs make the transition to what it takes to pin different birds fairly quickly as the biggest difference seems to be how close do they have to get to pin a bird and still not flush it. A little experience will allow them to figure it out. It is up to you to provide the opportunity.

Ezzy