What to expect from a trainer.

northwoodshunter

What to expect from a trainer.

Post by northwoodshunter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:13 pm

I have a topic in training kinda like this and was told to put up this one. I have a 6 mo setter pup, that i want trained in the spring when he is around a year old. I don't want to send him for more than a month, but i guess i could. Im gonna have him started decently. the trainers im looking at right now are, Stevenson Gun Dog, Outcast Kennels, Fly'n'Gun Kennels, Berg Bros Setters, and any other recommendations would be appreciated, or tips to get my pup going on field obedience and retrieving. But what should i expect from a trainer having my dog over a period of one month?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: What to expect from a trainer.

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Probably not much unless you just want work done on some stanunchess, maybe some natural retrieves.

This will give you an idea. When I was still working as a trainer this was the regimen I used no matter the breed of dog:

First week, get acquainted with the dog, no pressure, see what his interest in birds is.
Second week, start obedience on leash.
Third week continue on leash obedience continue field work with check cord.Start ff is obedience going well.
Week four, continue obedience, start force fetch.
Week five continue obedience, continue force, introduce collar.
Week six, finish obedience, finish force. Should be off leash on obedience, through force.

This should give you a rough idea. From then on it's finishing work.
Last edited by gonehuntin' on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:16 am

A year-old dog is still just a puppy. "Training" a birddog is a process of development, not a task to be completed in X amount of time.
Talk to the trainers on your list, and find out what they expect to accomplish with puppies in one month. Every program varies. As does every dog. A lot depends on where the dog is when you send him; some dogs have some experience, some have clean slates.
Personally, I would expect very little in a month from a dog that young.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 am

If someone said they could do a ff in two weeks I'd look else where. Try Grouse Points in Rice Lake Wi. 715-234-3044, Dankar Kennels in Gleason, Wi. 715-595-3062.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:55 am

Talk with the trainers and see what they say they can do in a month. I would let them know exactly how well started you have the pup and what the reasons are for sending the pup to them. I think a lot of your concerns could be answered by effectively communicating your expectations and how well they can achieve the goals and if they are even attainable.
On another note I would go with Berg Brothers. They are setter people and they get results. JMHO. Good Luck.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:11 am

Sending a 6 month old puppy to a trainer for one month is not going to accomplish much that you could not do yourself. Basically wasting your money. Just do obedience ,take him to the woods and fields, learn how to collar condition and do that, some intro to birds and gun. Save your money and send him to a trainer a year from now for three months.
No need to force fetch a six month old puppy......................Cj

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:45 am

I would not be bringing a trainer a 6 mo puppy. I take my pup to him when he is year old in spring. I don't want him to be finished or expect him to be completely ready for any hunt. I want him started on things i couldn't teach him as i am inexperienced and don't want to ruin him. I would be working on the things anyone trained him to do with him and would definitely keep working him as much as possible.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:11 am

northwoodshunter wrote:I would not be bringing a trainer a 6 mo puppy. I take my pup to him when he is year old in spring. I don't want him to be finished or expect him to be completely ready for any hunt. I want him started on things i couldn't teach him as i am inexperienced and don't want to ruin him. I would be working on the things anyone trained him to do with him and would definitely keep working him as much as possible.
Sorry, I missed that. Makes more sense. One month is still a short time to teach the dog much......Cj

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 am

A year old is a good time to send the pup. 3 months is a good time-frame to expect some real progress. A month will basically do very little for the dog's long term training. The first full week you can't expect much real progress as the trainer is just getting to know your dog. Basic obedience, here and heel - and then maybe "whoa" will take at least the next couple of weeks. Birdwork will take at least a month just by itself. If you're wanting FF done, you are looking at 3 months for all of these things.

The good news is that you've got 6 months to save up!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:21 am

I simply can't imagine being without my 'lil buddy for so many weeks!

codym

Post by codym » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:54 am

Like others have said a month isn't enough time to get much of anything done accept maybe some bird/gun intro and yard work. At a year old you really don't need much more than basic yard work and bird/gun intro, then hunt him all year on as much wild birds as possible then send him back to your trainer for 3-4 months to be broke. Just a suggestion

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45 am

It depends on how much training you want to do in advance. I spent a lot of time with my dog and by the time I sent her to the trainer she was steady to WSF. Retrieving and pretty much doing all she needed to do, but I wanted her sharpened up. Polished. At that point I sent her to Perfection Kennel for a month and she came back very polished. The best part was the 2 days that Jon spent with me teaching me how to handle the dog. If you don't want to do the pre training you're probably looking at 3 months with the trainer to get the results that you will be happy with. And yes, it is a long time to be without your buddy. Even a month seemed very long to me. But the pleasure you will receive from bringing home a well trained dog is invaluable.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:42 pm

northwoodshunter wrote:I would not be bringing a trainer a 6 mo puppy. I take my pup to him when he is year old in spring. I don't want him to be finished or expect him to be completely ready for any hunt. I want him started on things i couldn't teach him as i am inexperienced and don't want to ruin him. I would be working on the things anyone trained him to do with him and would definitely keep working him as much as possible.
Send the dog in April and May to get his yardwork, etc all down then have the dog summer camp for a couple of months.

Btw, some trainers have a 3 month maximum cost. In other words, if it takes 4 or even 5 months to finish, they charge for a max of 3 months.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:25 pm

cjhills wrote:Sending a 6 month old puppy to a trainer for one month is not going to accomplish much that you could not do yourself. Basically wasting your money. Just do obedience ,take him to the woods and fields, learn how to collar condition and do that, some intro to birds and gun. Save your money and send him to a trainer a year from now for three months.
No need to force fetch a six month old puppy......................Cj
X2

( Now you know why I suggested you post that thread NWH. I should be a politician. :) )

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:20 am

I would save your money, start looking at a trainer who trains like you do or what your dog trainined. Use this time to get out there and watch him work dogs. Then come summer send that dpg to the prairies for 2 or 3 months. You will get more accomplished than you would in 1 month. 1 month is a waste of time and money, im not even sure if a trainer would take a dog for a month or how much work he would even bother giving a dog.

I am considering sending my dog away to be finished and am looking at 4 months, January - April.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:39 pm

I talked to another trainer. I am most likely gonna do a 1-2 month training for him. At dankar kennels.