New DD pup

mtlee

New DD pup

Post by mtlee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:37 am

I got a new DD pup a few weeks ago, "Ike vom Drakehaus." We call him Huck. He's about 11 weeks old now. Has been doing great. Bold little fellow, excited about birds...did well with intro to the gun and got in the water the 2nd day I had him. Looking forward to working with him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gsarria

Re: New DD pup

Post by gsarria » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:03 am

Nice looking pup!!
Where did he come from?

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:08 am

Thanks. Vom Drakehaus, Belton SC.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:27 am

You're going to have alot of fun with Huck! :D

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Very nice!

Tell us more about where you got the pup, etc.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:46 am

pointshootretrieve wrote:Very nice!

Tell us more about where you got the pup, etc.
I got him from http://www.vomdrakehaus.com/index.jsp out of Belton, SC. I plan on using him for upland and waterfowl to replace my GSP that passed. He's been fun and easy to work with so far, I have high hopes for him!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:03 am

He will be the most intelligent, funniest, and most interesting dog you have ever worked with.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:01 am

gonehuntin' wrote:He will be the most intelligent, funniest, and most interesting dog you have ever worked with.

He is definitely smart and full and personality. He picks up things fast and is bold. He is having fun on good flying pen raised quail although I think his pointing will develop slower than some other breeds (like my EP). He is not afraid to get in the water and has been that way since he was 9 weeks old. I'll try to post some updates. It's been a while since I've had a pup, it's going to be fun !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 am

Here's another hint: these are very people-oriented dog's, some say "needy dogs". Don't EVER leave him alone and unattended then leave. He'll eat the house or truck.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:34 pm

mtlee wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:He will be the most intelligent, funniest, and most interesting dog you have ever worked with.

He is definitely smart and full and personality. He picks up things fast and is bold. He is having fun on good flying pen raised quail although I think his pointing will develop slower than some other breeds (like my EP). He is not afraid to get in the water and has been that way since he was 9 weeks old. I'll try to post some updates. It's been a while since I've had a pup, it's going to be fun !
Mine was real slow to mature, had no off switch, and has an off the charts prey drive. Subsequently, his pointing was nonexistent or at most a flash point until he was 8/9 months. From 11 months to 12 months, he turned into a different dog. You could walk around him on point and needed to pick him up. He slamed his butt to the ground when told to place. His heel work came together in 3 days including figure 8s. A rock solid whoa. Marking improved drastically.

He is a real pleasure now.

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:31 pm

mtlee wrote:

EPs pointing is slower to develop ? Never heard that before, always heard it fast to develop.

My DD was pointing birds and holding for several seconds at about ten weeks. I think its partly how you introduce them and largely on the pup. I know of some that were not pointing well until there were several months but then were rock solid.

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Here's another hint: these are very people-oriented dog's, some say "needy dogs". Don't EVER leave him alone and unattended then leave. He'll eat the house or truck.
That sounds like bad separation anxiety. Not fun to deal with at all. I have not heard of that being an issue with the breed as a whole. Interesting.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:36 pm

tobytx wrote:
mtlee wrote:

EPs pointing is slower to develop ? Never heard that before, always heard it fast to develop.

My DD was pointing birds and holding for several seconds at about ten weeks. I think its partly how you introduce them and largely on the pup. I know of some that were not pointing well until there were several months but then were rock solid.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was saying that I think his pointing will develop slower than other breeds (for example an English Pointer...which in my limited experience develop quickly). He's 13 weeks old, took him out this past weekend and he's started to flash point. I'm happy with where he is, I was just stating an observation that I made.

powbass@gmail.com

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:53 am

Get A new supply of tv remotes, dish towels,or items that holds your scent,because he will chew them up only when you are not looking. I don't know the answer why.

powbass@gmail.com

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:03 am

I forgot, I used mouse traps to curtail the counter surfing. I should have used at least 6 instead of 2.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:31 am

powbass@gmail.com wrote:I forgot, I used mouse traps to curtail the counter surfing. I should have used at least 6 instead of 2.

That's funny. And yes the remotes.....why? Why the remotes !?