great day of grouse hunting

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:43 am

Took the 8 mo pup out and we flushed 1. Then took the 3 year old and he pointed 2 grouse, both from about 30 yards from the bird. I missed both, haha. Couldn't have asked for a better performance from him. Those were the only 2 birds we found in that new cover we were exploring so he went 2/2. After waiting 2 years to finally have a reliable grouse dog I will say that it is definitely worth passing up on shots on mishandled birds. I didn't even put a big dent into that new cover as it all looked like great habitat. Also saw some new cuts so this will be great in the future. The hunting will only get better from here on out as the vegetation dies.
Last edited by ruffbritt4 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Sounds like you had an awesome day. Good luck on the future outings.

ruffbritt4

Re: great day of grouse hunting

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:43 pm

33Scout wrote:Sounds like you had an awesome day. Good luck on the future outings.
Thank you, it was a great day. Discovered 2 new covers and still have a few that I want to check out this weekend, and with no school next Monday or Tuesday I should have a great weekend. One of the places I got permission to hunt is a creek bottom that's got alders and is really thick and I think will be great for woodcock when the migration comes through here. The owner said there's grouse there, but what time of day is best to hunt a creek bottom? When I went through in the evening I didn't find any, maybe in the afternoon it'd be better.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:14 pm

I find a majority of my grouse in the alders when all the berries start to grow scarce. The grouse will begin to bud on the Alder and Aspen. I have been shooting woodcock with great success the last three weeks. Make sure you don't overlook the new covers. Hunt all of it you never know where the birds are going to be. If it looks grousy there will be grouse.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 pm

33Scout wrote:I find a majority of my grouse in the alders when all the berries start to grow scarce. The grouse will begin to bud on the Alder and Aspen. I have been shooting woodcock with great success the last three weeks. Make sure you don't overlook the new covers. Hunt all of it you never know where the birds are going to be. If it looks grousy there will be grouse.
Thanks, will be down at camp Saturday through Monday so I'll be running through some new covers and hunt our honey hole Monday. No hunting on Sundays here so just practice for the pup and doing some exploring. Hopefully get into some woodcock.