Worth Reading

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Worth Reading

Post by shags » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:58 am

RockyDD wrote:They were trained for personal hunting only and as house pets. So it was obedience training and recall. No trial or judging. They once called these dogs the type that could be used right out of the box. Meat dogs for the serious hunter.

That's why I asked if you were all field trialers. I think that is a different world. The level of training and the requirements of the dogs are a lot higher. If you were training an EP like I had you needed more than a shotgun and whip.
There are biddables and boneheads both past and present.

Go to an AKC Junior Hunt Test. Most of the dogs you'll see are the usable right out of the box type. Plenty of that kind around these days.

SCT

Re: Worth Reading

Post by SCT » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:03 pm

shags wrote:
SCT wrote:I've got a female pointer that is going through the breaking process and entering her first broke dog stake tomorrow at 16 months old. She loves to learn and handles the e-collar training well because her trainer is extremely well skilled at his job. Many training systems will work on bird dogs of today.
Best of luck to you! Those first few (or more ( :o ) broke dog stakes can be harrowing experiences :lol:
Thank you Shags. She has a placement as a derby at 8 months old, and has been trained a lot by handlers on horseback so I don't think it will be too tough on her. It'll be more a test of how well the steadiness training is sticking;-)

Steve