Supplements for older dog

birdogg42

Supplements for older dog

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Besides being in good shape, best food you can afford and plenty of water. Do you guys /gals give your older dogs ( 9+ yrs ) any supplements to help with joints/ muscle soreness etc?

Mike

UglyD

Re: Supplements for older dog

Post by UglyD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:59 pm

started this year- glucosamine w/MSG- the younger dog also gets it now- myself- ester-C - might be in my pea brain but I think it has taken off the daily edge of joint pains.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Dasuquin with MSM. It was recommended by an ortho vet at Ohio State for our old guys. She also said fish oil was helpful.
I buy the Dasuquin from Amazon ( lowest price I found, free shipping) and get the bottle for large dogs. After the loading dose, I halve each tab for the regular dose so a bottle goes a long way. Fish oil is from Walmart.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:34 pm

PAWS ( Pure Animal Well Being) Blackmores Osteosupport - EPA ETA,DHA, glycosaminoglycans, chondroitin sulphates

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:42 pm

The surgeon that rebuilt Rush pelvis and hip told me they were never able to see where the supplements did much good and advised they were a waste of your money. I sure have no evidence If they do anything, I did try one for a while but quit and he is 12 years old and has no problems that are detectable which I have trouble believing after what we had to do to repair the whole hip area.