Coywolf?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Coywolf?

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Interesting article, I would prefer additional research.

Anecdotally, the coyotes I see today are larger, stronger, and much better looking, not at all like the scrawny, mange infested critters of my youth.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/a-new-s ... -and-dogs/

CDN_Cocker

Re: Coywolf?

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:10 pm

We've had coywolves in our area for a few years now. Many more coyotes than wolves so interbreeding isn't much of a stretch. I have seen these articles posted on facebook a lot lately as if it is this brand new superspecies that has just emerged this year...

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:54 pm

I have my doubts on this... the wolves in my part of the country consider coyotes as competition to be eliminated.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:18 pm

I would easily believe the coyotes cross with dogs, but wolves??? Not so sure about that one.

Wolves are more known for eating dog's, not screwing them to death. :lol:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Wolves breed to other K-9's quite frequently actually. I don't see any surprise since they are closely related.

That would be like saying that a Mule Deer wont breed with a Whitetail.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:38 pm

I coyote hunt a lot. They interbreed. trust me.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:42 pm

They used to sell them for pets all the time; fact is they still may though I know some states prohibit it. It does surprise me that they are doing it in the wild. Up here we have 30-50 dogs a year eaten by them. I guess that is definitive proof that the urge for sex overcomes the need for food. :roll: :lol:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Neil wrote:Interesting article, I would prefer additional research.

Anecdotally, the coyotes I see today are larger, stronger, and much better looking, not at all like the scrawny, mange infested critters of my youth.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/a-new-s ... -and-dogs/
Aren't the Eastern yotes bigger amd more robist than the Western variety? Where I live, there are no wolves for interbreeding, but coyotes can be pretty big. Locally 40-47 pounds is common. With nice fluffy coats, those things look huge. I came across a small pack (family, maybe?) while walking my dogs in the woods, and it took more than a few seconds for my brain to register that they weren't feral German Shepards.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:52 pm

There is a NOVA doc on this on Netflix, IIRC it’s a Coyote and a Red Wolf cross, and supposedly that is the only possible cross.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:00 pm

aulrich wrote:There is a NOVA doc on this on Netflix, IIRC it’s a Coyote and a Red Wolf cross, and supposedly that is the only possible cross.
Its the most common cross but not the ONLY one.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:56 pm

We have them here in North Carolina also. They did a Red Wolf reintroduction and it has turned into a complete mess.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Yup. They've killed I believe, 21 dogs in Wi. so far this year.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:46 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Yup. They've killed I believe, 21 dogs in Wi. so far this year.
Cars kill way more than that but put any Canis in heat and see if a Wolf wont mate to it.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Those look an awful lot like the 'yotes I saw growing up in eastern North Dakota. They were fat suckers that fed on roadkill and the over abundance of fawns. Reminds me of my "hatred" of coyotes growing up. My grandparents had a border collie named Auggie. He was a good dog but then one day he was gone. We were told he ran off and was killed by coyotes. That was the birth of my hatred. Years later I found out that Auggie was actually run over by my grandma. Funny how that story affected my perspective.

One thing that stuck out in the video for me was when they report said the biologists "set out to prove" yada yada. Be weary of "scientists" that wish to prove something. The basis of the scientific process is to disprove things, and only when it cannot be disproved, can a conclusion be made.

Interesting though.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:07 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Yup. They've killed I believe, 21 dogs in Wi. so far this year.
Cars kill way more than that but put any Canis in heat and see if a Wolf wont mate to it.
Well......but in our state we have around three million cars and 700 wolves. One would expect it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
but put any Canis in heat and see if a Wolf wont mate to it.
I understand that is the most common way, a male wolf will mate with a female coyote or dog, but a a male coyote or dog never gets close enough to a female wolf, he is killed.

cooper hill hunter

Post by cooper hill hunter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Coyotes in the north north/east breed with eastern wolves. For what ever reason wolves do not view them as competition and interbreed with them. There is a biologist who studies this in a park in Ontario. Watched a PBS show where they showed skulls of the wolf, coyote and cross breed. It was interesting.