trip to kansas

RyanGSP82

trip to kansas

Post by RyanGSP82 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:37 pm

I have three GSPs that have only hunted on preserve birds except for a few wild covey that we have. question is: these are preserve dogs with 3 plus yrs experience, what should I expect besides a few busted coveys. and any tips to get them ready for wild birds.

SetterNut

Re: trip to kansas

Post by SetterNut » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:48 pm

They will need to stand off the bird enough they the birds do not flush. Most dog learn pretty quick that they can't crowd birds.

Don't know that there is a lot that you can do, other than maybe put them on some birds in launchers and launch the birds if they crowd them at all.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 am

Dog's are taught on a preserve and honed on the prairie. I think they'll surprise you and do great. Certainly, they will make some mistakes but you're there to enjoy the dog's, not grade them. Conditioning for you and the dog's can be one possible issue. Carry a lot of water.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:49 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Conditioning for you and the dog's can be one possible issue. Carry a lot of water.
+1. Last year when we were in Kansas we averaged 10-11 miles per day. I don't remember what the GPS collars said about the dogs but you can imagine it would be significantly more. I put mine on the treadmill several times per week 3-4 weeks prior to heading out there and free run them/hunt them as much as I can.