Car sick pup

pooch897

Car sick pup

Post by pooch897 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:52 pm

My 6 month old Britt is getting sick in his crate. He threw up on the way to training and on the way back. Any suggestions on what to do? My dad said he will just get used to it eventually.

reba

Re: Car sick pup

Post by reba » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:58 pm

His should ride with an empty stomach and lots of fresh air.

pooch897

Car sick pup

Post by pooch897 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:09 pm

But if hunting in the morning shouldn't he eat before hunting.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:03 pm

pooch897 wrote:But if hunting in the morning shouldn't he eat before hunting.
No, running on a full belly is not good.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:49 pm

He will grow out of it, at least all I know about have. And as said, don't run them for at least 2 hours after eating, and some suggest fasting.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Our very persistently carsick pup was about 1 1/2 yrs old before she finally quit being sick. We tried everything we could think of and fasting worked somewhat, but she still looked miserable and queasy (no vomiting, though). Finally someone said that we should turn her crate sideways in the vehicle instead of facing her to the rear, and place the crate near the centre of the vehicle instead of at the back. It was much better! She now is nearly 2, and is ok. We have never had a pup suffer so long with carsickness as this one. Went through a lot of paper towels and icky mess. Poor pup, we felt so bad for her, and were glad to finally hit on something that worked for her. Good luck, and let us know what eventually works for your pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:27 pm

I assume the cause is the same as for humans. Having been a carsick person for my whole life , I can tell you that what works is being up high where one can see the horizon out FRONT of the vehicle. I would raise the crate. ( For me no car sicknesses when sitting in the front seat or driving - I can focus on the horizon.)

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:48 pm

pooch897 wrote:But if hunting in the morning shouldn't he eat before hunting.
Absolutely not. There can be devastating effects, including death, if running on a full stomach. I feed my dogs 16-24 hours before hunting them or a hard training session. I then feed them 1/2 hour to an hour afterwards.

Dogs don't become hypoglycemic like we do. Most of their energy comes from fats and proteins.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 am

There is a product you can get at any drug store called Bonnine. It is for motion sickness and can be given to a young dog. I am not a vet, so check with your vet. But mine said it was ok. It worked fine on my pup and on me if I am going on a boat or riding in the back of a car. Give it to them 3-45min. before you go. This does not make them sleepy or dry mouthed as does most other products (Dramamine). To my knowledge it does not interfere in anyway with the dogs performance other then keeping them from getting sick. I have used it on all my dogs over the years with no known ill affects.

Most dogs outgrow it, but some do not!

Some say give them some fresh ginger to eat, but that never worked for me or my dog! This stuff works for me when I am on a small boat in the ocean, and that is where I can really lose it.

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Childrens Benadryl works. You simply want to use Benadryl with the only ingredient to be listed as: diphenhydramine. You can get the Benadryl in liquid form, such as children’s Benadryl and use 1mg per pound.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:34 am

when my Brittany was just a pup she would salivate like crazy any time we got in the truck. I assume she was getting carsick, because on one or two occasions she did actually vomit. She has eventually grown out of the drooling, and riding doesn't seem to bother her as much (she probably understands that most of the time we are going to go hunting or for a good walk if we are taking the truck).

what really helped during those early months was giving her a piece of candied ginger before we got in the truck. I bought a bag at the local food coop, and I'd take a small piece and put it in one of those pill pocket treats. the very first time I gave it to her, the drooling stopped completely and she seemed more comfortable.

it is worth a try at least. good luck!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:49 am

My experience has always been the opposite of what was mentioned earlier. Mine are fine when they are in their crates and laying down but get nauseous when they are in the seat and watching things going by real fast. I have seen them get down on the floor where they can't see and that seems to help.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Further to the comment which I posted before; we had a full load of 4 dogs in the vehicle on the weekend, and our young dog (the persistently carsick one) had to ride at the back of the vehicle, facing backwards. She was ok on the smooth highway, but vomited when the road got curvy and bumpy. This was 5 hours after being fed a very small breakfast. I would have thought her stomach would be empty by then.

It really has made a difference for her to have her crate set sideways behind the front seats in the centre of the wheelbase. Guess that is where she'll ride from now on.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:20 pm

It takes 14 to 18 hours for dogs to digest food. Just sayin.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:It takes 14 to 18 hours for dogs to digest food. Just sayin.
That is complete digestion. But it is not in the stomach that long.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:02 pm

That doesn't mean that the dog wasn't queezy during the initial drive. They can still puke hours after eating.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:That doesn't mean that the dog wasn't queezy during the initial drive. They can still puke hours after eating.
Yep sure can

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:52 pm

pooch897 wrote:My 6 month old Britt is getting sick in his crate. He threw up on the way to training and on the way back. Any suggestions on what to do? My dad said he will just get used to it eventually.
Some do ,some don't.
Some never get over it.
Motion is usually the trigger. Perhaps you could have the pup in the crate for longer periods in the car without it ?

atothek

Post by atothek » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:04 pm

My GSP did the same when he was younger and I attributed it to being nervous. I live only a few blocks from the field where I run him and I would drive him there everyday rather than walk him. Either he just naturally outgrew it or he associated the car with fun and it solved the issue within a matter of weeks. Best of luck :)

Pheasanttracker

Car sick pup

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 am

My PP threw up even short rides if we were going hunting. After about a year she has no problems even for a few hours. Definitely no food prior. I did get some calming medicine the vet but didn't find it did anything but make her sleepy.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Ask your vet about Cerenia it was developed for nasuea and motion sickness in dogs. Also Dramamine and Benedryl but they can cause lethargy so it depends on your purpose for the drive