Activity

Neil
GDF Junkie

Activity

Post by Neil » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:15 pm

I am unemployed, so I am as likely to post on a Tuesday at 3 am as on Saturday at 2 pm, but have noticed many are more inclined to visit here during what most consider normal working hours.

I do not think that common in developing countries, and says a lot about the US.

So much for productively of America, I estimate it is at about 50%, if without smart phones.

No blame meant, just an observation.

GSP4ME

Activity

Post by GSP4ME » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:02 am

What it says to me is the 40 hour work week or any other arbitrary set # of hours= full time job is an outdated concept. If we all worked in production/manufacturing jobs then I could understand working X number of hours to produce X number of widgets. But since most of us work in jobs that don't require our undivided attention throughout the work day, it makes sense to me that we'd find other ways to fill our down time between tasks.

SCT

Re: Activity

Post by SCT » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 am

Self employed! But spend way too much time on the internet.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 am

Neil,

I am glad you are north of me and not wasting my oxygen.

db

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 am

How did you come up with 50%?

Mike

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:48 am

GSP4ME wrote:What it says to me is the 40 hour work week or any other arbitrary set # of hours= full time job is an outdated concept. If we all worked in production/manufacturing jobs then I could understand working X number of hours to produce X number of widgets. But since most of us work in jobs that don't require our undivided attention throughout the work day, it makes sense to me that we'd find other6 ways to fill our down time between tasks.
I haven't worked a traditional 40 hour week since summers in high school.

I own and operate a couple of small businesses. I'm 24/7/365 and have been that way for the last 3 decades.

The smart phone is a godsend because it allows me to multitask effectively. I can't remember the last drive of any significant length (ie. over an hour) that I didn't speech to text to answer emails. My buddies hate it because I'm always working before or after we hunt/fish.

The only thing that gets my undivided attention are my kids.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:17 am

I work three twelve hour night shifts that always end up being more than twelve hours. somebody has to stay awake and make sure everyone's still breathing at 2 am. but I am a wee bit too busy to be reading and posting on gundogforum then.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:05 am

Work hours and production while at work are still the highest in the US vs other developed nations. The average work week for non-hourly employees is above 50 hours a week in the us. This is linked to smartphones and Internet availability. The same device that distracts us is our tethere to work.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:02 pm

Self-employed since 1980...using computers to access upland message boards for a much shorter period....finds my observation on the productively of America :) having been sufficient to enable companies such as Gun Dog Supply to come to life and, in many cases, to prosper.
I don't see that trend toward filling niches about to end in America....tho niches always are juking and jiving like a well-rested woodcock.

I have observed that late night message board postings appear, at times, to have a connection with spirit consumption while other postings can be related to frustrations with Life and Life paths, age, imagined self-importance as to held opinions and large doses of both general crankiness and assholeitry.

It is always good to observe....apart from a faint path thru a cactus patch.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:42 pm

Being self employed, trying to start a new small business while struggling with insomnia is why you will see me posting at any hour. I have gone up to 7 days without any sleep so I have to do something to keep me busy.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 am

Who still works 9 to 5? Just kidding, I know some do, but I sure don't. In fact, my hours vary day to day and week to week. My boss doesn't care as long as I get my work done and I'm productive. Also, I don't smoke so I don't take smoke breaks when I'm working, I take GDF breaks.

I've tailored my scheduled hours so 3 mornings a week I can hunt before work. If I worked 9 to 5, I would only be able to hunt weekends (which can be busy on public land), especially now when the sun sets at or before 5.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 am

I and others are retired...your data is flawed! I do not believe retired folks are statistically speaking on this website 'outliers' ... :mrgreen:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 am

Timewise65 wrote:I and others are retired...your data is flawed! I do not believe retired folks are statistically speaking on this website 'outliers' ... :mrgreen:
There is no data, and I tried to be nonjudgemental, it is none of my business. I was just observing there seems to be a lot more activity here during the week. And when I visit an office, folks are spending a lot of time looking at their phones, including when in meetings.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:17 am

Neil wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:I and others are retired...your data is flawed! I do not believe retired folks are statistically speaking on this website 'outliers' ... :mrgreen:
There is no data, and I tried to be nonjudgemental, it is none of my business. I was just observing there seems to be a lot more activity here during the week. And when I visit an office, folks are spending a lot of time looking at their phones, including when in meetings.
You will probably also notice that most of us 'retired' folks do not use our phones to post! Even if we do have 'phones'.... :mrgreen:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:27 am

I got quite the look of both pity and patience from a young kid when I asked at Best Buy for a new battery for my flip phone....luckily, the battery has not yet totally cratered.
I reckon there is a source out there....probably should look as the phone still works a treat.