Flusher or pointer

Smilin Spaniels

Flusher or pointer

Post by Smilin Spaniels » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey everyone,
This isn't meant to be a post to bash one another. Just a friendly conversation and to see different point of views. I am a flusher guy myself, for specifically, a FBECS and ESS guy. Never actually hunted behind a pointer. I'm just curious what everyone prefers, but more so, why? I know a lot is just opinion/preference.But, do you prefer a flusher or pointer, and why? Again, I just like seeing different peoples preferences and reasoning.

ruffbritt4

Re: Flusher or pointer

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Pointer, I have 2 brittanys. Nothing is more exciting for me than when their bell goes silent in the woods. Then when you see them frozen on point, it just makes the whole hunt.

live4point

Post by live4point » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:07 pm

The only reason I hunt birds is to get to watch a good dog point.

tarpon303

Post by tarpon303 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 am

I don't have a ton of experience, but I have hunted behind both. To be honest I have to say pointer. It's exciting and refreshing to watch the dog work in the distance. All the flushing dogs (by nature and necessity I suppose) I have hunted with have been right underneath you. Just my two cents, but I think it's all a lot of fun either way. Just like I don't care if you fish with a fly rod or a spinning rod...its all fishing. :) Interesting post. Thanks.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:07 am

I breed GSPs and just returned from the best hunting trip I ever had in South Dakota, but it is hard to beat a good ESS for pheasant hunting. It does get tougher to keep up with them as my legs get older........Cj

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:17 am

I would say pointer. I like the way they cover ground and hold the birds.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 am

If you want to find WILD western birds such as chukar, huns, sharptail then a big running ponting dog such as a GSP or English Setter............................

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:57 am

I hunt a lot of corn country and deep swamps. A good pointer might just starve on point in a corn field. Had a pointer once, and we spent time hunting the dog in the corn. But he was pretty. Had a run of 4 good ESS going now, and they are just plain fun to watch.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

I enjoy watching a flusher work, watching his body language when he hits scent old or new, the momentum gained when he's hot, the clues each individual dog gives right before the flush. None of that can be seen at 75 yards+........... then there's the retrieve which can be equally awesome...........

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:39 pm

I have kept both since the 70's, and both have their place.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:51 pm

I've hunted over both, they both get the job done, but for me there's no substitute for the point. The intensity of a good point can be addicting. I particularly enjoy watching a hard-running dog skid into a point on a sharptail three or four hundred yards out. Regarding retrieve, my pointing breeds really haven't given up anything to the flushing breeds I've hunted with.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:03 pm

I think it depends on what type of dog you enjoy watching and WHAT type of birds you hunt. If I were hunting birds in big country like sharptail, huns, chuckar or quail, I'd want a pointer. Grouse is a 50-50 proposition. Pheasant is without a qestion retriever.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Smilin Spaniels wrote:Hey everyone,
This isn't meant to be a post to bash one another. Just a friendly conversation and to see different point of views. I am a flusher guy myself, for specifically, a FBECS and ESS guy. Never actually hunted behind a pointer. I'm just curious what everyone prefers, but more so, why? I know a lot is just opinion/preference.But, do you prefer a flusher or pointer, and why? Again, I just like seeing different peoples preferences and reasoning.
Having them do both with a stop is awesome :wink: ..add in a Hawk and we are on excel.

Jordan Cramer

Post by Jordan Cramer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 pm

There's nothing like watching a dog lock up on a bird and hold that point for you. Especially their first time. I hunt for the point. I don't care if I shoot any birds with the exception of a good retrieve. But that's just me.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:56 am

I think this is like being a fan of football or baseball. I like both, and I don't think they are mutually exclusive. When one knows the little nuances, the games within the game, it makes watching both sports fun. Same goes with flushers and pointers. The more I learn about each "game," the more I enjoy both.

But, if I was given a handful of shells, and told I needed to bring back birds or else my family would go hungry, I would whistle up my spaniel, regardless of the type of bird.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 am

I've got 3 spaniels and a Brittany. If the cover was thick and nasty I'd prefer to hunt the spaniels , if the ground was reasonably "open" I'd prefer to hunt the Brittany. Taken overall and on a mixture of ground and cover types I am pretty sure I'd find more game with the Brittany for the simple reason she covers much more ground than a spaniel could.

Bill T.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:07 am

I don’t have a lot of experience flushers but the little I do have is that with a bigger party of hunters 4 or more where you have to move more formally point a to point b flushers are a better fit.

But mostly is just me and the dog in the wide open west so I run a pointing dog.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Can't beat either. Love hunting behind a both. Hunted behind more pointers than flushers, so I probably prefer pointers. But it is hard to beat a good flusher. I love watching both types of dogs work a field.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:13 pm

I have hunted behind 1 good trained flusher and 1 mixed dog that is my brothers that just uses his nose and goes and flushes them. Even though the mix wasn't trained it was still cool to watch both of them work, Its great seeing them get birdy imo. But i also hunted behind a great Ep female and English Setter male, and they were awesome to watch work. They worked i the middle of everybody and the owner knew that he didn't need to say anything and they'd still do it. And ultimately I like watching Pointers/setters work more, but that is all in what people prefer. I ended up getting a setter because i like they're style and wanted a grouse dog(even though any breed can do it, just felt that a pup from grouse parents would be a little easier)
\-Northwoodshunter

Devilscreekw

Post by Devilscreekw » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:40 am

151109_001.jpg
Walking to the mailbox yesterday. 8 month old pup. Ruffed grouse in the fenceline. Pretty much says it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:55 am

They each have their place. Thick cover quail hunting along creek beds, I would prefer a Spaniel. In open cover with lots of places for a bird to hide, I want to watch a pointing dog rock and roll, so I don't have to.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I generally hunt big open country for chukar and Huns so a pointing dog best suits my purposes. I can literally handle my dog to a hillside and have her cover the whole thing while I watch (and not have to cover the whole thing myself). It's great seeing them run and it about takes your breath away when they slam a point. So much fun! That said, I got to go pheasant hunting behind a cocker and that little guy was awesome and what a personality! Just a pleasure to be around and such a hard worker. I was impressed.

Jordan Cramer

Post by Jordan Cramer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:53 pm

Devilscreekw wrote:
151109_001.jpg
Walking to the mailbox yesterday. 8 month old pup. Ruffed grouse in the fenceline. Pretty much says it all.
That's a good looking dog and a good looking point!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Where I hunt the bush is thick and nasty so I prefer a flusher - I too have a cocker. But I can appreciate most any type of working/hunting dog.... I just got in from spending a week with the beagles chasing deer. As much as I love bird dogs, nothing quite makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up like hearing the hounds open up on a deer.

Marsh2

Post by Marsh2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:36 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Where I hunt the bush is thick and nasty so I prefer a flusher - I too have a cocker. But I can appreciate most any type of working/hunting dog.... I just got in from spending a week with the beagles chasing deer. As much as I love bird dogs, nothing quite makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up like hearing the hounds open up on a deer.
Amen!!! Good dog work is good dog work!!!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Marsh2 wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:Where I hunt the bush is thick and nasty so I prefer a flusher - I too have a cocker. But I can appreciate most any type of working/hunting dog.... I just got in from spending a week with the beagles chasing deer. As much as I love bird dogs, nothing quite makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up like hearing the hounds open up on a deer.
Amen!!! Good dog work is good dog work!!!
You got that right! My Redbones and Blue Ticks were sure fun to run. It was also fun watching my service German Shepherds hunting Haji in Iraq.

For birds I like to see a pointer lock up and stay there.