Straw Bedding Alternative????

ohsq

Straw Bedding Alternative????

Post by ohsq » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:10 am

Any suggestions for dog house bedding?? I have a young Brittany that will eat straw. He wont eat his blankets but does drag them out on a daily basis(the wife is getting sick of washing dog blankets) Thought about buying a bed for in his house but am worried he will eventually destroy that. Anybody ever deal with this? If so, what worked for you??

art hubbard

Re: Straw Bedding Alternative????

Post by art hubbard » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:19 am

Timothy hay is the best bedding, doesn't break down like straw that turns into dust.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:57 am

My Brittany did the same thing with blankets. He's an indoor dog but crate trained and now 2 yrs old. We use PrimoPads. No more issues. I have a separate crate for the Tahoe and have one for it also. Easy to clean. He likes them. He'll chose this over other things to lay in in the house. We leave the crate door open during the day.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Best hay type bedding I have found is reed canary grass. It grows well where it is wet so some farmers will plant it as a hay crop on marginal land. If you can find praire type hay, that is even better. I don't care for Timothy myself. I would rather use a soft, grass type hay.

I am trying something different this year and it seems to be working pretty well so far. I have put pine shavings animal bedding and a good handful of cedar shavings(both available form WalMart).

It is way too early to tell if the shavings will hold up but boy the dogs do smell nice. The dogs seem to like making nests out of the stuff, and so far, it has stayed dry and fluffy...so we'll see when it gets colder.

RayyG

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:38 pm

I like prairie hay(not alfalfa hay). It is fairly common in the Midwest & doesn't powder up into dust like straw does. If it gets damp, just throw it out and put in dry :D

CWT

Post by CWT » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 am

Good fresh, clean long leaf pine straw