What to do for training?

northwoodshunter

What to do for training?

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:58 pm

in spring im getting my english setter trained by a pro for 1-2 months. he is 7 mo right now. RIght now i don't have a lot of time to be able to get him in the woods looking for grouse, or even going to my brothers and looking for planted pheasants, because it's getting pretty busy around here and don't have a lot of time before dark anymore. So right now should i just focus on house training for chewing, and such, and then also my obedience training and just let the trainer do what he does, and get him on birds and make his field obedience great and everything else brushed up and enhanced? right now im more importantly wanting my pup to come back from a trainer(im currently deciding between 2) With great field obedience as i feel that it is the most important thing, because up here i have wolves and bears on trail cameras where next season and maybe late season grouse hunting i like to go, so i need him to listen to me. and then i want steadiness on point, and bird exposure, and hunting training as much as possible.
What should i try to focus on right now?
Thanks-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: What to do for training?

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 pm

"...........................RIght now i don't have a lot of time to be able to get him in the woods looking for grouse, or even going to my brothers and looking for planted pheasants, because it's getting pretty busy around here and don't have a lot of time before dark anymore. ....................................................What should I try to focus on right now?..quote NWH

Pup needs good exercise now almost every day. House obedience is much easier when pup isn't wound up wanting to run. Insufficient exercise = all kinds of house problems. That can't be put off until pup goes to the trainer. You may have to get up earlier in the morning to get it done. Every gundog owner has had to find a way to make that happen. Even when your dog comes back from the trainer , he'll need a frequent hard work out. He'll be at his prime as an athlete; having a gundog means making the time for the dog to have good exercise - a walk around the block won't do it.

Work on having confidence that pup will come when you call him. Developing independence in the fields/woods is essential now, for pup. I think I'm reading that you're not wanting to take him out, if you can't be assured of him returning safely. I understand that. Maybe post a question asking , " How do I get my dog to come in the fields when called. " That would definitely give you something important to work on now.

As I said before " get him on birds and make his field obedience great and everything else brushed up and enhanced" is not going to happen in 1-2 months.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:40 am

I am a little hesitant to take him out a lot, but what i usually do is i keep him on his check cord and if im in the woods i hold it until its to think and then i just catch up and hold it going around trees and such, when in the field i let him drag it. One of the trainers i might go with, trained my cousins dog and he only had him for a month, and the dog was not started at all at a year old, and he retrieves, quarters automatically in the field, and listens really good, he also was e collar conditioned. So i might do that person.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:22 am

Sharon wrote:"...........................RIght now i don't have a lot of time to be able to get him in the woods looking for grouse, or even going to my brothers and looking for planted pheasants, because it's getting pretty busy around here and don't have a lot of time before dark anymore. ....................................................What should I try to focus on right now?..quote NWH

Pup needs good exercise now almost every day. House obedience is much easier when pup isn't wound up wanting to run. Insufficient exercise = all kinds of house problems. That can't be put off until pup goes to the trainer. You may have to get up earlier in the morning to get it done. Every gundog owner has had to find a way to make that happen. Even when your dog comes back from the trainer , he'll need a frequent hard work out. He'll be at his prime as an athlete; having a gundog means making the time for the dog to have good exercise - a walk around the block won't do it.

Work on having confidence that pup will come when you call him. Developing independence in the fields/woods is essential now, for pup. I think I'm reading that you're not wanting to take him out, if you can't be assured of him returning safely. I understand that. Maybe post a question asking , " How do I get my dog to come in the fields when called. " That would definitely give you something important to work on now.

As I said before " get him on birds and make his field obedience great and everything else brushed up and enhanced" is not going to happen in 1-2 months.
Sharon---Good Post :D

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 pm

If I were you, I would get the perfect start and run my puppy through all the steps there. That would put the dog in great position to move forward at the trainers. If you can build a good foundation on the pup now the trainer will be able to build on that and not have to start at the bottom.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:50 pm

northwoodshunter wrote:in spring im getting my english setter trained by a pro for 1-2 months. he is 7 mo right now. RIght now i don't have a lot of time to be able to get him in the woods looking for grouse, or even going to my brothers and looking for planted pheasants, because it's getting pretty busy around here and don't have a lot of time before dark anymore. So right now should i just focus on house training for chewing, and such, and then also my obedience training and just let the trainer do what he does, and get him on birds and make his field obedience great and everything else brushed up and enhanced? right now im more importantly wanting my pup to come back from a trainer(im currently deciding between 2) With great field obedience as i feel that it is the most important thing, because up here i have wolves and bears on trail cameras where next season and maybe late season grouse hunting i like to go, so i need him to listen to me. and then i want steadiness on point, and bird exposure, and hunting training as much as possible.
What should i try to focus on right now?
Thanks-
Spring sounds too late ?

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:23 pm

what do you mean spring sounds too late?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:54 am

Northwoods -

It is really simple. Ifyou do not have the time to take the dog out and hunt or run it in the fields and woods. DON'T.

If you are unsure of the recall of your youngster in a field situation and are afraid of running it . DON'T.

Get yourself a command lead or prong or pinch collar or a heeling stick and learn how to use the tool. Do yardwork every morning and every evening. I do heel/whoa drills every day with a pup. Ten minutes or less...every morning and every evening. I let the pup out of their kennel to run around and do its business. I clean up the kennel, give water if necessary and during that time, call the pup to me a time or two. After the kennel chores are done. I do heel/whoa drills for about five minutes and if the dog is not good about coming when called, I do some recalls with a long checkcord attached.

Repeat the above in the evening prior to feeding.

Ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening. Local regulations in most towns require that the kennels must be cleaned once in every twenty four hour period. Dogs should be fed daily. The necessary obedience training can be accomplished at the same time that the kennel chores are done and you can take the dog for a run on the weekends.

RayG