To many birds for the pup

oldbeek

To many birds for the pup

Post by oldbeek » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Today we got into a huge covey of quail. Pup pointed a bird and 5 flushed. I shot one and she was standing waiting for fetch command. She shot straight to the downed bird and started back then dropped the bird. I was about to get critical but she was on point. 4 birds flushed wild from that bush. She watched. I went closer to her and had her finish her retrieve. On her next point about 6 came up and I shot one. She went after the wrong bird. I brought her back and directed her to the downed bird. I stopped shooting and just turned the outing into a training session. Point hold and watch as I flush them. A wonderful day with near perfect weather.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: To many birds for the pup

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Sounds like a perfect day!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 pm

sounds like a lot going on.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:11 pm

oldbeek wrote:Today we got into a huge covey of quail. Pup pointed a bird and 5 flushed. I shot one and she was standing waiting for fetch command. She shot straight to the downed bird and started back then dropped the bird. I was about to get critical but she was on point. 4 birds flushed wild from that bush. She watched. I went closer to her and had her finish her retrieve. On her next point about 6 came up and I shot one. She went after the wrong bird. I brought her back and directed her to the downed bird. I stopped shooting and just turned the outing into a training session. Point hold and watch as I flush them. A wonderful day with near perfect weather.
The weather was amazing today. This afternoon, I tossed the 1 yr kid on my back and got the pup on some Mt quail in the Angeles.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 pm

oldbeek wrote:Today we got into a huge covey of quail. Pup pointed a bird and 5 flushed. I shot one and she was standing waiting for fetch command. She shot straight to the downed bird and started back then dropped the bird. I was about to get critical but she was on point. 4 birds flushed wild from that bush. She watched. I went closer to her and had her finish her retrieve. On her next point about 6 came up and I shot one. She went after the wrong bird. I brought her back and directed her to the downed bird. I stopped shooting and just turned the outing into a training session. Point hold and watch as I flush them. A wonderful day with near perfect weather.

Fun,fun, fun!