7 month old Vizsla becoming whiny

Waterfowler21

7 month old Vizsla becoming whiny

Post by Waterfowler21 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi All,
Recently my female V has seemed a lot more anxious around the apartment. She gets a bit anxious towards dark and tends to bark at nothing when she goes near the door/windows. She also turns "whiny" at home if she isn't playing with a toy or chewing the treats we give her. We got her a bit early when she was a pup (7 weeks) but she has been well socialized. She doesn't have fear towards people or other dogs and is generally a sweetheart. I don't believe it is an exercise issue because she goes on a walk at least twice a day and a few times a week is either out looking for birds with me or taken to the dog park. From reading online I sense she might just be in her "teenager stage" and it seems to be pretty close to what is actually going on. Just curious if anyone else has had these issues and if this is just a stage or if it is something to be corrected. If you need other info please let me know. Thanks again for being such an awesome resource!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: 7 month old Vizsla becoming whiny

Post by shags » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Tell her to knock it off and go lay down. Then make her stay in whatever spot you choose, like her crate or next to your chair or wherever. Don't let her get up until you release her. If she starts in again, back to go lay down.
Whatever you do, do not comfort her or show any comcern. Don't peer out the door or windows to see what she's whining about. When you say 'it's OK' or anything like that, the dog thinks you mean the whining and worrying is OK. She needs you to show, for lack of a better word, leadership. That you are in charge and if there is anything to be anxious about, you will take care of it.
What you encourage, you will live with forever or have heck to pay trying to fix it later.
Nip annoying behavior in the bud. Don't fall for the poor scared doggie thing. She needs to get over it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 pm

You likely did get her too soon, V's are slow to mature and getting one at 9-10 weeks is closer to ideal. My breeder wouldn't let them go home until 10 weeks of age because they tend to become too clingy and less independent when left sooner. However, a whiny Vizsla is certainly normal. Mine is quite a whiner. They can be neurotic as well, so try not to over-manage the behavior and make it worse. Correct the whining immediately and be consistent. Don't allow it. Tire her out as much as you can and make absolutely sure she gets crate time where she has to stay quiet. V's don't like to be away from their people and behaviors can very easily morph into separation anxiety unless you can train her to be happy alone (or at least tolerate being crated and alone while you're doing something else in the house).

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks Shags. Yes I actually just spoke with my fiancé about this last weekend that we cannot show reaction when she whines we simply ignore it for a minute or two and get up and walk away. Usually she quits and follows us which in turn we try and redirect her attention to something else.

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:33 pm

RoostersMom wrote:You likely did get her too soon, V's are slow to mature and getting one at 9-10 weeks is closer to ideal. My breeder wouldn't let them go home until 10 weeks of age because they tend to become too clingy and less independent when left sooner. However, a whiny Vizsla is certainly normal. Mine is quite a whiner. They can be neurotic as well, so try not to over-manage the behavior and make it worse. Correct the whining immediately and be consistent. Don't allow it. Tire her out as much as you can and make absolutely sure she gets crate time where she has to stay quiet. V's don't like to be away from their people and behaviors can very easily morph into separation anxiety unless you can train her to be happy alone (or at least tolerate being crated and alone while you're doing something else in the house).
For the most part she never minds being crated except for her long days when my fiancé and I both work the normal day. I get off at 3:30 every day at my job but she works nights 3 days a week. This has possibly caused some separation anxiety since 4 days a week she is only left alone for a 3-4 hours during the daytime. We usually let her sleep out of her crate until we go to bed.

By "correct the whining" do you mean scold her or just ignore it/walk away?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Ignore first, if it continues, you will have to scold her. It may not stop. It's hard to admit, but my V won't whine at all at my trainer's place (even in the house), but when I get him home, I don't follow up on it enough so that he does still whine here. If I'd stopped it early on, I think that would have been better!

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:42 pm

i think you are grossly underestimating the amount go mental and physical exercise a 7 month old Vizsla requires. Getting wound up around dark is the classic symptom that the needs are not being met. If you can engage the dog in training/mental and physical exertion around dark it will help throw the "off switch." But you're seeing the clear signs the V needs more time out running, playing, and training.

Bill

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Spy Car wrote:i think you are grossly underestimating the amount go mental and physical exercise a 7 month old Vizsla requires. Getting wound up around dark is the classic symptom that the needs are not being met. If you can engage the dog in training/mental and physical exertion around dark it will help throw the "off switch." But you're seeing the clear signs the V needs more time out running, playing, and training.

Bill
Thanks for the response Bill. Maybe I am underestimating, she never ceases to amaze me how she can go go go for such long periods. I am afraid I am unsure of how to get her more exercise other than maybe more mental stimulation at home. 2 people working 40+ hours a week and the fiancé working weekends make it difficult to physically exercise more than a walk in the morning, hunting/dog park after work and a walk before bedtime. And living here in ND I am afraid this situation will get worse when snow hits the ground in a month. Any mental exercise tips besides hide and seek or working on commands?

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Waterfowler21 wrote:
Spy Car wrote:i think you are grossly underestimating the amount go mental and physical exercise a 7 month old Vizsla requires. Getting wound up around dark is the classic symptom that the needs are not being met. If you can engage the dog in training/mental and physical exertion around dark it will help throw the "off switch." But you're seeing the clear signs the V needs more time out running, playing, and training.

Bill
Thanks for the response Bill. Maybe I am underestimating, she never ceases to amaze me how she can go go go for such long periods. I am afraid I am unsure of how to get her more exercise other than maybe more mental stimulation at home. 2 people working 40+ hours a week and the fiancé working weekends make it difficult to physically exercise more than a walk in the morning, hunting/dog park after work and a walk before bedtime. And living here in ND I am afraid this situation will get worse when snow hits the ground in a month. Any mental exercise tips besides hide and seek or working on commands?
The "witching hour" is a great time to run through all your commands and training behaviors, especially if you can make it fun. Being close in means you can monitor for precision with things like recall or whoa, sit-stays, etc. I don't know where you are with "fetch" but anything form informal object tosses to more formal versions can be practiced in a small space. Nothing winds my dog down more than a good game of tug—I don't want to reignite the arguments over this activity—and so long as one teaches the dog to stop and "give" and "take," such play reinforces long range training goals. Tug can be a great wind down.

What ever your looking to teach, this is a good hour. Try it, and see it she doesn't doze off soon after. I feel your pain on the exercise needs, but.....

Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Instead of just a walk, can you run her off a bike? How about off rollerblades? If you can only walk her, try using a roading harness and allowing her to pull. I hope Ray G. will chime in about that, he uses a harness for his dogs and some kind of back support belt for himself so the dogs can pull. Running or pulling uses a ton more energy than walking on a lead.

Winter and snow is the best for wearing out a dog! Can you free run her somewhere for about 30 minutes? You can also try skijoring.

It's hard to fit it all in when you have a life, but you ought to be able to find a way that suits your schedule.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:47 pm

shags wrote:Instead of just a walk, can you run her off a bike? How about off rollerblades? If you can only walk her, try using a roading harness and allowing her to pull. I hope Ray G. will chime in about that, he uses a harness for his dogs and some kind of back support belt for himself so the dogs can pull. Running or pulling uses a ton more energy than walking on a lead.

Winter and snow is the best for wearing out a dog! Can you free run her somewhere for about 30 minutes? You can also try skijoring.

It's hard to fit it all in when you have a life, but you ought to be able to find a way that suits your schedule.
A "Springer" attachment for the bike makes a great pairing with a roading harness.

Bill

ETA: i like a dog to reach maturity before roading. YMMV.

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 am

Highly recommend cross country skis and a roading harness to get her a good winter workout. I train my setters to pull me on skis, they love it and it wears them out. Plastic edges are a lot safer around dogs paws than metal. The dogs learn to stay away from the skis quickly after your first wreck. :D Be sure to teach your dog control by voice while skiing just like roading from a bike for your own safety and hers. It will also keep her mind in the game as she will still have to listen to you even while running hard.
I also have anxious dogs occasionally around sundown towards the end of the workweek. I feel your pain. Sometimes the evening walk is more effective off leash. ( If you're comfortable with that). The discipline and attention required of "heel" while walking a young dog around town with all those outside distractions can work well in just wearing her out mentally. Good luck and have fun with her in the snow :)