Very Frustrated

covrec1

Very Frustrated

Post by covrec1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:26 am

I have a 2 year old lab and when we train and pass the hunt tests, which he has passed Master Hunter, he is always steady until I say his name to retrieve. This is his first year hunting in a field for waterfowl and he kennels in his dog blind great and watches ducks and geese come in. Once the birds are in range to shoot we yell take em and 2 out of 3 times he breaks before releasing him to go. It is frustrating and I have ecollared him but need some advice what to do. He retrieves like a machine as he even brings the bird to me and also sometimes right into his blind. Please some advice on how to stop the breaking as only his 4th time in the field.

mnaj_springer

Re: Very Frustrated

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 am

Sounds like you're out with a group of guys? Put down your gun, let your buddies shoot, and reinforce steadiness.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 am

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You may be steady at the blind to pass a test but having multiple gunners jump up out of the blind and start blazing is a whole different ball game. :wink:

covrec1

Post by covrec1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:37 am

I worked him by myself from his blind with dummy's and he broke twice out if 20 times. I low ecollared him when he broke and he started to figure it out. I'm sure it's a lot of excitement going on and hunt test aren't that intense.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Who handled the dog in the hunting tests?

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:00 pm

The dog does not really know his name to retrieve, he has learned that the first word that comes out of your mouth after something falls means Fetch. It was his name and now its Take em. The dog does not really know the meaning of the command. You will have to teach the dog what the command means and learn true word differentiation. Right now all he knows is the sequence of events.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:32 pm

tobytx wrote:The dog does not really know his name to retrieve, he has learned that the first word that comes out of your mouth after something falls means Fetch. It was his name and now its Take em. The dog does not really know the meaning of the command. You will have to teach the dog what the command means and learn true word differentiation. Right now all he knows is the sequence of events.
Right on!

covrec1

Post by covrec1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:43 pm

I went one time by myself and never even said take em so that theory can't be right.

Matt

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 pm

When we train steadiness we will say something like Bob , Bill, JJ , 3,4,5 different whatever before the dogs name is said to send. Any movement at all on any thing said beside his name the dog is corrected. You send at a test by name and in the blind TAKE HIM. Your the problem. Be consistent with your command.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Neil wrote:Who handled the dog in the hunting tests?
Please?

covrec1

Post by covrec1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 pm

A professional.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Covrec1

It sounds like you've taken some steps to re-steady him. I think it would serve you well to do as Ms. Cage said (I do the same). They may get a little sticky at first but once they figure out what the command actually is, that stickiness ends.

I still think you should take some time to just handle him while group hunting. And when hunting alone, bring a steakout chain until he's realiable. Hunting is much different than training or tests (excitement level-wise). Waiting to be sent until you're ready won't hurt him.

I just thought of another thing... When training, do NOT let him retrieve every dummy. Either make him honor another dog or go pick up the dummy yourself.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:27 pm

covrec1 wrote:A professional.
Talk with him. He knows the dog, and will know what to do. Putting a MH on a dog does not just happen. The dog has proven he has what it takes, you just need to know the key.

Good luck, not many get to hunt with such a proven dog.