Heating a 6 hole trailer

drich2244

Heating a 6 hole trailer

Post by drich2244 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Hey guys I recently bought a 6 hole trailer that I will be using all winter. I'm looking for heating options that I can use while the trailer is unhooked from my truck ideally I'd like to find a unit that would be mounted in the trailer so I can keep it warm while I'm out hunting with a couple dogs. I was told that when all the dogs are in there it stays warm but there are days when I only have a few in there and would like to keep it somewhat climate controlled. I'd like to hook it up so I could have a rechargeable battery that could run the heater at least overnight. Then also be able to plug it in when that's available aswell any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Heating a 6 hole trailer

Post by cjhills » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:21 am

It seems doubtful to me that you could get enough battery power to run a heater big enough to heat the trailer over night. Plus you probably would need a blower of some sort. Maybe some kind of a LP heater. But would it be worth the risk. or you might have to go with a generator.
I pulled my trailer with a Expedition or Suburban. If I was hauling four or less I kept them inside.
This could be interesting........................Cj

Luminary Setters

Heating a 6 hole trailer

Post by Luminary Setters » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:39 am

Dogs deal with the cold much better than heat. As long as they have dry bedding in the trailer, they will be fine. If it's cold enough for you to need to worry, it's doubtful you will be out anyway.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 am

Luminary Setters wrote:Dogs deal with the cold much better than heat. As long as they have dry bedding in the trailer, they will be fine. If it's cold enough for you to need to worry, it's doubtful you will be out anyway.
If you hunt and travel the north country in late November or December you can get caught in extreme cold. Maybe -20 0r -30. We cover the trailer at night and sometimes double up the dogs. Some way to heat it on the road would be great.......Cj

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:00 pm

I've looked a the kennel heaters for dog houses on gun dog supply I'm wondering if I could run two of them and maintain close to 65 degrees maybe more or less. I'd love for the dogs to be able to get out of the cold after a hunt and warm up. Or when I stop at a hotel I could plug in the trailer and know if it were -30 out they were comfortable

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 pm

There are a number of RV type LP heaters that with ducting would run off the truck battery. Otherwise you are going to need a generator. If you go with a generator, get a Honda or Yamaha 2000, they are worth the extra money.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:24 am

I'd say your best bet would be an electric heater of some kind in one of the empty holes and a nice little Honda Generator. And I'm not sure how "little" of a generator you can use that will still run a heater. But spend the extra for the quiet Honda. Plus they last forever.

Finelinegundogs

Post by Finelinegundogs » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:09 am

I did a LOT of temperature testing before and after I began building my dog boxes and I came up with a lot of interesting data. My question is, is this insulated? What material, aluminum? If it is insulated, do you know how much in floor, walls and ceiling? It definitely matters and makes a huge difference. I have kept dogs in the boxes I built down to -10, with a tank full of water with only straw in the box and the next morning had water coming out the spigot at 55 degrees and warm and toasty dogs inside, doubled up in kennels. I would caution certain types of heaters as you can definitely get it too warm inside, especially without a thermostat to control the heat. With a dogs body temperature at 101-102 degrees they will produce a lot of heat in such a small space and if you can keep the cold air from coming in the box you will be quite surprised how warm they will stay, even in extreme cold temps.

Shane