Puppy uses dog house for outhouse

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:17 pm

My 17 week old DD has been using his dog house as an outhouse now for several weeks. It took me a while to figure it out (couldn't understand where the poop in his coat was coming from). He stays in a 10x10 kennel during the day with a "log cabin" looking dog house that was built by my brother. It's large, big enough to comfortably sleep 2 adult dogs. The 10x10 kennels in on an elevated treated lumber deck to keep everything off the ground. He will not use the bathroom on that deck, instead he goes into the house (which had hay in it) and pees/poops. Ive cleaned it out, mopped it with bleach/water, still goes back in and uses the bathroom in it. House breaking is going very well, crated at night, easily holds it for 8-9 hours overnight....had maybe 3-4 inside accidents since I got him at 9 weeks. I'm thinking about trashing the dog house and getting a K9 Kondo Dog Den like I have for my other dog....maybe he he has established his current dog house as his pooping grounds? Maybe it was just way too big and the only available "grass" (the hay for bedding)? Not sure, just looking for ideas before I cough up 300 dollars. Never run into this problem. Thanks.

Matt

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy uses dog house for outhouse

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:46 am

Way too big, it will not retain his body heat.

I am surprised he wallows in it, usually not the case.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:11 am

Neil wrote:Way too big, it will not retain his body heat.

I am surprised he wallows in it, usually not the case.

I don't disagree that a smaller one would retain heat better but the temps are mild and he's got a dense coat. I think being cold this winter is the least of his concern.

He's not wallowing in it, just think it's an accident, he gets a very small amount on him. For the most part he stays away from it. It's going to get trashed (it was free and lasted a few years so I can't complain). Dog Den 2 on the way. That will be more similar in size to a crate and he's never #2'ed in his crate. Hopefully will do the trick.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I hang my barrels on the sides of my kennels so they have to jump up in the barrel. Start lower for pups and move up as they grow. allows you to clean underneath it. never had one go in their barrel. Even at 5 weeks old they would get out of the barrels to go.

Can always throw some hay in the corner if he likes to go on that and let him go on it a few times and he will prob figure out he likes that better than in his house anyway.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:49 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:I hang my barrels on the sides of my kennels so they have to jump up in the barrel. Start lower for pups and move up as they grow. allows you to clean underneath it. never had one go in their barrel. Even at 5 weeks old they would get out of the barrels to go.

Can always throw some hay in the corner if he likes to go on that and let him go on it a few times and he will prob figure out he likes that better than in his house anyway.
I had the same thought. I tried the hay outside the house after cleaning the house and being away for a few days, thought it might be the trick. He just pooped in the hay-less house and left the hay alone on the decking :roll:

I think he just initially was looking for grass and the (over-sized) house was the only place he could find it. I think he equated the kennel lumber floor to the "inside" and didn't want to go there. It was just strange to me since he has been incredibly easy to crate train / house train. I don't think he would have don that in a smaller house, we'll see soon enough.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:51 pm

LOL Don't dogs just drive you crazy sometimes? :) Good luck.

(No suggestions here as I never heard of such a thing. I'd try MCHD's idea.)

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:21 am

I was thinking the same. He thinks the deck is like in the house so he won't go on it. If the kennel was on the ground I bet you wouldn't have this problem.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Update on the situation.....

Threw away old dog house, ordered Dog Den 2. Weather was mild so no dog house for a day or 2 in the kennel. Put the Dog Den 2 in and you guessed it, he only went in to pee. Cleaned it out and removed it (did not put a new dog house in), was out of town about 10 days with the dogs. Put the Dog Den back in yesterday.....he peed in it.

"I'll put his blanket from his crate in there to make it feel homey." -----Nope, just ripped it up.

"I'll put in a wire crate full of hay, maybe he'll pee in that." ----nope just slept in the wire hay filled crate and peed in the Dog Den, AND it was raining all day.

I really don't know what to do about this. Doesn't pee inside, doesn't pee in crate or in plastic pet porter. Even overnight for 9-10 hours. I've removed the Dog Den until I figure something out, no point in him ruining it. I'd rather not put the kennel on the ground, he'll dig and stay muddy for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Bizarro! Maybe he is marking his dog house to say it is his? or maybe he is saying , "I want to live in the house!" :)

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Sharon wrote:Bizarro! Maybe he is marking his dog house to say it is his? or maybe he is saying , "I want to live in the house!" :)

Haha, who knows....regardless I'm not leaving that brand new Dog Den in their for him to use as a toilet. Maybe I'll just put a tarp up and he can sleep on the decking. Weather doesn't seem to bother him. :roll: Funny thing is my brother's dog did the same thing and to this day he has never slept in a dog house, SC winters are a joke for a Chessie I guess.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:28 pm

I would guess your dog thinks of the decking as off limits for doing his business, and uses the the doghouse to go because he thinks he's hiding it. Like how a mostly housebroken dog will find a private spot to have an 'accident' instead of going where everyone can see him - their form of embarrassment?
Can you let another dog pee on this dog's deck, so he knows it's OK?
Can you find a way to let him out of the run several times a day to relieve himself, so he doesn't have to use the dog house? If that fixes the problem, you are closer to figuring out a solution...if he still uses the 'outhouse' then you can chalk him up as a weirdo :lol:

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:43 pm

shags wrote:I would guess your dog thinks of the decking as off limits for doing his business, and uses the the doghouse to go because he thinks he's hiding it. Like how a mostly housebroken dog will find a private spot to have an 'accident' instead of going where everyone can see him - their form of embarrassment?
Can you let another dog pee on this dog's deck, so he knows it's OK?
Can you find a way to let him out of the run several times a day to relieve himself, so he doesn't have to use the dog house? If that fixes the problem, you are closer to figuring out a solution...if he still uses the 'outhouse' then you can chalk him up as a weirdo :lol:
I agree with you that he thinks the decking is off limits. As far as finding a way to let him out multiple times a day, that would be nice but not feasible for the next 10- 14 years (he's 5 months). My Pointer lived in there for years and peed all over it. He's in a similar set up now. I could put him back in his old run and let him put some fresh scent on it. I'm willing to try anything. Other than this he's a great dog....hoping he's not a weirdo. Haha.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm stumped.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 am

Try putting something of yours, sweaty t-shirt or type of clothing that you have been wearing, that has lots of your scent on it for him to sleep on; maybe that will help! If not you will know what he thinks of your wardrobe. :lol:

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:10 am

Thought about getting one of these and over time making it smaller and smaller and smaller until its gone. My concern is he will just shred it in the first 5 minutes and I will have blown 30 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Patch-Dispo ... B005G7S6UI

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:11 am

Meller wrote:Try putting something of yours, sweaty t-shirt or type of clothing that you have been wearing, that has lots of your scent on it for him to sleep on; maybe that will help! If not you will know what he thinks of your wardrobe. :lol:
Worth a shot

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:07 pm

dogs most of the time dont like to potty where they eat with that big of a dog house try moving his water and food in the dog house most of the time the dog will go outside if this dont work build a smaller dog box

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:10 pm

setterpoint wrote:dogs most of the time dont like to potty where they eat with that big of a dog house try moving his water and food in the dog house most of the time the dog will go outside if this dont work build a smaller dog box

Did that, the Dog Den 2 is small. He's already as big as my Pointer.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:25 pm

Last edited by GSP4ME on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Okay, idea from left field. Put a chunk of sod in a corner and see what happens. Maybe he wants a litter box.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:05 am

DougB wrote:Okay, idea from left field. Put a chunk of sod in a corner and see what happens. Maybe he wants a litter box.

I thought of that, just having trouble finding sod in December. I think it would work though, going to keep looking.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Looking at your avatar , he's a beautiful dog. One would never know he had a quirk. Hopefully the New Year solves the problem. :)

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Sharon wrote:Looking at your avatar , he's a beautiful dog. One would never know he had a quirk. Hopefully the New Year solves the problem. :)
Thank you, but he's not the one giving me the problem.

The guilty party is below :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:39 pm

I looked in his fun loving eyes, and can tell you with some certainty that he is just messing with you. It is going to be all right, he will stop on his own and find other ways to bedevil you. I like him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Oh ,well that explains it all. He's not a pointe or a setter. :wink:

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:18 pm

Neil wrote:I looked in his fun loving eyes, and can tell you with some certainty that he is just messing with you. It is going to be all right, he will stop on his own and find other ways to bedevil you. I like him.

Haha, I like him to. He's a great dog....you're probably right.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Sharon wrote:Oh ,well that explains it all. He's not a pointe or a setter. :wink:

I'm almost ashamed to admit what the Pointer's quirk is. Let's just say he enjoys eating stuff that other dogs have already eaten .... And digested.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:18 pm

I had this problem before. He does not like the smooth surface...
try putting some sod down in a corner away from the food. Put the food and water right by the house.Use enough sod so he can walk around on it a bit. (Mine played with it and dragged it around :? ) also if you can put something tough (I'll try to link below) inside the dog house for the pup to lay in that makes the space smaller and cozier, and keep the hay out for a short time.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SY300_.jpg

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:08 am

mountaindogs wrote:I had this problem before. He does not like the smooth surface...
try putting some sod down in a corner away from the food. Put the food and water right by the house.Use enough sod so he can walk around on it a bit. (Mine played with it and dragged it around :? ) also if you can put something tough (I'll try to link below) inside the dog house for the pup to lay in that makes the space smaller and cozier, and keep the hay out for a short time.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SY300_.jpg

Everywhere I call says no sod until March, I think I'm going to dig up a patch of the yard haha! Not sure anything would fit in their with him though. He's got to be 40 something lbs now and as tall as the full grown EP. I do think the sod/grass would work. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know if it works.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:47 am

I had a pointer pup that would use her dog house as her restroom and bedroom. I took a piece of plywood and framed it with a 2x4 so it would stand up on edge and put it in the house giving her a very small living area, just enought to lay down. If she was going to sleep indoors she was going to have to lay in her excrement. It did not take long before she quit relieving her self in the dog house.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:58 am

Big Dave wrote:I had a pointer pup that would use her dog house as her restroom and bedroom. I took a piece of plywood and framed it with a 2x4 so it would stand up on edge and put it in the house giving her a very small living area, just enought to lay down. If she was going to sleep indoors she was going to have to lay in her excrement. It did not take long before she quit relieving her self in the dog house.
Do you have a small crate laying around? I bet if you give the dog just enough room to curl up and sleep, not enough room assume the position for anything else, problem solved. Example, my big dog is very comfortable in a large sizr plastic crate, 36X24X26. He has room to manuever in there, and can sit and stand easily. He can sleep in the next size down crate maybe 30X22X24. No way could he squat to do anything else.

Other than that, maybe count your blessings. He could be running through it and mashing it into the floor, walls, and fencing. Some dogs just aren't very couth :D

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Try this...Get a chunk of the Fake turf at the box store and use some of that spray that you use for puppies to tell them where to pee. Maybe the site of something green would help him. You could cut it to a quarter of the pen.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:39 am

Astroturf? Maybe a yard?

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:46 am

I decided to dig up a chunk of yard (grass and dirt) since I couldn't find any sod for sale. It's a rectangle about 3x2 feet. I put it on the lumber deck of the kennel today for him. It was on a large flattened cardboard box (that's how I transported it so it stayed all in one piece) and probably weighed a solid 40 lbs. I also placed a t-shirt I slept in and some food inside the Dog Den. My recent spying showed that he is pretty much destroying everything and having a blast....yet to see him enter the dog house. Current "feels like temp" is 24 F. At least he's entertaining. We'll see where he pee'd when I get home this afternoon. :lol:

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 am

He shredded the chunk of grass so it's more like a dirt mound now BUT he is using the bathroom there now and laying in his house. Problem solved .... For the time being. Thanks for all the input.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 am

He's probably thinking, "Cripes, finally! It took that bonehead long enough to figure it out!" :lol: :lol: :lol: