FDSB

BirdyBoris

FDSB

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm new to the GSP and gun dog world. I was taking a look at my dogs papers and I noticed a lot of FDSB on his AKC papers on sires side. What does this mean? Also relation to Rawhides Clown on sires side and Vom Hesser. On Dam's side Stolzhafens and Rawhides clown as well. I have no idea what these names mean.Any input? Is this considered line breeding as Rawhides clown is on both sides?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: FDSB

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 pm

:) That sounds like a very fine dog!

I don't know who wrote this, but I believe it to be correct:

"The Field Dog Stud Book is the oldest purebred dog registry in the United States having started registrations in and currently maintaining records from 1874. The Field Dog Stud Book currently registers around 5,000 litters each year and has registered several million dogs. In addition to registration the FDSB maintains the results of DNA testing of dogs to promote genetic health.

The Field Dog Stud Book focuses on dogs bred to perform in the field. It supports no conformation showing. This stud book is affiliated with the field trial magazine "The American Field" which is the oldest continuously published sporting dog journal in the U.S.

The FDSB registers dogs of all breeds, but is primarily for pointing, flushing, and retrieving breeds of gun dog. Among some breeds, such as English Setters, the FDSB will register the dog in its particular breed as well as the particular line within the breed such as the Llewellin Setter. Many dogs are registered with the FDSB as well as with other registries and with kennel clubs." quote
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:42 pm

BirdyBoris wrote:I'm new to the GSP and gun dog world. I was taking a look at my dogs papers and I noticed a lot of FDSB on his AKC papers on sires side. What does this mean? Also relation to Rawhides Clown on sires side and Vom Hesser. On Dam's side Stolzhafens and Rawhides clown as well. I have no idea what these names mean.Any input? Is this considered line breeding as Rawhides clown is on both sides?
That is considered line breeding

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Rawhides Clown was a National Field Champion. :D The shorthair people on here can help you out more with the pedigree---I'm kinda surprised the haven't yet.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Post it. Can't help with something we haven't seen. Looks like the breeder is a grouse hunter. I'd guess more of a versatile line than FT line from how you describe him. Black is more common in the versatile or import lines than in field trial lines.

Vom Hesser is pure Deutsch kurzhaar
Last edited by greg jacobs on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:05 pm

His breeder hunts wild birds with his dogs. The one thing he said when we picked Boris up from training was that he will find all the birds and the fastest and he has a steady point he won't creep or bump. He is very intense and has a long nose.I just worry as a novice when it comes to bird dogs.He has been on a running female pheaseat and he will track stop and point so she's stops running after i release him.. His breeder trains them to whoa till relaesed even after a shot.Is allowing him to do so confusing? He will never break point even after a running bird unless he is released.I have heard mixed things that after shot is ok and that only when you give the command.I just want to do what is best for my dog.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:18 pm

greg jacobs wrote:Post it. Can't help with something we haven't seen. Looks like the breeder is a grouse hunter. I'd guess more of a versatile line than FT line from how you describe him. Black is more common in the versatile or import lines than in field trial lines.

Vom Hesser is pure Deutsch kurzhaar
His breeder said you wont use these dogs in trials but when I look at his lineage he has a lot of field trail champions.This is all new to me.I go with my boyfriend hunting as Im the dog person and he has been on guided hunts with other peoples dogs.I have worked with dogs and horses for years training and in the veterinary field. I understand their behavior.I basically go as the handler.To me seeing my dog find a bird and getting the reward of the retrieval is the altimate reward.Im also a horrible shot :D

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:38 pm

His lines mean nothing to me.I know I'm lucky to have such an amazing companion. Just curious because I keep getting asked what line he is out of

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:47 pm

Sharon wrote::) That sounds like a very fine dog!

"The Field Dog Stud Book is the oldest purebred dog registry in the United States having started registrations in and currently maintaining records from 1874. The Field Dog Stud Book currently registers around 5,000 litters each year and has registered several million dogs. In addition to registration the FDSB maintains the results of DNA testing of dogs to promote genetic health.

The Field Dog Stud Book focuses on dogs bred to perform in the field. It supports no conformation showing. This stud book is affiliated with the field trial magazine "The American Field" which is the oldest continuously published sporting dog journal in the U.S.

The FDSB registers dogs of all breeds, but is primarily for pointing, flushing, and retrieving breeds of gun dog. Among some breeds, such as English Setters, the FDSB will register the dog in its particular breed as well as the particular line within the breed such as the Llewellin Setter. Many dogs are registered with the FDSB as well as with other registries and with kennel clubs." quote
Thanks Sharon!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Sorry I'm on my phone. Can't enlarge and keep it clear enough to read.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:23 am

Max and Sofia both have quite a bit of import blood.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 am

BirdyBoris -

Very nice looking shorthair. Well put together and the pointing style in the photos is excellent.

Glad you are having fun with him. Enjoy.

RayG

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 am

You have a dog from a hunting dog breeder. It can do what it is capable of doing, just like the rest of them. Nothing really close up that someone can put a finger on and say they have seen that dog run...

I train my dogs to stand until released... Nothing about a wild bird running confuses her. If you know the bird is running and you get to the dog, give the dog your command to relocate, they should go on point closer and you move to flush the bird. Usually the only confused party is the owner. Don't worry you will pick it up shortly.

FDSB registration is required to do American field events..

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Sharon wrote::) That sounds like a very fine dog!

I think it was in Field Trials x William F. Brown, where I read about the history of the FDSB. One of the things it mentioned was that FDSB gave AKC records to get them started!

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for all the information! Ive been doing a lot of internet searches. He is line breed with Rawhides clown. Sires side has hege haus, vom hessler and dams has Beirs's Evolution. I have had fun looking up his pedigree. Regardless of if it means anything. I know I have a great companion. He is a once in lifetime dog regardless of predigree