Modernizing the 2nd Amendment

Neil
GDF Junkie

Modernizing the 2nd Amendment

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:53 am

Many believe the 2nd Amendment should only apply to muskets, thinking that was the only weapon available at the time of adoption. Not true.

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.nz/clas ... n-patented

Those same people accept the 1st Amendment covering radio, television, and the internet; and extending it to religions not practiced in the original Colonies.

I welcome an honest debate on reducing gun violence, but we need facts.

Neil

Bacon1676

Re: Modernizing the 2nd Amendment

Post by Bacon1676 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:21 pm

I guess I don't have facts other than personal experience. If people want to do something, they are gonna do it. Make laws, rules, whatever, won't stop people from killing people they want dead. People in prison have made working guns in prison. PRISON!!!! Where there shouldn't be able to do. http://www.correctionsone.com/contraban ... and-tools/ . You might stop some deaths but there are many other ways to kill someone. Human kind seems to have a nack for thinking of ways to kill people.

Valuing life and learning to accept people's differences is really the only way to stop attacks, we don't have to agree with others points of view, but we can learn to discuss problems like adults. But there are people out there that just want it all and will do whatever it takes to get it, so who knows, it takes someone smarter and with more experience in life to know the right thing to do. Maybe taking all the guns away is the right thing to do, but it won't stop the violence and that is a FACT!!!!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I am very pro gun, but I honestly believe if you could confiscate all guns in private hands in the US you would great reduce homicides. I just want to be the last one to surrender mine.

You would also see a huge rise in other crimes as more of us become helpless victims. But most importantly you would no longer have an enduring republic.

Yet that is a moot point, as none of our politicians are bold enough to propose a outright ban, the just want to do it incrementally from the lawful with lies they think will be bought as common sense gun safety laws.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Figured there would be about 2 pages worth of replies by now. I'm pro gun as well. Nobody is solving a problem by banning guns. The likelihood of guns being banned is very slim, might get rid of hand guns like the UK (don't really know what the laws are), but in my life time they will still be around.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Yea, as I am typing this our Jack Hole in chief is saying on TV that we need more gun control. He is going to fix everything. Why wasn't he bombing the oil tankers going from isis to turkey. The drivers were civilians. He says Turkey should close its border. How about our border? What am idiot. Republicans need to get out the voters and vote anyone except a Democrat.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:39 pm

People killed each other in great numbers before there were gun. Molotov cocktail was just used in Egypt to kill 16. Poles used them to destroy Russian tanks. Some high number mass killings in the US due to bombs or fire. Eliminate guns, maybe eliminate gun violence. Knives, arrows, baseball bats, poison will still exist. According to the FBI, in 2014, fists and feet killed more people than long guns. Also point out that the death rate from guns has gone down for the last 10 years, even though the number of guns has increased. Violent people will kill. If they have guns, they will kill with guns. Non violent people with guns don't tend to kill unless forced to. We are a big country, and we get to see every mass shooting. The California shooting was 1700 miles from by door-same as the distance from London to Moscow. But I get the life story of every victim.

About half the gun deaths in the US are suicide. Japan has almost no private guns, but their suicide rate is twice ours. Maybe the problem is people, led by a divided and broken govt. Dem or GOP. they are the same. Rather watch our govt shut down than compromise. The whole loaf or nothing-lots of missed meals.

The 2A was written to limit the power of the Federal govt as compared to the states and people. Now, the feds want to eliminate it. Interesting. But money is free speech and corporations are people.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:00 pm

http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... atch-list/

DHS is charged with maintaining and adding names to the terrorist watch list, and 72 of its own employees are on the list. Do you want to trust your constitutional rights to these bureaucrats? The President said tonight he had not heard a good reason to not ban gun sales to those on the list. How about I don't trust the Government?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:52 am

When the Obama family and Ms. Clinton require their Secret Service or other protection agents to give up their weapons, then we can talk. Maybe they can explain why their lives are more worthy of protection than ours?

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:33 am

Lets face it... There are shootings every day in this country and most of the time none of us hear a word about it. We only hear about those events tide to terrorism because that's what the news feels we need/want to hear. Somebody shoots up a Wal-Mart its on the local news for 10 minutes and they move on, a terrorist opens up gun fire in California people are glued to the tv and the news is gonna feed us as much of it as we can. So, politicians tell us there needs to be stricter gun laws to prevent tragedies from happening again, but nothing really happens after that. Its like the TSA, they are there for show, do they provide some form of security of course they do, but has anyone ever heard of the TSA stopping a terrorist attack? Not that I'm aware of, those who have stopped attacks have been Air Marshals, bistandards, and security measurements like bullet proof doors, but it makes the public feel secure that everyone is being screened for potential threats. Politicians use tragic events to gain or keep supporters. Unfortunately, in today's society people in the public eye must comment to show where they stand on an event, topic, law, or they are critized by the public for not caring.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:13 am

So, how do you now how many terrorist attacks have been stopped and by whom..................Cj

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:23 am

I'm not saying his word is the end all word but there is merit to what he is saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LDzOi1dyAA .

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06 ... ccess.html
That was this year, they also failed to detect a bomb this year as well. There are many cases, just look it up online.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:08 pm

I think we often allow the media and politicians to mistakingly label symptoms as problems to divide us and gather votes and ratings. Do we really have a gun violence problem, a criminal justice problem, a failing education system etc. etc. etc. or are they just symptoms of the real problem of broken families and people who bring children in to this world they are unfit to raise and care for?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Garrison wrote:I think we often allow the media and politicians to mistakingly label symptoms as problems to divide us and gather votes and ratings. Do we really have a gun violence problem, a criminal justice problem, a failing education system etc. etc. etc. or are they just symptoms of the real problem of broken families and people who bring children in to this world they are unfit to raise and care for?
Amen

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:32 am

Garrison wrote:I think we often allow the media and politicians to mistakingly label symptoms as problems to divide us and gather votes and ratings. Do we really have a gun violence problem, a criminal justice problem, a failing education system etc. etc. etc. or are they just symptoms of the real problem of broken families and people who bring children in to this world they are unfit to raise and care for?
You're probably right. I think they may also be symptoms of systematic problems in our country.

May I also suggest this thread belongs in the off topic section?

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 am

why dont we ever hear about where some one stops a crime or someone life was saved because they had a gun the nra should be bringing this out

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:06 pm

setterpoint wrote:why dont we ever hear about where some one stops a crime or someone life was saved because they had a gun the nra should be bringing this out
They try to publicize it, news will not carry it. Every issue of their 3 magazines has a section on it, and if you Friend them on Facebook there are frequent reports.