Flagging

clayj

Flagging

Post by clayj » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:28 pm

I have a 6 month old shorthair that has been on birds sparingly since she was 8 wks old (Maybe 1 to 2 birds every other week). When she first started out i used pen raised birds and let her knock them until she figured out that she couldn't catch them, and she developed a nice intense point. From the time she turned 4 months i stopped with the pen raised birds and started putting pigeons in launchers and she kept her same intense point and now lets me walk in front of her to flush. There has not been any pressure applied in any of these drills nor has she ever caught a bird. Now to present day. We had a NSTRA field trial at our club this past weekend so i thought today i could take her out and let her find some leftover birds and she did, but the ones that she found she was flagging like crazy on three different encounters. Does anybody have any suggestions to what might have caused this or what can be done to correct it?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Flagging

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:32 pm

You've made it clear that it is not due to any pressure/stress from you.

However, it is a sign of some kind of stress .Maybe the different place has made the dog unsure ; maybe they want to flush the bird but are restraining themselves ( Was it a different kind of bird there than you've been using?); maybe the dog can smell the scent of many other dogs which is causing some stress. Personally I wouldn't be concerned about it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Dogs trained on pigeons in launchers are often unsure of themselves when they start on free birds, Especially quail. The launcher has a much stronger scent with the build up of scent on the pad. With more bird experience she will probably stop flagging. Maybe a little more bird work than she needs at this age..........Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:26 pm

She is 6 months old, she will be fine, just a little unsure.

Many wouldn't, but I would kill a few birds for her.