Help! Need advice about "one-man" dog

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:39 am

I have a male Brittany (Rudy) who we got about 3 years ago when he was 2 years old. He was a rescue and has been a fabulous dog who loves to hunt. There is only one problem - the dog was supposed to be a gift for my daughter and try as she might, the dog has definitely gravitated towards me and is essentially a "one-man" dog. The dog is friendly and will play with the rest of the family, but only follows me around and really listens to me. He is somewhat aloof with the rest of the family.

Now I am thinking about getting a second dog, this time a puppy that I want to be the kid's dog. I love the Brittanys, but I am concerned that the 2nd dog may end up like the first. Having never owned a brittany before now, I don't know how common that is to the breed.

From some research, it sounds like the "one-man" dog can be the result of several things:

1. Breed - this is where i could really use some help from you guys with more brittany experience

2. Poor socialization as pup - this could be, since we don't know anything about Rudy's first 2 years. Since then he has been heavily socialized with lots of dogs and has not shown any issues there.

3. How we interacted with the dog. I worked with Rudy on training and then hunting, and i suspect that this plays a large part of the strong attachment to me.

So, my question is really if a second brittany is right for us? I would take a backseat role in the training, feeding, etc of the new dog and let my daughter take lead on that, regardless of what breed we get. Would this be a successful strategy for a brittany, or are they just pre-disposed to be a one-person dog and/or gravitate towards the alpha?

Really appreciate any thoughts and insights everyone.

Randy

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Help! Need advice about "one-man" dog

Post by shags » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 am

How old is the kidlette?

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 am

She is 10, but mature for her age and very serious about a dog. She tried with our first dog, but with him being a 2-yr old rescue and us not knowing any better, we probably made a bunch of mistakes.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:10 am

I would say that a bird dog who is used for birds is gonna gravitate to the bird hunter. Try getting your daughter involved with the hunting and training process. They will associate them with a good time. Other than that, it's purely luck of the draw which person they gravitate towards, especially with a puppy. Would this new dog be used for hunting? If so, how much is your daughter gonna do at 10? I remember when I was 10, not sure I could have trained a dog for hunting or even obedience, but I'm a guy and was slow to mature, still trying to mature now that I think about it. Lol.

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks Bacon, I know the feeling! I do not plan to hunt the new dog, unless my daughter wants to in the future. I have thought the same thing about hunting it. I would only do that if she trained the dog and was commanding it in the field. Primary goal is basic obedience and a great pet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:33 am

Feeding is a basic need and probably the most Important single act that effects bonding.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks for clarifying your situation. If it were my family, I'd take the girl to look at some rescues and let a dog choose her. Since hunting isn't a requirement, breed really doesn't matter, correct?
My setters are definitely "my" dogs, probably because I work with them so much. But we adopted rescues twice, and both of them picked out my DH and adored the ground he walked on, even though I did most of the care, feeding, and training.
Maybe letting the dog choose would work for you too :) good luck!

RockyDD

Post by RockyDD » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:54 am

Why would you pick a Brittany for you daughter? Will she be a hunter? Maybe you should let her pick the breed that she wants and will bond with.

I have a DD that is a one man dog also. He spends every minute of the day within a few feet of me or watching me. He is nice with other people but only listens to me. I am also getting second DD and am worried about a problem you didn't mention. Will my old dog be jealous of the new one? Will they ever be friends and will the old one allow the new one to bond with me?

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:04 pm

The choice of a brittany is based on a bunch of factors, compiled by my wife and kids. Their list includes minimal shedding, active dog, friendly/loving dog, medium size. After literally looking at dozens of breeds, there are very few that fit all those things. Those things, combined with being familiar with brittanys already, makes sense. Whether my daughter bird hunts or not, only time will tell. She isnt quite odl enough now to go out with me, but that day is coming soon. She likes to go deeer and turkey hunting with me, and killed her first deer this fall, so I am hopeful ;)

I also tried the pound route already and got a GREAT puppy, but wife vetoes it the second she got home because it had a lot of Amstaff in it. Now she doesn't want to consider pound dogs.

That being said, I would welcome any other breed suggestions that might fit the bill. I am not intractable on being a brittany. To save some time, we have already considered gsps (wife thinks too hyper), labs/golden/poodle (too big), lots of dogs too hairy (english springer, setters, etc).

I'm finding it hard to satisfy "the list" with anything but brittany.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Whoever trains the dog is who the dog will worship. Doesn't matter what breed you get, if YOU train it, it will be YOUR dog no matter how much the other family members play with it. This is doubly true when it's a hunting dog. In hunting dogs, I feel the best family pet and usable dog is a lab.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Agree with gonehuntin. Whoever trains the dog is who the dog gravitates too. I have a pudelpointer (without a doubt will follow me everywhere) and two pound dogs. The rescues are terrier mixes picked out by my wife and teenage sons. As much as the rescues enjoy the rest of the family they still gravitate to me because I trained them. In case your wondering letting the dog sleep in your daughters room won't overcome the training bond. Tried with my boys and only turned into the dogs getting special treatment for sleeping. Didn't change the bonding. Luckily your daughter is young and willing to train. Let her pick a dog that will do the things she wants to do. If she doesn't hunt a hunting dog will eventually gravitate to the person that does hunt. Just my experience for what it is worth.

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Appreciate all the advice, very helpful!

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:25 pm

you want a good dog for your kid, get a shetland sheepdog. They have great size, amazing trainability and they are amazing with kids. I had one as a boy and I miss him terribly. I don't know if its still this way but 4H training programs for youth used to promote the breed. I was in such a club as a middle schooler and every kid there had one. I can't say enough good things about them. When my boy is a year or two older we will definately be getting one for him

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:30 pm

thanks, will check them out!

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Briattny's make good pets also, and also not grow as large to handle for a 10yr old. I also think it will gravitate more towards the trainer, and the care taker (making sure she would be feeding and grooming). It depends a lot on time spent with the dog, by her.
JMO :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 pm

DeLo727 wrote:you want a good dog for your kid, get a shetland sheepdog. They have great size, amazing trainability and they are amazing with kids. I had one as a boy and I miss him terribly. I don't know if its still this way but 4H training programs for youth used to promote the breed. I was in such a club as a middle schooler and every kid there had one. I can't say enough good things about them. When my boy is a year or two older we will definately be getting one for him
I really like so much about them but hate the constant yapping. Most 4-Her's in our area are using pets that commonly just cross'breds of some sort with a few purebreds thrown in but can't remember seeing a sheltie in years.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Don't let your daughter choose that cute little Jack Russell ( many in rescue), until you've had 10 dogs to learn from.:)

Last edited by Sharon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:09 pm

It's difficult to reply to a stranger without sounding condescending .
Is the new dog for You or the daughter or some vision you have for the dog with your daughter?..either way both require training.
Mine will do what they are trained to do no matter who is handling them! .
That way I know they are trained.

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Great question. This dog is definitely for my daughter. I have a great dog now that does everything I want. I will be disappointed (as will my daughter) if the dog doesn't turn out to be "hers". I have to admit I would love one day to be able to go out in the field with her and the 2nd dog, but I would be happy if hers never wanted to hunt, either.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:37 pm

It is not hard to make sure it is her dog just by making sure it is her's. That means she feeds and she trains while you are there for her to ask when she needs help. I have found it often becomes less important that it is theirs when they discover how it is done. So it will be your responsibility to see that she follows through with you being the mentor and advisor.

Ezzy

randellhand

Post by randellhand » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:It is not hard to make sure it is her dog just by making sure it is her's. That means she feeds and she trains while you are there for her to ask when she needs help. I have found it often becomes less important that it is theirs when they discover how it is done. So it will be your responsibility to see that she follows through with you being the mentor and advisor.

Ezzy

Excellent advice, thank you!

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:08 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Feeding is a basic need and probably the most Important single act that effects bonding.
Ezzy I Agree! My boyfriend and I have two dogs a bullmastiff and gsp. Very different personalities. I feed them, he spends all day with them as he works from home but the difference between our relationships with our dogs is very different.They respond to my commands and at night they lay by my feet.Its pack mentality and dogs need to know their place in the pack. Sometimes its a simple as eating before you feed them or walking out a doorway first.When they act out most times they are fighting for a spot in the pack and challenging.We make the mistake as treating them as equals because that makes us feel good but with certain dogs especially dominant ones it can be confusing.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Ezzy, said it best!
+1

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:39 pm

My 2 year old female Brittany was a single pup litter. Her first 8 weeks were with a lady and her daughter. This dog worships any lady. I have trained her and work her on birds several times a week. She does watch me and wait for the next time we leave the yard but any lady that shows up she is there to greet them with lots of love. She especially likes to go out and fetch the morning paper. Bring it to my wife and get praise from her. I have to agree that a Brittany is the best choice for a family dog. They are very affectionate.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Feeding is a basic need and probably the most Important single act that effects bonding.
My wife had a dog that I fed, and let out the vast majority of the time. The vast majority of of his care besides grooming and bathing came from me. He didn't like me touching him.

That dog always hated me.

Also a rescue, rescues can be weird.

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Whoever trains the dog is who the dog will worship. Doesn't matter what breed you get, if YOU train it, it will be YOUR dog no matter how much the other family members play with it. This is doubly true when it's a hunting dog. In hunting dogs, I feel the best family pet and usable dog is a lab.
This.

The person who trains, feeds, and walks the dog is the boss. The dog wants limits, and views the person who enforces limits as "boss". I've tried to convince my wife that the way to get the dogs respect is to clean up the yard after the dog, but no luck so far.

You only recommend labs because you've never had a field bred Springer.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:55 pm

DougB wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Whoever trains the dog is who the dog will worship. Doesn't matter what breed you get, if YOU train it, it will be YOUR dog no matter how much the other family members play with it. This is doubly true when it's a hunting dog. In hunting dogs, I feel the best family pet and usable dog is a lab.
This.

The person who trains, feeds, and walks the dog is the boss. The dog wants limits, and views the person who enforces limits as "boss". I've tried to convince my wife that the way to get the dogs respect is to clean up the yard after the dog, but no luck so far.

I recommend lab's because they're used by the seeing eye, by the military and don't develop "springer rage".

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:16 pm

DougB wrote:
This.

I love Springer's but a Lab is easier for a novice to handle.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:27 pm

A trained Rottweiler is easier for a novice handler than an untrained Lab or Spaniel.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
DougB wrote:
This.

I recommend lab's because they're used by the seeing eye, by the military and don't develop "springer rage".
What is "springer rage"? Never herd of that.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Bacon1676 wrote:
A 'Red Herring' :wink:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Bacon1676 wrote:

Some strains of Springers are famous for it. You rarely see it anymore, so I'm told, in field bred Springers but in the show and back yard bred dog's it's still fairly common. It is when a Springer bites you for absolutely no reason. He may be laying alongside you and your petting him and he wheels and ferociously bites you. When I was a trainer I disliked them intensely. Nearly everyone I got in seemed to be a biter. It may have been a localized problem predominate in my kennel locale. I don't know but I've never trusted a Springer since then. Mentally unbalanced dogs.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:07 pm

how many people have ever seen Springer Rage.....................Cj

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Any breed of dog who is product of bad breeding can exibit aggression. It is something that we have bred out of dogs for years. I have owned bull mastiffs for years. I have one who is the breed standard. She is quite, stubborn and a gentle giant, she is also a very sensitive dog and I know if need be she would protect her family.I have another Bullmastiff who is dog aggersive and very weary of people she does not know. She is overly protective and unpredictable. She has attacked 2 dogs to the point of drawing blood and going for their juggler. She attacked after these dogs jumped one me.She is a great dog to her family but I would never trust her around people she does not know.Diffrent breeders, different lines, same training. I know she is not a dog I can take off leah on hikes or have around other dogs as she is reactive. She has been to training classes and the outcome is always the same. She is insecure always fighting for her spot.She is a dog who forms bonds with humans but other dogs are a threat and same for people she doesn't know. That being said she lives with my mother and is a great companion and guard dog. She can not handle the stress of a living with other dogs so she is in a only dog household .

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:55 pm

BirdyBoris wrote:Any breed of dog who is product of bad breeding can exibit aggression. It is something that we have bred out of dogs for years. I have owned bull mastiffs for years. I have one who is the breed standard. She is quite, stubborn and a gentle giant, she is also a very sensitive dog and I know if need be she would protect her family.I have another Bullmastiff who is dog aggersive and very weary of people she does not know. She is overly protective and unpredictable. She has attacked 2 dogs to the point of drawing blood and going for their juggler. She attacked after these dogs jumped one me.She is a great dog to her family but I would never trust her around people she does not know.Diffrent breeders, different lines, same training. I know she is not a dog I can take off leah on hikes or have around other dogs as she is reactive. She has been to training classes and the outcome is always the same. She is insecure always fighting for her spot.She is a dog who forms bonds with humans but other dogs are a threat and same for people she doesn't know. That being said she lives with my mother and is a great companion and guard dog. She can not handle the stress of a living with other dogs so she is in a only dog household .
No one is trying to run anyone's dog down and certainly not a breed either. Springer Rage was common enough that it was named and was a rather severe problem. I haven't been closely involved for some time now and I can not comment if it has changed or not. At the time it was not connected to a certain line but seemed to be a random problem.

Grommet

Post by Grommet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:49 am

I personally have never heard of springer rage. I have heard of spaniel rage and its association with bench breed cockers. As to how common it is that I can't comment.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:08 am

Having fostered and "foster-failure" almost 100 birddogs, I will tell you, sometimes the dog just picks you. My husband's first chessie hated me (I feed them, I train them, I run them on birds) and loved him. Our young GSP that I trained solo, fed, and exercised absolutely adores him. Sometimes it's a crap shoot on that.

I will say that if you don't absolutely have to have a brit, then the idea of going through a rescue (or even a local shelter) to find a dog that really seems to gravitate towards your daughter might be best. You can't be sure with a pup, even if she does the primary care of said pup, it may still gravitate towards you instead of her. No matter what you choose to do, make her the primary caregiver and if you get a pup, don't let it spend the majority of its' day with the other dog - it should be spending time one-on-one with your daughter ALONE. See if you can get her entered into obedience classes or even bird dog training classes. I know my trainer will let a mature youngster to handle dogs at his training clinics.

I'm a huge fan of rescue - so I'd say look at that venue IF you don't have to have a specific litter. Also, with some rescues you can become a foster parent and "try out" a few dogs. That is only possible if you can stomach letting the wrong ones go when it's time though. You might go through a few pups before you find the one that clicks with your daughter.
Last edited by RoostersMom on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:45 pm

All of the above reasons are why I recommended a lab. A lab bonds with EVERYONE, has one of the most even disposition around, loves children, and is easy for anyone to handle. Of course, like any other dog that is a good citizen, they do have to be trained at least in obedience.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:51 pm

No one is trying to run anyone's dog down and certainly not a breed either. Springer Rage was common enough that it was named and was a rather severe problem. I haven't been closely involved for some time now and I can not comment if it has changed or not. At the time it was not connected to a certain line but seemed to be a random problem.[/quote]

Using the term bad breeding was incorrect and I apoloize.By no means was I trying to insult anyones dog. I have two bull mastiffs who are great dogs just very different.In my experience the particular breeder my aggressive dog came from I found out other owners were having having the same issue. So that was where I was coming from. I love them both and the aggressive dog has been a challenge but also a great learning experience and very rewarding.I know nothing about springers.I work in the veterinary field and have been around aggressive dogs of almost every breed. I would try contacting someone knowlegable and with exprience dealing with aggressive dogs. Good luck with your pup!

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:57 pm

"Springer rage has never been found in field bred springers, only in the bench bred. Springers are used by the Brits as bomb dogs. I like labs, had several. They are a good first dog and are great in the woods. My yellow lab, about 90 lbs, told an unwelcome kid he couldn't come in the house without permission. Kid became a believer. I am on my forth ESS now, and I swear he smiles when we head into the deep grass.

powbass@gmail.com

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Are all GWP overly attached to their "one Man". It's just me and the dog kind of life we are living. He follows me where ever I go. I have had to let him follow me into the bathroom,because he would look for some kind of trouble to get into, if left
him alone. He is now one and half, sure hope maturing will change things.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:50 pm

powbass@gmail.com wrote:Are all GWP overly attached to their "one Man". It's just me and the dog kind of life we are living. He follows me where ever I go. I have had to let him follow me into the bathroom,because he would look for some kind of trouble to get into, if left
him alone. He is now one and half, sure hope maturing will change things.
I would describe them as "needy" dog's. When I had them in for training, they were horrible locked in a kennel. They would track their poop all over including the sides of the pen. They are tremendous dog's but do form an amazing bond with the owner, something I've seen in no other breed to the extent they have it. It never really seems to decrease. Personally, I love that about the breed but you're right, when young you better not leave them unattended; kennel them.