Bird Dog Wars

displaced_texan

Re: Bird Dog Wars

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:58 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:
And I have no clue who the Mills Brothers are, but no matter what you value it takes money. Time is money.
You just let on that you ain't qite as old as some of the old curmudgeons on this board...Like me. :) :)

The Mills brothers were a vocal group and a pretty good one at that.

RayG
33 lol

I'll look them up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:
And I have no clue who the Mills Brothers are, but no matter what you value it takes money. Time is money.
You just let on that you ain't qite as old as some of the old curmudgeons on this board...Like me. :) :)

The Mills brothers were a vocal group and a pretty good one at that.

RayG
33 lol

I'll look them up.
I had several 78 albums by them. They probably were one of the two best vocals in that time

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:29 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
displaced_texan wrote: 33 lol

I'll look them up.
I had several 78 albums by them. They probably were one of the two best vocals in that time
I know what those are...

hookedupzx225

Post by hookedupzx225 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:16 am

I have read topics on this forum for several years. As birddog people go, it's interesting as the things discussed about Trials, hunting, training, and things in between are relatively the same. Meaning, sitting around discussing dog philosophy at trials between braces, discussing dogs in route to hunting destinations. I have had decent success in American Field AA, SD, AKC, ABHA, NSTRA. You won't convince most people that an AA dog that you rarely see that has one find, beats a dog with 4 finds with half the race. An AA guy that comes to watch an unfinished dog that bounces around a 40 acre field with 5 finds but has different attributes then what he has in his dogs, won't be real impressed. There are so many dynamics that it boils down to preference. One of the greatest AA dogs on the west coast who I trained with a scouted from time to time, if he finished his brace at time, was very hard to beat. Was discouraged to not back, I could always tell if he stole a point when the gallery and judges came up, kind of got a chuckle out of it. He was busted a time or two. To the purist, blasphemy. His biggest knock from the AA & SD group was that he produced supreme bird finding machines. Not enough run. I owned 4 different pups from him. Popping, animated, style to the max and BIRD finders. But again, complete differences from both sides. Most trial dogs the years I trialed, were rarely wild bird hunted. The dogs knew it was ShowTime when they were cut loose. Handlers did not want an all day hunting type gate. When the dogs start there brace, it's an hour of letting it all go. Would I saddle a Tennessee Walker again, go through the time, money, dedication it would take to make a competitive dog now? Not a chance. No interest. But definitely no regrets. Was a great time. My thoughts are very general, I know dogs can do both, mine did. Just a different, but kind of the same opinion. I really enjoy the perspectives from people on the site, manly because at one time through my dog journeys I held pretty close to those same thoughts at a particular time. Full circle I guess. Sorry for being so long winded.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:34 am

His opening statement was pretty hilarious though... lol

This is the type of stuff that appeals to me.
https://vimeo.com/123781585