breeding help/suggestions

raven13

breeding help/suggestions

Post by raven13 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:57 am

I have a 3 year old English pointer female that we tried to have bred in July when she was in heat last. We did progesterone testing to make sure the timing was right and the dogs did try, but they never had a tie. She is a little taller than him but i didnt think that would matter much? She was checked by a veterinarian and no stricter or problem could be found. The male has since bred another bitch with no problems and has the litter on the ground. Of course we had no puppies and it is getting close to time for her next heat cycle and I cannot decide what to do. Do I go ahead and try the again with same male or look for a different one? Just go straight to AI? Any other suggestions?

SCT

Re: breeding help/suggestions

Post by SCT » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Try him again on day 11 or whenever her progesterone tests indicated she was ovulating (5ng-10ng). If they don't tie, do the AI right then and there. It's a simple procedure and if you don't want to do it yourself your vet can do it and charge you $100-$150. Be sure to take good care of the male after he ejaculates, and if possible keep the bitch's rear end elevated for a short while right after. I'm surprised after spending the money for the Progesterone you didn't do the AI. Good luck!

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 pm

I had a female I took to two diffent males & she fought with them . The next time as she was coming in I took her To the male & left them kenneled next to each other & every day let them run together a short time in about 2 or 3
days they mated no trouble . over the years I have found that the best way some times they just need to get aqunited or need some time . The gals like to be sparked a little to get in the mood

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 am

Moulders Farm wrote:I had a female I took to two diffent males & she fought with them . The next time as she was coming in I took her To the male & left them kenneled next to each other & every day let them run together a short time in about 2 or 3
days they mated no trouble . over the years I have found that the best way some times they just need to get aqunited or need some time . The gals like to be sparked a little to get in the mood
I agree, this is a good strategy in my experience. We AIed my wifes golden retriever 3 times over the course of a 5 days, because the vaginal cytology said the time was right and she was standing well for the male, BUT they just couldnt get tied. We decided the male was just too old to do the job and proceeded with the AI. The following week, when we were gone and the dogs were staying at the clinic, they tied at least twice when the kennel girl turned them out together. Sometimes (most times) mother nature knows best!!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:43 am

The stud dog knows when the time is right. When they are interested let them spend time together preferably in a large area. When we take a bitch to a outside stud or bring one to our studs, we like to get them together early in the cycle especially with hard to breed females. the more you let nature take it's course the better...........CJ

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 am

I prefer to let Mother Nature take care of it, and keep an empty kennel for courting. But when someone travels some distance and will not leave the female, you have to help them.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:41 am

Some bitches do not take kindly to courting until they are ready. I have seen them do serious damage do the male. That is why we like a large area where they male has the opportunity to escape.........Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:53 am

cjhills wrote:Some bitches do not take kindly to courting until they are ready. I have seen them do serious damage do the male. That is why we like a large area where they male has the opportunity to escape.........Cj
Some are ready physically, but frightened or just mean; I have had to muzzle and hold their head while helping the male.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:17 pm

So did Mike Vick. it does not seem right to me. We do not keep females that will not breed naturally. It is a genetic issue and we want to get rid of it....................Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:43 pm

cjhills wrote:So did Mike Vick. it does not seem right to me. We do not keep females that will not breed naturally. It is a genetic issue and we want to get rid of it....................Cj
There is some truth in that (didn't know the Vick thing), but when I consider valuable genetic traits, that is way down the list. You want to hunt them every day of the season, you breed them 2 - 3 times a lifetime.

raven13

Post by raven13 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:04 pm

I should have been a little more specific I guess. The female would stand for him and the male was trying and his penis was entering but they just never tied together.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 pm

I am told that if he ejaculates, they do not have to tie for the breeding to take.

raven13

Post by raven13 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:54 pm

I had heard that too but didn't work for us. And that is why we didn't do an AI last time.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Was it only one breeding? Did the stud tie with the female who he got pregnant. Wasit at the studs kennel?
If this is a breeding I really wanted to do I would try to leave them together for a longer time if possible as soon as she starts her period. My females generally stand at about 12 to 14 days we generally do every other day as long as she stands. pretty much works every time. Usually about three ties............................Cj

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Some females don't like being bred. I have one like that, that I bred today. I just grab her collar, hold her up under the abdomen, and let Vern take acre of business. Then I just sit with them while they are tied, and keep the female calm and distract her while they are tied. Have had two successful breedings with this female so far, and hopefully this is the start of number 3.