cameras?

Collins1527

cameras?

Post by Collins1527 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm looking for a new camera for my wife for Christmas, she wants a fancy one. I see some really good pictures on here, so what are you guys using? I need it to be user friendly. I was looking at the nikon d3300 or rebel sl1 any thoughts?

Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: cameras?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Pentax K3

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Collins1527 wrote:I'm looking for a new camera for my wife for Christmas, she wants a fancy one. I see some really good pictures on here, so what are you guys using? I need it to be user friendly. I was looking at the nikon d3300 or rebel sl1 any thoughts?

Thanks
Not directly helpful, but I have a number of friends that are professional (full time, not side business) photographers, they all shoot Cannon. Plus one who is the outdoor writer for the paper, he gets to use the photographers old cameras. Also all Cannon.

I use a GoPro. Probably not what she wants. But based on what they use I'd be looking at a Cannon in a given price range.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:10 am

About all of the "top end" cameras are good. Have your wife go to a camera store and handle them. Unless she's a knowledgeable photographer, the camera will most likely be in "auto" mode most of the time, so many of the pricier models may be just money out of your pocket. Find the one that fits best in her hands and has the features/available accessories she desires and go with it. I personally use a Nikon D7000.

Jay

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:30 am

I use a Nikon D7000, too. I would go with something in the 5000 series at least, if a Nikon feels good in her hands. Canon and Nikon are like Chevy and Ford, to me. I have friends in both camps, and everyone seems happy :D

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:47 am

I think I'm going with the nikon d7100.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:44 am

I have a D5000 and a D7000. The 5000 is really fairly small and light. The 7000 is noticeably bigger and heavier. Any top end camera will probably work well but there is a pretty good learning curve to them. I have no idea how to use more than half of the stuff on either one, I suspect the same would be true of the other brands! To use mine I generally stick to the way I used my film camera's and just learn something new once in a while. One of these camera's could be put on program mode and simply adjust the ISO now and then and do very well. All brands have their champion's, just pick one and go for it. Go to B&H photo or Adarama and look at refurbished cameras, really cut's the cost. My 7000 was refurbished but was like new. Had only shot 17 frames with a life expectancy of 150,000 plus frame's. They are a great deal. I know Nikon's are there and probably Canon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:58 am

DonF wrote:I have a D5000 and a D7000. The 5000 is really fairly small and light. The 7000 is noticeably bigger and heavier. Any top end camera will probably work well but there is a pretty good learning curve to them. I have no idea how to use more than half of the stuff on either one, I suspect the same would be true of the other brands! To use mine I generally stick to the way I used my film camera's and just learn something new once in a while. One of these camera's could be put on program mode and simply adjust the ISO now and then and do very well. All brands have their champion's, just pick one and go for it. Go to B&H photo or Adarama and look at refurbished cameras, really cut's the cost. My 7000 was refurbished but was like new. Had only shot 17 frames with a life expectancy of 150,000 plus frame's. They are a great deal. I know Nikon's are there and probably Canon.
B&H has everything I think, at least I haven't found any brand they don't have

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:40 pm

What kind of camera does your wife want? P&S, SLR, large zoom, pocket, etc... I've been reading a lot about the mirrorless cameras as a good compromise between an SLR and P&S. I like a camera when I'm hunting or other other outdoor sports, but most SLR's a re just too big to be useful. A P&S is nice, but lacks some of the versatility especially when wanting a larger zoom. My brother-in-law just got a Sony a5100 camera and really likes it so far.

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:18 pm

I ended up picking up the Sony a6000. The bundle package

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Collins1527 wrote:I ended up picking up the Sony a6000. The bundle package
Nice - that's what I was gonna recommend. Should be a nice package with good capabilities she can grow into.

Love my Sony A700 - it's captured a shot here and there I've really liked thru the years shooting it and has been super reliable. Sony makes some great glass and she'll have access to some nice(r) lenses if she chooses to expand beyond the package. :mrgreen:

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:16 am

Doug, it seems really fast. Do you change any thing or just leave it on auto?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:29 am

It seems like that model of Sony doesn't have a view finder. I really like a view finder for fast shots. I believe the motor drive also shoots in a burst and not for as long as you hold the button down. Personally, I like taking short, 4 shot bursts so that burst feature bothers me. Seems like there is no perfect camera made until you start passing the $2000.00 mark. I was looking for one this year with a 50x telephoto, auto focus between every frame, viewfinder, and controllable motor drive. Couldn't get it in the price I was willing to pay so kept my old ones.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:12 am

It seems like that model of Sony doesn't have a view finder.
It does. :wink:
I believe the motor drive also shoots in a burst and not for as long as you hold the button down.
It does...you hold it down, it shoots. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClF9-35daIM
Doug, it seems really fast. Do you change any thing or just leave it on auto?
The only time I always shoot auto mode is when I'm shooting action shots (I shoot action auto, usually with continuous AF, and lock my lens focus from 3 meters to infinity setting) - other than that probably 99% of the time with my DSLR I use manual focus/manual settings. For landscapes I do pretty much just go with the "F8 and forget about it" philosophy which generally will give you good near to far crisp focus - other than that it depends on the light, the shot, the desired depth of field, etc. what settings I use.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Doug, does it shoot a burst of 10-11 pictures when you hold it down on motor drive, or can you shoot as many as you wish?

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:59 pm

If you really loved her you'd get the a7rii;-). I love what Sony has built in the a6000 and a7/a7r and I know they take fantastic photographs. But until they produce some fast zoom lenses I'm going to have to stay with my Olympus set up. Saving my nickels hoping to switch one day. I also prefer the ovf over the evf so I haven't even switched to the micro 4/3ds yet. I sure love my 100-400 f2.8-3.5 and the IS on my Oly equipment.

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:05 pm

The only camera I've ever used is my phone. So I have no Idea what iso, Eva ,pta etc is.lol I've been watching this guy on YouTube learning about it. He said there is more settings on these one then the $6000 dollar one, great...

Doug, do you use a photo shop cd? If so what's a good one?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:04 am

I love what Sony has built in the a6000 and a7/a7r and I know they take fantastic photographs. But until they produce some fast zoom lenses I'm going to have to stay with my Olympus set up.
Sony Zeiss glass is some of the best on the market. They make some pretty nice E-mount lenses for those cameras already. This E-mount 70-200 f4 G series is going to be "fast" enough for all but the most overcast of days:

If that doesn't cut it they make an E-mount to A-mount adapter which opens up all the Sony DSLR A-mount lens options:

This baby is one of the nicest lenses made by any maker, Sony's A-mount 500mm, f4 SSM G series for a mere $12,999.00. I rented it a couple times and It. Is. Awesome!

Here's a vid with a guy using a A6000, the adapter and the 300mm f2.8 G series lens - wicked setup...and the lens is only $7500! :lol: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMgpSrHGy0
do you use a photo shop cd? If so what's a good one?
I have always just used Photoshop Elements and Adobe RAW Converter and works great for my needs. I tried Lightroom and CSS and just found the workflow too cumbersome.
I've been watching this guy on YouTube learning about it. He said there is more settings on these one then the $6000 dollar one, great..
One of the best things to do IMO is just sit down with the manual that comes with the camera in one hand, your camera in your other hand, read about a feature, try it out right there, see what happens, figure it out and move on to the next thing in the manual. It's not like you're burning up film everytime the shutter clicks - shoot n shoot often!

I personally have been looking at the A6000 because they make some cool 3 axis gimbals specifically for mirrorless/mirrorless size cameras and thought the A6000 looked like an economical option vs the A7's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiQyH9sLOUI

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Definitely a lot of nice options with the Sony gear. But, I paid $750 for my used zuiko 100-400 f2.8-f3.5 and it does a decent job. If I need a little more I slap on my 1.4 converter and have 560mm at f4.9. May not be as clean or fast as the 500mm f4 you posted, but at 1/10th the price I'm good with the results;-)

Right now I think Sony makes the best sensor out there and I agree the a6000 is a great camera.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:10 am

I own a SONY A6000 mirrorless compact and love the camera. I have had it for well over a year and find it very intuitive to operate / shoot with, and the image quality is beautiful. There is a great sale price on this camera on Amazon going on right now, the camera body in black colore offered at almost 40% off of the regular price. I would highly recommend this camera for anyone looking for a compact mirrorless at a great price for a camera with incredible capabilities.

Photo of "REV" taken with my SONY A6000.

Photo of "TRAD" taken with my SONY A6000

Irishwhistler

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:11 pm

I have a Nixon D5200 and to be honest I don't use it as much as I would like. It's bulks and weights a lot for a single person to carry along with a gun or to handle dogs.

If your looking for a camera to use while hunting I would suggest some of the higher end point and shoots. Their sensor are nearly the same size as the DSLR cameras and have the same MP. If I were buying another one today it's what I would use. I may try hauling my D5200 with 70-300 mm Nixor lense this year in the gallery. It takes really nice pictures, just useless by yourself if your wanting to shoot or work dogs.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:57 pm

I shoot a Nikon D90, but it is overkill price wise honestly. Unless you are a professional photographer, most camera bodies are relatively the same, so spend less on the body and more on the lens. You honestly can't go wrong with a Canon T3i Rebel. For the money they are the best package cameras you can get I think. I have seen phenomenal pictures taken with them, and they have a competitive price to boot.