Subcutaneous lump

Gertie

Subcutaneous lump

Post by Gertie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:24 pm

I found a subcutaneous lump on my dog's rump just above the left hip joint. It's round and feels like it has the consistency of cartilage (kinda like the end of your nose) and about the size of a peanut. Any thoughts?

Donnytpburge

Re: Subcutaneous lump

Post by Donnytpburge » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:16 pm

does the dog live in the pen on concrete?

db

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:44 pm

No. She's a fairly heavily used hunting dog but lives in the house.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:03 am

My vet would tell me that if the nodule is not causing any problems ( oozing, getting irritated, seems itchy, etc) to keep an eye on it and let him know if it changes in size or character. He is usually more concerned if it's attached than unattached, meaning does it feel like it's part of skin, muscle, or bone, or does it roll around under your fingers like a marble? He would feel around the area and look for any more, as in lymph nodes.

My girl since passed had four or five lumps, which got to be around ping pong ball size. I had them removed because one of the was in her armpit and I thought it might bother her. They turned out to be lipomas. My old guy had a little peanut sized thingy under the skin of his chest for years, it never got bigger or smaller amd didn't warrant removal.

I would either watch and wait for a little while, and have the vet check it next time I was there, or if I was really nervous about it, have him check it out for my peace of mind. I wouldn't consider it an emergency situation unless it really ballooned.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:38 pm

Run your finger's under it and see if it's attached or floating. If your not sure, get her to your vet. Floating is generally a good sign. Attached is not.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks folks. I can't roll it with my fingers but it doesn't feel attached to anything. I have to take her into the vet for shots in a few weeks so I think I'm going to keep an eye on it until then unless it gets bigger or starts to bother her. Thanks again for the responses. Appreciated.

jczv

Post by jczv » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:08 pm

If the dogs going to be at the vet anyway I'd just have the vet get a few cells with a needle and check it. I had a dog with a lump that seemed pretty innocuous so I hadn't bothered to have it checked as some other lumps were checked and found non-cancerous. He was going to be under to get a few annoying things removed and the vet thought it looked a little different so decided to get some cells and check it out. It ended up cancerous and the vet was able to clean out a large area and apparently get it all (it's 6 months later).

His lump was in approximately the same place but larger and mushier.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:07 am

Holly, I think I'd go get the shot's three weeks early. Probably be nothing but have to be sure.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 pm

Don, My vet is also a good friend of mine. She's in Europe right now but will be back in a week. We usually take our dogs for a run together (she's a setter gal as well) and I'll have her check it out and if I need to get her in sooner then I will make it happen. I was concerned that whatever it is might need immediate attention but, from what I'm gathering here and elsewhere, it sounds like it's something that can be monitored for a bit. Thanks a bunch! I ended up coming down a bit sick so I didn't make it out to look for a rooster this week but when it warms up I might head your direction and go after some huns or chukar and it'd be great if you and the boys could come along! I'll give you a shout when it's not so dang cold!

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Most likely it is a lipoma. Nothing to worry about. But have the Vet check.