Puppy seems to hate crate during the day. Normal?

tckelsey

Puppy seems to hate crate during the day. Normal?

Post by tckelsey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:49 am

Hey guys, ive got my 13 week old GSP that is doing fantastic with everything except for his crate during the DAY. Is this normal for puppies at this age?

He seems to absolutely hate his wire crate.

But at night while sleepy hes perfect. We usually let him fall asleep and then put him in it and he goes right back to sleep. Ill wake up once at around 130-2am to let him out and then heck maybe whine for 1-2 minutes and go right back to sleep.

But during the day its an absolute different story. I try to keep the crate in the living room with the door open and around me when im doing stuff around the house, but he wont even go near it. I try to put treats, toys, and peanut butter in it but he doesnt budge. If I put him in for a few minutes hes whines and barks. I NEVER let him out if hes being noisy. Once hes in the crate he seems to get an attitude and wont eat the peanut butter or treats at all.

I want him to like his crate and for it to be his safe place, but after having him for 5 weeks now he doesnt seem to be going in that direction.

I guess im just asking if this is normal? Or should I be doing anything different?

Thanks! Kelsey

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy seems to hate crate during the day. Normal?

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Try feeding him in there as well. It's normal from what I remember, none of mine except one has really LOVED the crate during the day, when they could be with you instead.

tckelsey

Post by tckelsey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Gotcha! yea I forgot to mention I feed him ALL his meals in the crate, but most of the time he acts uninterested in his food if hes inside.

Ive read how attached GSPs can be to their owners, just didnt know how normal this behaviour is.

Thanks for the reply!

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Well you are doing the right thing by making him accept crate time whether he loves it or not. I have two brits one loves her crate and my male loathes his crate.At times they need to be crated,end of story.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Sleeping in there at night or when you go out is sufficient. Never had a dog that WANTED to be in a open crate when it could be with me or on the couch. :)

(edited for spelling)
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 pm

Sharon wrote:Sleeping in their at night or when you go out is sufficient. Never had a dog that WANTED to be in a open crate when it could be with me or on the couch. :)
+1

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:17 pm

The pup needs more time to be a pup, must have lots of physical, emotional,and mental activity, crates are boring and supply nothing.

Consider an outside kennel or fenced yard with lots of toys, and spend much more time with him.

Oh, I do not like wire crates.

Other than that you are doing great.

tckelsey

Post by tckelsey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. Good to know that hes normal lol :D

I def dont try to keep him in the crate when I dont have to, but sometimes I need to put him in there just to get stuff done when I cant keep an eye on him. Hes not 100% housetrained yet.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:49 am

He is a puppy and your home is not a democracy. Crate him and let him yell. He'll give up when sympathy dissapears.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:16 am

gonehuntin' wrote:He is a puppy and your home is not a democracy. Crate him and let him yell. He'll give up when sympathy dissapears.
I agree.
I used to crate him. From crate outside for potty first then playtime or puppy training then back into his crate when done.
Act like you don't hear them when their blatt'n . They are play'n on your emotions.
Smart little bugger's they are :D They hope their cry'n get them released. Hard love but well worth it.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:41 am

Rule 1 with any dog. A tired dog is a good dog. The problem is of course that humans tend to tire out before puppies. I've been telling my wife that my dog needs a puppy to play with. No success yet.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:He is a puppy and your home is not a democracy. Crate him and let him yell. He'll give up when sympathy dissapears.
I used to think that before I got my setter.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 am

I hear you, or him. :D Even puppies have to learn NO. I'll let them scream for a few days, then it's the ol' nose pinch and NO! If he doesn't shut up.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:21 am

The plastic airline type crates have always worked better for us than the wire ones. Our puppies seemed more secure in the solid crates and would chill out much better. Seems like with wire, they're out in the open, are stimulated by all the household activity/sights/sounds, but are stuck and unable to go anywhere ( kind of like those nightmares where you have to move but your feet are stuck in concrete :lol: ? )

Plastic crates are also much better at containing all the hair, scurf, and assorted mess that the dogs manufacture.

tckelsey

Post by tckelsey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! Not much has changed in the last few days, still doesnt like the crate very much.

He gets plenty of exercise multiple times a day, and i whole heartedly agree that a tired puppy is a good puppy.

For whatever reason, the last 2 nights he has been barking more in the crate after i let him out at about 130 am, im not too sure whats caused this recently. I make sure that i set an alarm and wake up before he wakes himself up. Normally he'll go back into the crate fine and only whine for 1-2 minutes. But the last 2 nights he has been full on barking. To the point that no one in the house can sleep. Hopefully that doesnt keep up for long :(

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:04 pm

I always found the outside kennel or the garage worked well when they became a problem. But we do things differently I think since I never set an alarm but rather waited till the pup woke me. Had several that never needed to go out during the night so I never had to get up. I am sure they learn very quickly what gets your attention when they want something and if it knows barking is causing you to stit around or get up even if you ignore the pup. it has learned what works and it will keep it up till you do something.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:40 pm

normal reaction the pup wants to be with you thats a good thing but there are times we just cant and have to kennel them most will learn during the day they might be in the kennel and adjust to this iv had some that never did adjust but would go right in at bedtime