DIY Trips

DeLo727

DIY Trips

Post by DeLo727 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Hey all, Ive had a few dogs over the years and been on my share of trips. But I have never been on a hunting trip with my dogs more than a couple hours away. Im finally a little older and in a place where I have some expendable income so I am curious. Where do you guys start when planning a DIY trip with your dogs. What do you take into consideration?

USMC

Re: DIY Trips

Post by USMC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:43 am

Road trip!

These are some of the things that I consider to make the most of my trips:

1. Find a buddy with the same hunting goals as you and who you really get along with. Prefeably somebody who brings a different set of skills than you do. Example, my buddy is an outstanding mechanic and I am not....

2. What birds do you want to chase? Look for the best area and that should define where you are heading to. We use bird population, hunter friendly, land access, hotels as some quick criteria.. Get hold of game biologist in the area and ask away.

3. Packing list

4. Plan and plan,

Hope I helped you...

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:08 am

First, get a hunting atlas from the state you are looking at and the bird you are going to hunt, will dictate the state.

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:31 pm

USMC wrote:Road trip! 1. Find a buddy with the same hunting goals as you and who you really get along with.

This is hall of fame advice. Nothing can ruin your trip more than the people you go with.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 pm

And goals for what you're going to be hunting. I know some guys I have a great time dove hunting with, we do a 4 day weekend trip to dove hunt every year, it's a blast.

They are ok to pheasant hunt with.

I don't like quail hunting with them...

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:09 am

DeLo, I'd start by looking at public lands in the west. You have a diversity of bird species.(Waterfowl, chukars, huns, quail, forest grouse, sage and sharptail grouse). F&G's have plenty of info on these land and those programs that open private lands to hunting. Campgrounds and motels are available depending on your comfort needs. I know it's long way out here but if you want some info on Idaho, send me a PM.(Offer goes for any other forum folks too.)

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks guys, all good things to think about especially in the resource department. But I don't think I wrote my question as clearly as I would like. Im wondering how you plan the hunting aspect of things i.e where to hunt once you have chosen your destination. But I am also concerned how you plan out travel with your animal. I wonder about finding a vet, the right vet not just any old quack. How dogs handle being in the car for possibly days, finding dog friendly places etc.
Is there good resources for things like this or do you guys pretty much wing it or cold call on things.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:41 pm

As I said previously, an Atlas from the state you are going to will tell of all the public area's available to hunt. I have a dog trailer, but a crate or dog box will work for hauling; as for staying there are a lot of Motel's that allow dogs in the room for a minimal charge, just need to call and ask.
Hope this helps. :)

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:54 pm

I travel once or twice a year with hunting dogs long distance (2 days or more travel time). Here's some things I have learned. Bring stake outs for each dog especially if you're headed to a new situation or there will be lots of other dogs or people you don't know. Bring a crate or box of some type for each dog so they have their own safe space. Lots of dogs associate the truck as being the safe space in an unfamiliar place. Make a habit of using rest areas ALOT. I like to feed at rest areas also. I bring check cords for feeding, or just a truck break. Realize rest areas are full of rabbits and other fun stuff to chase. Secure your dog well even if he has good recall. I have heard of very good dogs being mowed down on the freeway chasing from a rest area. Don't ignore the natural rhythms of the dogs needing exercise or at least air around sundown. Even if you intend to keep driving at night. You are in for a long night with a freaked out dog if you don't make a stop around that time. Bring camping stuff, dogs do better camped out. Motels are often necessary but freaky for amped up dogs that have been in the truck all day. Be patient, there is no sleeping in traveling with dogs. Leave dogs in the truck until you're ready to go to sleep unless they're motel rats already. Get a 1st floor room. If you are traveling thru bigger towns, BringFido.com will save you a lot of calling around for a room. Country vets are always better than city vets. Get that country vet's # in your phone. Bring vaccination records with. Always get a rabies certificate from your home vet if you are hunting out of state or on an Indian reservation, it is the law. Pack gallon jugs of water, they go through a lot of water when they're stressed and you can refill pretty easy on the way. If you have a hard keeper or a stress case, a bag of McDonald's cheeseburgers goes a long ways. Don't ever get stressed around the dogs. They are already stressed and will pick up on yours. Even if you're offloading your dogs from your broken down rig on a tow truck, don't let 'em see you sweat. These were all hard earned experiences for me, hope it helps you plan a great trip and avoid some dog disasters. :D

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 am

Leeza wrote:I travel once or twice a year with hunting dogs long distance (2 days or more travel time). Here's some things I have learned. Bring stake outs for each dog especially if you're headed to a new situation or there will be lots of other dogs or people you don't know. Bring a crate or box of some type for each dog so they have their own safe space. Lots of dogs associate the truck as being the safe space in an unfamiliar place. Make a habit of using rest areas ALOT. I like to feed at rest areas also. I bring check cords for feeding, or just a truck break. Realize rest areas are full of rabbits and other fun stuff to chase. Secure your dog well even if he has good recall. I have heard of very good dogs being mowed down on the freeway chasing from a rest area. Don't ignore the natural rhythms of the dogs needing exercise or at least air around sundown. Even if you intend to keep driving at night. You are in for a long night with a freaked out dog if you don't make a stop around that time. Bring camping stuff, dogs do better camped out. Motels are often necessary but freaky for amped up dogs that have been in the truck all day. Be patient, there is no sleeping in traveling with dogs. Leave dogs in the truck until you're ready to go to sleep unless they're motel rats already. Get a 1st floor room. If you are traveling thru bigger towns, BringFido.com will save you a lot of calling around for a room. Country vets are always better than city vets. Get that country vet's # in your phone. Bring vaccination records with. Always get a rabies certificate from your home vet if you are hunting out of state or on an Indian reservation, it is the law. Pack gallon jugs of water, they go through a lot of water when they're stressed and you can refill pretty easy on the way. If you have a hard keeper or a stress case, a bag of McDonald's cheeseburgers goes a long ways. Don't ever get stressed around the dogs. They are already stressed and will pick up on yours. Even if you're offloading your dogs from your broken down rig on a tow truck, don't let 'em see you sweat. These were all hard earned experiences for me, hope it helps you plan a great trip and avoid some dog disasters. :D
Exactly what I was looking for...thanks a ton for writing it

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:26 pm

I would agree with almost all of that except for using rest areas.

I would find any place other than a rest area to get my dogs out of the car. Rest areas are like JFK airport for dog diseases. Look elsewhere. There are many other places to take the dogs out to stretch that aren't full of viruses and bacteria.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:46 pm

first thing is what king of birds do you want to hunt then do some reserching ..second how much pub..land for ex.i started hunting grouse in michigan 20 years ago thats my kind of hunting that i like in fact i liked it so much i now have a cabin up there and spend all summer and hunting season lot of pub land up there
i would check with motels or cabin rentals to see if they will let your dog stay

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:41 pm

If you venture to South Dakota they have an app for you phone that uses its GPS and has all the public land marked.