Wondering if Bar Lee Setters is real/fraudulent?

robgibson726

Wondering if Bar Lee Setters is real/fraudulent?

Post by robgibson726 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi folks, if anyone reads this. I sent a deposit to Larry Lee at Bar Lee Setters in Bend, Oregon.

Wondering if anyone has actually met a "Larry Lee" of Bar Lee Setters?

I'm offering this question as a topic because I didn't meet Larry before sending my $300 deposit for an English Setter puppy.

I asked for my deposit back after apparent multiple litter failures this year in his two females Lucy and Lola.

He's always a kind, chatty guy but there has been a long story accompanying each of my inquiries.

Thought I'd offer this comment in case it helps someone save $300 and Bar Lee isn't real.
Thanks a lot and I welcome your comments.
Robert

Loganmike

Re: Wondering if Bar Lee Setters is real/fraudulent?

Post by Loganmike » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:43 am

Hi there,
My girl Lucy is from Bar Lee and Larry is a stand up guy. Lucy just turned 4. Which reminds me it is about time to get on the list for another:)

I believe Gertie on here also has a BarLee setter.

Cheers
Mike

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Gertie is a Bar Lee. so are my Squirt and Bodie. Love them both but at my age, they run way to big for me. A friend has a Bar Lee also and it doesn't run like that. is is a nice foot hunting dog, seldom out more than a couple hundred yds. a problem is that one real bad problem is that both of mine came down with arthritis by 5 yrs old. Squirt in his right hip and Bodie in both ankles and front feet. They go for to much run now and they are stove up for a couple days. Hasn't happened to Gertie or any other Bar lee dog I know of but, Larry Told me a few years ago that it was arthritis that ended Sunrise's trial career. Both my guy's have a lot of Sunrise in them.

I've seen Gertie down a number of time's in training and several time's in field trials. She's a neat little dog with good range but keep's track of Holly better than mine keep track of me. BTW, last couple year's, Squirt has got a lot better about keeping track of me. I have another friend with a Bar Lee dog and his dog doesn't have even remotely the leg's of Squirt, Gertie and especially Bodie. I had to buy a tracking collar just to find Bodie when he's running. He doesn't find birds pretty quick, he goes looking. farthest he's gone out with the collar on was 2 1/2 mi! Tremendous desire! Both Squirt and Bodie started pointing very quickly and both natural backer's.

Down side is retrieving, neither of mine are good retrieve's but they both do it. I had Bodie on a preserve hunt and in the vehicle and shot a bird over water for a shorthair that didn't see the bird fall for all the cattail so I put him up and took Bodie over and sent him and to my surprise he swam straight to the bird, got it and came back but once out of the water, spit the bird and wouldn't pick it up again. I don't know how Gertie retrieve's but my other friend's dog will not retrieve at all. If the bird is wounded he'll kill it then leave it. I got to watch him on a shot bird once and he ran straight at the bird, ran right over the top of it and kept on going. My friend told me it's normal but he love's that dog and tolerate's it. he has since got a shorthair that would fetch the Queen Mary if sent!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 pm

My Gertie dog is out of one of Larry's client's females (Barlee's Fallen Angel) and one of Rich Robertson's dogs (Idaho's Sunrise Repete). Dam is Sunrise/Smith bred. Sire is Sunrise line bred. Neither parent belonged to Larry but he is who I dealt with and wrote the check to. It took about a year and a half from the time I gave him a deposit to when I received my pup (similar experience with failed litters, etc.).

As far as Gertie, she's on the smaller side (38-40 lbs), has a nice 11 o'clock tail, and a pretty square head. She has a fairly consistent Shooting Dog range (200-400 yards) with the occasional huge cast (1000+ yards) in big country. Don's right though, she always checks in. She is very athletic and is not afraid to bomb through the cover and is very intense on her points (lots of fun to hunt behind). She's a little over 3 now and I've had no health issues with her (not genetic anyway). She went and trained with Sherry Ebert and Sherry said she's one of the smartest setters she's worked with in a while. She is not a natural backer. She's learned but was a bit of a pill when it came to training for it. Also, she retrieved a bit when she was young but has no interest in it now. Just like Don's friend, she'll kill a cripple and then just stand there next to it but has no desire to bring it to me. I'm going to have to force break her if I want her to do that. She is a bit soft but has a stubborn streak which can make things complicated when training. She does have a wonderful disposition though and is a pleasure to be around in the house and always has been (never chewed much either), she came out good on her hip x-rays and other genetic health screenings, and has a really nice soft coat. Besides DonF, I know of a couple other folks who have Larry's dogs and they are really happy with them as well. From what I'm hearing, pups out of his dog "Ace" seem to be more inclined to retrieve.

Below are a couple of photos of Gertie. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Gertie on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loganmike

Post by Loganmike » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Lucy is out of Ace and Remi.

She will retrieve just fine and also is a bugger when backing.

She will range out like Gertie but usually is 200 or so and takes hand signals very very well. Also always checks in!

Best family dog ever!!!!

Me

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 am

robgibson726 wrote:Hi folks, if anyone reads this. I sent a deposit to Larry Lee at Bar Lee Setters in Bend, Oregon.

Wondering if anyone has actually met a "Larry Lee" of Bar Lee Setters?

I'm offering this question as a topic because I didn't meet Larry before sending my $300 deposit for an English Setter puppy.

I asked for my deposit back after apparent multiple litter failures this year in his two females Lucy and Lola.

He's always a kind, chatty guy but there has been a long story accompanying each of my inquiries.

Thought I'd offer this comment in case it helps someone save $300 and Bar Lee isn't real.
Thanks a lot and I welcome your comments.
Robert
I too put a deposit down on a pup from Larry. I find a statement in this post interesting as Gertie said she was delayed in getting a pup because of failed litters. Larry told me he never had a problem wth failed breedings before this year? My suspicions started after the supposedly 2nd breeding failed. I never recieved a call about the any of the litters failing as I always had to inquire way past the time when the pup's should have been whelped. Robert... I went and bought a pup a couple of months ago figuering lesson learned, about no refund for deposits. I still have my deposit out on a pup from Larry, if it ever happens. Small claims court would be a option for getting your deposit back. Loganmike if your still thinking of getting another pup from Larry, maybe we can make a deal.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 pm

It happens females dont take or the male for some reason doesn't want to release semen which believe that one or not a male can hold that part of the process back ( We sat on a reproduction seminar )
Or many reason it can happen
Patience as I am pretty sure he is frustrated over the situation also

robgibson726

Post by robgibson726 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies folks! It's appreciated and I'm just trying to be patient hoping things work out well.

robgibson726

Post by robgibson726 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:24 am

Thank you