Cold ?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Cold ?

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:40 am

I read in the headlines of one of today's newspapers that a 100 mile wide swathe of Scotland is at present 2 degrees colder than it is in Anchorage, Alaska and is only one degree warmer than the worlds coldest inhabited place somewhere in northern Siberia. Surely that cannot be correct ? I've been out with the dogs for an hour or so this morning while wearing no jacket, just a shirt and a thick pullover and sure, it was cold but not all that cold .

I only have about an inch of snow here at the moment , I've often experienced far colder conditions than this so either the newspapers have got it wrong or I'm a bit tougher than I thought I was !

Bill T.

Max2

Re: Cold ?

Post by Max2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:54 am

Cold here in upstate NY . I may have to pull on a pair of the brown jersey gloves this afternoon when myself & heal~shiner go out in pursuit of upland ruff~lll~ed grouse's . I stop by this forum quite often without signing in as it seems a little stale as of late. It's a new year folks ! Start post'n ! :D

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:01 am

You are probably tougher than you think.
It is -22 F here this morning, no wind, low humidity and when the sun comes up it will be quite nice. Some mornings with a bit of breeze, warmer temps and high humidity feel colder. I will wear a coat when I run the dogs though. I am for sure not tougher than I think I am.
The dogs feet get cold and we have to make the ones with puppies do not stay out too long.
Have a nice day................Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:31 am

-2 with 25 mph NW wind supposed to feel like 20 something below. Suppose to bw almost 10 degrees colder tonight but then start to warm up. Our weather is often colder than Anchorage but you have to remember they are on the southern edge and get the warmth from the Japanese water current that swings by then before coming south along the western coast of the US. Just remember this is all due to Global Warming.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 am

Wind chill advisories up all day. Should be -25 t0 -30.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 am

It's -20F here with a 10 mph wind making the windchill temp -42F. I'll wait to go out until it's "warm" today... when we get to -6F.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:23 am

Only -6C here right now

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 am

Ocean currents move warm water north, forcing cold air south. Got so cold this morning in MN, many of us zipped up our coats, some even wore gloves. Uff da!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:47 am

DougB wrote:Ocean currents move warm water north, forcing cold air south. Got so cold this morning in MN, many of us zipped up our coats, some even wore gloves. Uff da!!!
First I had ever known that warm water pushes cold air. lol

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I read in the headlines of one of today's newspapers that a 100 mile wide swathe of Scotland is at present 2 degrees colder than it is in Anchorage, Alaska and is only one degree warmer than the worlds coldest inhabited place somewhere in northern Siberia. Surely that cannot be correct ? I've been out with the dogs for an hour or so this morning while wearing no jacket, just a shirt and a thick pullover and sure, it was cold but not all that cold .

I only have about an inch of snow here at the moment , I've often experienced far colder conditions than this so either the newspapers have got it wrong or I'm a bit tougher than I thought I was !

Bill T.
Looking at the current temp here, -7F/-22C, Glasgow 33F/1C........ You are experiencing, what we would call a heat wave. :D
Last night here -18F/-28C

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:28 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
DougB wrote:Ocean currents move warm water north, forcing cold air south. Got so cold this morning in MN, many of us zipped up our coats, some even wore gloves. Uff da!!!
First I had ever known that warm water pushes cold air. lol
They move energy, and warm water heats cold air. Air moves and the cold stuff heads for MN. And my back yard.
http://education.nationalgeographic.org ... d-climate/
The global conveyor belt includes both surface and deep ocean currents that circulate the globe in a 1,000-year cycle. The global conveyor belt’s circulation is the result of two simultaneous processes: warm surface currents carrying less dense water away from the Equator toward the poles, and cold deep ocean currents carrying denser water away from the poles toward the Equator. The ocean’s global circulation system plays a key role in distributing heat energy, regulating weather and climate, and cycling vital nutrients and gases.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Bill T.[/quote]
Looking at the current temp here, -7F/-22C, Glasgow 33F/1C........ You are experiencing, what we would call a heat wave. :D
Last night here -18F/-28C[/quote]

But I read about this in a newspaper and everyone knows they never lie ............ :roll: :lol:

Bill T.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Trekmoor wrote:
But I read about this in a newspaper and everyone knows they never lie ............ :roll: :lol:

Bill T.
Any ice fishing in Scotland?

asc

Post by asc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Had to stash my flip flops and put on shoes here..

Gonna be 37 tonight and only a high of 65 tomorrow... Hope me and the wife survive.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:44 pm

asc wrote:Had to stash my flip flops and put on shoes here..

Gonna be 37 tonight and only a high of 65 tomorrow... Hope me and the wife survive.
Because we report the temps doesn't mean we think it is bad. I'll take the cold along with the pheasants, grouse, and partridge and you can have the fleas, alligators, snakes, fire ants, and heat with humidity. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm but can't take enough off to stay cool.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:41 pm

I reckon Billy was wearing the right clothes :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ixc3EzgBJQ

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Never know about Billy anymore. He us getting older you know. They say the mind is the second thing to go.