Spinones.....How many Spinone owners on here?

Melinda

Spinones.....How many Spinone owners on here?

Post by Melinda » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 pm

We had a dog show up here before Thanksgiving. We thought she was a mutt, until we saw the Walgreen's Christmas commercial with one on it! I plastered her all over social media and let my neighbors know that I had a dog, that looked like a rug, LOL, if anyone showed up looking for her. I even carried her to the vet to make sure she didn't have a chip. Well, I guess we are her new owners. I've grown quite attached to her, but she has been a challenge! I we have a Blue Heeler, and Welsh Corgi, also 3 horses that we barrel race. I grew up with Shetland Sheepdogs. I've done obedience training. Sandy, (Spinone) is very smart, but sometimes she just ignores me.....Like when she sees the Lab across the field....She is gone and I have to fetch her back. So, she hasn't been loose again, until she understands the Recall. This weekend, we took her with us to our vacation house. She had to stay in a crate, on a cable, or spent time in the house on a leash, as she has not learned that it is unacceptable to jump on people. My elderly parents were there. She was laying at my feet last night and I hear something, :evil: she is chewing on my coffee table :cry: I probably gave her a headache! She had a chew bone right there.

greg jacobs

Re: Spinones.....How many Spinone owners on here?

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:41 am

Might try contacting the local dog club that sponsored the dog show. They may have information if the dog was lost by one of the show people. Many people travel to the shows from out of town. There are a few scruffy shaggy hunting breeds like a griffon. Growing up with shelties, the absolute easiest breed to train,.may not have given you the tools you will need to correct unacceptable behavior in a grown sporting breed. The best results would be to find the original owner which looks like what you want. We appreciate that your first move wasn't to drop the dog off at the local shelter. In the end finding a hunting family to rehome the dog with might be a posibillity. Thanks for doing so much for the dog already.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:45 am

Where was the dog show and what was the date. Might be someone on here that could figure out who sponsored it.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:55 am

Post a picture. Someone might be able to identify the breed. Resize the picture to 500 the big way before posting it. If you need a hand let me know and I'll help.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:45 am

The dog in the commercial isn't a Spinone.

Melinda

Post by Melinda » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:11 am

MonsterDad wrote:The dog in the commercial isn't a Spinone.
Sandy looks exactly like that dog, but her tail is not cropped. Do you know what the breed is then?

Melinda

Post by Melinda » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:16 am

greg jacobs wrote:Where was the dog show and what was the date. Might be someone on here that could figure out who sponsored it.
Greg, I see how you misunderstood me. There was no dog show, but the dog showed up at my house. I am guessing that she is under a 1 year old. And no training what so ever, until now. I did grow up with Shelties and they are so easy to train, but the Blue Heelers are a different story. And, I have owned a field trail bred Lab. She was fun! I am real happy with my progress with her, considering that I didn't get to start with her as a pup.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:21 pm

I read it first that there was a dog show but when rereading it I realized she is saying the dog showed up at their house.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Melinda wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:The dog in the commercial isn't a Spinone.
Sandy looks exactly like that dog, but her tail is not cropped. Do you know what the breed is then?
The dog in the commercial is most likely a Griffon or German Wirehair. If I had to bet I would say a Griffon cause of the dusty brown color.

A Spinone has a more angular head and a much stiffer coat than the dog in the commercial. Spinones are also heavier built.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:46 am

if it really matters a DNA test may be the surest way to know the breed, but I doubt it's worth it.

I just think of the heartbreak I'd experience if I lost one of my dogs. I'd be a mess. A blubbering mess. I'd miss work looking, I'd be calling everyone I could.

If I were you I'd continue trying to find the owner. Some people (like me) travel with their dogs... everywhere, including cross country trips. Social media is good but still has its limits and they may not have seen the post or any repost. Did you contact the local law enforcement or local shelters? Some people contact those organizations when they aren't local and don't know where else to look.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:54 am

Opps. Sure misunderstood. And yes, had a heeler when farming and they are sure no Sheltie. Sounds like all is going well.

shiloh123

Post by shiloh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 am

Contact the Spinone Club of America. Spinoni are a rare breed and if one has gone missing, they'd likely know about it. The fact that it is not chiped is not unusual...not all breeders/owners chip their dogs.