18 Week Old Vizsla Weight

VizslaChance

18 Week Old Vizsla Weight

Post by VizslaChance » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:31 pm

I have a 18 week Male Vizsla puppy and he weighs 23 lbs. I look at other V's online around his age and they seem much larger. Now i must add that at 8 weeks he had a mid shaft femoral fracture and wasn't eating as well as he should've and at 14 weeks he had worms that were maybe sucking up his nutrients. I asked the vet about it and he says he doesn't see anything wrong and that he looks healthy. Could he be the runt of the litter? Will he hit a spurt here soon? I feed him blue buffalo wilderness puppy food along with a canned blue wilderness puppy wet food. He eats it but doesn't go absolutely nuts over it, he's not much of a gouger when it comes to eating either. he's happy, energetic, and his leg has healed fabulously. Can anyone give me any answers??

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: 18 Week Old Vizsla Weight

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:04 pm

VizslaChance wrote:I have a 18 week Male Vizsla puppy and he weighs 23 lbs. I look at other V's online around his age and they seem much larger. Now i must add that at 8 weeks he had a mid shaft femoral fracture and wasn't eating as well as he should've and at 14 weeks he had worms that were maybe sucking up his nutrients. I asked the vet about it and he says he doesn't see anything wrong and that he looks healthy. Could he be the runt of the litter? Will he hit a spurt here soon? I feed him blue buffalo wilderness puppy food along with a canned blue wilderness puppy wet food. He eats it but doesn't go absolutely nuts over it, he's not much of a gouger when it comes to eating either. he's happy, energetic, and his leg has healed fabulously. Can anyone give me any answers??
Size is the result of genetics while weight is a product of condition as well as size. But all you need to be concerned with is the condition and forget the size and weight,

Ezzy

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Haha he'll be just fine. If you know the sizes of the site and dam you'll have a general idea of his. I worried my springer was going to be "too small" but she's about the same size as her mother now. Just as expected.

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:27 pm

What everyone else said. But, get rid of the canned cancer. Feed adult Pro Plan only and you will see a difference. Vizslas are skinny compared to Labs and the other retrievers. A little rib and backbone showing is perfect. If you want to treat the dog put a dollop of plain white yogurt on the feed. A real treat and good for him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Vizsla chance:

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get LOTS of opinions on what to feed. :) Don't worry about what you are feeding.

What you are feeding is just fine, although you can get good dog food for less money.

I've never seen a fat vizsla.

VizslaChance

Post by VizslaChance » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. Even at 18 weeks i can feed him Adult Pro Plan? And what are some other good Adult foods that are cheaper but not filled with all the bs?

VizslaChance

Post by VizslaChance » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Ive attached a picture of him below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:17 am

Look at the guaranteed analysis on the back of Blue, Fat% & Protien% Let us know what it is. Probably 27% Protein and 16% fat. That is fine.
Than do the same with the canned cancer. Probably 10 % & 7% from what I seen at their site.
If you fed 50/50 you dropped your Protein down to 18.5% and the fat down to 11.5%. You are robbing your dog of needed Protein and fat content.
And the reason it is low on fat and protein is because it is nothing more than crap.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Nice looking pup :!: :D

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 pm

In that picture, I see nothing wrong with his weight.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Vman wrote:Look at the guaranteed analysis on the back of Blue, Fat% & Protien% Let us know what it is. Probably 27% Protein and 16% fat. That is fine.
Than do the same with the canned cancer. Probably 10 % & 7% from what I seen at their site.
If you fed 50/50 you dropped your Protein down to 18.5% and the fat down to 11.5%. You are robbing your dog of needed Protein and fat content.
And the reason it is low on fat and protein is because it is nothing more than crap.
Sorry, but this is utter nonsense. You are comparing a wet food with 78% moisture (which gets counted towards the Guaranteed Analysis in percentage terms), with a dry food. It makes an apples and oranges comparison.

To the OP, from the picture it is hard to tell. Vizsla have cat-like feet, your dogs seem especially small. Foot size is not a perfect predictor of eventual size, but my guess is yours will be small (which comports with current weight).

Vizslas should be lean, and are often gangly in youth. Mine (20 months) is getting ripped, but he still shows ribs. To me that is ideal.

My Vizsla has been on a raw diet since 8 weeks and I feel it is the best decision I could have made regarding diet.

Best with yours,

Bill

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Based on your photo, pup looks good to me. A good friend of mine is a vet and says that it's a good thing when dogs show a little bit of rib (especially the back 2-3) and it's always better in the long-run to be slightly underweight than over. A few of us would probably be wise to take the same advice :lol:
Last edited by Gertie on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VizslaChance

Post by VizslaChance » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:58 pm

The only reason i had asked this question is because i wanted a larger vizsla. Due to the distance between me and the breeder i was unable to see the Sire & Dam in person. I had a vizsla/english setter mix prior to this pup. I feel they were close in size as pups and my mix ended up being a healthy 58 lbs & quite large. I'm probably overreacting and just need to be patient. I thank you all for the input on food and the people who even sent me messages about this! it is much appreciated. I've also attached another photo of a side view of him, i think he will be fine i just figured id ask so i can keep him as healthy as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:35 pm

:) So true.

My vet likes a dog to have some fat - no ribs showing. She believes that if they get sick they need something to fall back on.( I'll use that excuse too. :)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Pup looks good to me, might be smaller than you wanted but there is nothing wrong with a smallish pointing dog. I have a good size male GSP that is 60lbs with a few ribs showing, my friend has a 40 something pound little female and she will cover more ground in a day and be ready to go the next day and the day after that.

I keep him looking like this and any Vet that knew their way around a bird dog said his weight is good.