dog box size ?

ibbowhunting

dog box size ?

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm building a kennel into a trailer what is the minimum L W H per stall that will still work great for the dogs the last box I built each stall was roughly 30 x 22 x 24 which works good but I need to conserve space on this build, for the length of this box I have 28 1/2" . for the width (last box 22") I would like to make it as skinny as possible and still work fine for the dogs how much narrower can I make it ? the height is not that important but if 24 is over kill I would like to make it smaller is possible, narrowing the width of the kennel is where the most benefit to the project is, this kennel will house my Brittanys the male is a 56 pounder he a good sized britt

I understand you all don't build kennels just wondering what size kennels, Crates, dog boxs or trailer stalls work for you?

Thanks in advance for your input

Southwind

Re: dog box size ?

Post by Southwind » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:40 am

The biggest GSP I had was about 65lbs and was a big framed dog. The holes in my trailer are 24"x24"x24". The holes in my 4 hole box for the back of my truck are 30"x15"x24" tall. I could probably get by with the boxes only being 20" tall too. The big dog fit comfortably in both. Dogs curl up with the lay down. For safety reasons you really don't want a dog standing in transit, and the smaller the compartment the less a dog will fly around in the event of a vehicle crash.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Southwind wrote:The biggest GSP I had was about 65lbs and was a big framed dog. The holes in my trailer are 24"x24"x24". The holes in my 4 hole box for the back of my truck are 30"x15"x24" tall. I could probably get by with the boxes only being 20" tall too. The big dog fit comfortably in both. Dogs curl up with the lay down. For safety reasons you really don't want a dog standing in transit, and the smaller the compartment the less a dog will fly around in the event of a vehicle crash.

15" wide and the dogs travel fine in it? that would be awesome for my project i'm guess I will be somewhere between the 15" - 22 "

just checking thanks for the reply

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 am

I am of the opinion that as long as a dog has room to climb in, turn around and lay down, he has plenty of room. Living in TN, I travel further than I used to with the dogs. They make the trip from TN to KS just fine. I try not to go more than 4 hrs before I let them out to stretch.