Snakes??

deseeker

Snakes??

Post by deseeker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:08 pm

I was reading the American Brittany Magazine today and was reading the write up on the Montana Brittany Club trial at Sun River Montana. I am going to quote part of the write up.

"This year we saw multiple rattlers on the gun dog course and several on the all age course. One Brittany was bitten while competing. Fortunately we had a vet on site with antivenin and the dog recovered. Also the last day of the trial a horse was bitten within the camp area. The horse also recovered."

My question is--How common is this at other trials in snake states?? Also do you have a marshall or someone shoot them while the stake is going on, or are they just left alone, posing a risk for the following braces?? I'm just curious because I never field trialed or hunt tested in snake areas?? :roll:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Snakes??

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:51 am

I killed 6 Mojave's in one weekend at a trial in Southern Cali. They are possibly the worst snake if a dog gets bitten.

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Apparently, we in MN have a shortage of snakes with fangs. DNR converted deer hunting land in the Mississippi River valley in to a snake sanctuary. Timber Rattlers need love too. Sometimes, you just wonder....

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 pm

I have seen a few rattlers in Montana, mostly south of the Yellowstone. I did bump into two big ones with minutes of each other on Mud Creek, near Sun River a couple years ago. They like to hang out near water, where there are lots of mice, gophers, etc. to feed on.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:07 pm

Years ago I went to a trial on the firing range of Ft Lewis up in Wash just south of Vantage. Place had lot's of snake's but only encountered a few that week end. They had used the place before because the old timer's talked about them. Get off a horse and go in to flush and the dog has a rattler! Good stuff! At this point in my life I avoid place's like that if I know of them. Avoid place's where wolfe's have been sighted also. I've only ever had one dog bit and in the past I have hunted places like that. The bite my dog got was om a wrist and appeared to be a dry bite. He felt terrible a couple days, one which he spent at the vet, and that whole leg swelled up like you would not believe.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:25 am

If in snake country, get avoidance training. Last week, my dog encountered an old piece of garden hose coiled up. She jumped straight back and ran sideways around the hose. She avoids by site and scent.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:07 am

We have lived in Arizona since 1981 and during this time I have only seen 3 snakes in the wild. I have run a lot of dogs in the desert over the years. I think the key for me this I never run my dogs in the desert during the summer or when it is very warm. All of my dogs have been snake broke. The majority of field trials down here take place in the desert in January February. Morning temperatures in Sonoita can be in the teens even though they may rise to the mid 60's during the day. Having said that even with the low temperatures we have seen the occasional rattlesnake during that time of year. All of the summer I work dogs in the White Mountains at elevations between 6,000 & 9,000 feet. No issues up here.