Two females shorthairs in the house?

Kube

Post by Kube » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:12 am

Hi forum. Long time, no post.

So my German shorthair is almost 9, super laid back, and incredibly well behaved. She is a house dog that hunts with me in season and goes on various adventures the rest of the year. Lately I have had the itch to get another one, but with my busy life I have been considering taking on a dog that's done with it's puppy hood. I should emphasize considering, not set on it. Anyway, there happens to be a little female shorthair at our local shelter. I went to visit her and the shelter people said that I should be cautious of having two females. They said they will want to challenge each other for rank, but that I wouldn't have that problem with male and female in the house. I know those volunteers are well meaning, but I also believe that they don't know many shorthairs.

So my question: Is there any truth to the idea that two females will have more trouble getting along in the house vs a male/female combination?

MNTonester

Re: Two females shorthairs in the house?

Post by MNTonester » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:46 am

I can only mention my youngest brother's experience with two female labs in the house. Never had a problem with either dog trying to establish dominance (other than over his wife who thought both of them were kids and babied them)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 am

The short answer. Maybe. I never gave a short answer to any question in my life.
I think it is highly unlikely that there would be a issue. Especially if they are both spayed. depends on the personality, yours and theirs .........................Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:51 am

I have 2 females in my house and no issues. If they get too rough I end it.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Whether a shorthair or a collie makes not a jot !
Whether it's two females makes not a jot!
Whether it's two males makes not a jot!
Whether it's one older and one younger makes not a jot!
Whether one is spayed or both are spayed makes not a jot!
(imo)
What makes it work is the environment and the people within it does.
The only thing I would agree with your shelter folk is 'When two females don't get on and allowed to, them bitches take it far more serious and personal'' than most guys :lol:

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:17 pm

polmaise wrote: The only thing I would agree with your shelter folk is 'When two females don't get on and allowed to, them bitches take it far more serious and personal'' than most guys :lol:
lol..no doubt about it, what the man says be true!! :|

--

Although not a large sample..we've never had any issue no matter the sex nor the quantity of dogs at any given moment over the years regardless of breed/age/sex

Of course all dogs have their own personality..maybe we've just been lucky??

pooch897

Post by pooch897 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:41 pm

I had 2 females(not gsp) a few years apart and no major issues. A couple fights over bones but nothing major. Now I have one 10 year old Boston terrier female and a 10 month old Brittany male. Now that's a handful haha. She gives me dirty looks I swear

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:27 pm

pooch897 wrote:I had 2 females(not gsp) a few years apart and no major issues. A couple fights over bones but nothing major. Now I have one 10 year old Boston terrier female and a 10 month old Brittany male. Now that's a handful haha. She gives me dirty looks I swear
I have a 13 year old male Yorkie and a one year male old Setter.

...he gives me looks regularly. Everything used to be so perfect!

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Two females. Should look something like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:29 pm

NEhomer wrote:
pooch897 wrote:I had 2 females(not gsp) a few years apart and no major issues. A couple fights over bones but nothing major. Now I have one 10 year old Boston terrier female and a 10 month old Brittany male. Now that's a handful haha. She gives me dirty looks I swear
I have a 13 year old male Yorkie and a one year male old Setter.

...he gives me looks regularly. Everything used to be so perfect!

Very hard on an old dog to have a youngster bugging them. I keep a close eye that the youngster isn't making the Senior dog's life too miserable.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:03 pm

You are getting a lot of should be fine. From what I've seen, if they both are free in the house, one will be dominate and can affect the personality of the other. When the younger finally decides to rule the roost you just hope it doesn't last to long. Had a friend that had two female gsp's that were close to the same age. It wasn't good for years. You couldn't leave them together. I try to keep one of each. The female always rules the house. It's not always a problem but it can be.

Kube

Post by Kube » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:26 am

My thought is that it depended on the behavior of the individual dog not the gender. Thanks for the replies.

6pack

Post by 6pack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:57 am

my oldest shorthair rossi use to be bad when I had 2 intact females in the house every time her or my other one came in heat they would fight like no other and rossi was always the one to start it she would go after my males to. and when she would fight she was out for blood I would usually have to pry them apart. now that shes older and has been spayed she is fine my other female will go and sit right on top of her and she could care less.